PDA

View Full Version : Ecovillagers?

Juniper138
November 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Any folks living on an ecovillage here? My family and I are in the process of forming one.
Cheers!

Shanti
November 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I looked at your website and am curious, whats the difference between what your trying to do and homesteading?

Juniper138
November 20th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Terminology mostly, there's an actual Ecovillage zoning that has been used out here in BC. Say "homestead" to a government type and she goes "huh, you mean a farm?"

madness
November 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Neat! I wouldn't mind doing something like that in another life. I'm pretty well stuck in my ways these days though.

aranarose
November 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Terminology mostly, there's an actual Ecovillage zoning that has been used out here in BC. Say "homestead" to a government type and she goes "huh, you mean a farm?"

I can see that happening. "Homestead" is also often used to describe your primary residence. When I bought my house I had to go down and homestead my property taxes, so that I got the lower rate. Landlords pay higher property taxes. They were previously $800 on this house, but now that I've homesteaded it, they're $275. Big difference.

The state also offers a Homestead Property Tax Credit.

So legally, a homestead is simply where you make your primary home. I can see why they would make a legal distinction with ecovillages, because it comes closer to describing what we here think of homesteaders.

Shanti
November 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM
When I say homesteading, it means living by farming but not for profit.

Well ecovillage it the same as farming, but in a group?
We are farming but not for profit, just for ourselves.
We could share too, if we had more space and wanted too.
Some farmers do actually but with out the village label attached.

Whats the difference?
With the eco part in the word, I was thinking more an all natural, hand built like, kinda like very old Amish.
But it seems no different than a basic group of people living a farming style of life.

Here, unless you are Amish, it would be considered a commune lifestyle and looked down upon.

If it was all a built and done by hand type of thing, it would be hard with coding and all the laws.
You would have to have money to be off the grid and still have electricity according to codes and laws.
My area of our state loves telling you how you can live.
No electricity and if you have kids, your not going old fashioned your a neglecting parent and such. So you have to follow laws of how to live if you want to have kids and not be accused of neglect.

So whats with the eco name if its not all by hand and fossil fuel free?
Even a chain saw or a gas lawn mower is not eco friendly.
Nor is carpet or the common press board used in building houses.
Septic tanks and such are not eco friendly either.
It would have to be something along the lines of a composting toilet to be eco friendly and thats not even allowed here. We all are forced to have septic tanks.

So no eco anything here except we try to raise our livestock and poultry as eco friendly as possible and as much as the laws allow.

Juniper138
November 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Ecovillages are intended to be socially, economically and ecologically sustainable intentional communities.
Ecovillage members are united by shared ecological, social-economic and cultural-spiritual values (see Intentional community). An ecovillage is often composed of people who have chosen an alternative to centralized electrical, water, and sewage systems. Many see the breakdown of traditional forms of community, wasteful consumerist lifestyles, the destruction of natural habitat, urban sprawl, factory farming, and over-reliance on fossil fuels, as trends that must be changed to avert ecological disaster. They see small-scale communities with minimal ecological impact as an alternative. However, such communities often cooperate with peer villages in networks of their own (see Global Ecovillage Network for an example). This model of collective action is similar to that of Ten Thousand Villages, which supports the fair trade of goods worldwide.

An intentional community is a planned residential community designed to have a much higher degree of teamwork than other communities. The members of an intentional community typically hold a common social, political or spiritual vision and are often part of the alternative society. They also share responsibilities and resources.

Homesteading applies to anyone who is a part of the back-to-the-land movement and who chooses to live a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle. While land is no longer freely available in most areas of the world, homesteading remains as a way of life. A new movement, called "urban homesteading," can be viewed as a simple living lifestyle, incorporating small-scale agriculture, sustainable and permaculture gardening, and home food production and storage into suburban or city living.

Good old wikipedia. Hope that helps.

(PS I'm sorry your state is so restrictive, I am lucky to live in a province that is quite happy to have people going green)