PDA

View Full Version : New Spiral Scouts Chapter in NH

mountainmama
October 11th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Greetings,

We are forming a local chapter of Spiral Scouts International in Southern New Hampshire. Spiral Scouts International is a scouting program for girls and boys of earth-honoring faiths, which offers children (preschool age through eight years) activities to foster stewardship of Mother Earth and Her people. The group aims:
- To provide an opportunity for Pagan children and families to interact;
- To promote the growth of children’s interpersonal and life skills; and
- To instill in our children the concepts of inclusivity, balance of gender energies, tolerance for differences of belief, cultural customs and values.

Programs include the basic commonalties of Pagan faith beliefs and mythologies, and handicrafts of scouting and woodland lore, aimed at promoting the practice of sound ecology and compassion in daily life. Some of the badges that scouts may earn include: Community Service, for each of the four seasons; Gardening, Global Ecology, and Personal Economics (Earth badges); Nutrition, Birding, and Academic Achievement (Air badges); Cooking (Fire badge); and Drumming and Music (Spirit badges). Award pins are also given for Recycling, Water Safety, Peace, Self Image, and Best Effort.

While the orientation of the Spiral Scouts program is based in Paganism, the organization is designed to be utilized by other groups, both nonsectarian as well as other minority faith groups. Religious-based programs are designed to be easily replaced by alternates based in other non-hostile minority faith traditions.

More information about Spiral Scouts International can be found at their web site, www.SpiralScouts.org.

We are excited about the opportunities this group offers to welcome children and families of all earth-honoring traditions and spiritual paths into the community, and also to serving our local communities through our projects and activities. We are looking forward to becoming a vital and successful group of mindful and active little people and forming cooperative relationships with other community groups.

We need your support to do this. We are asking local businesses and organizations like yours to volunteer time, material/spatial resources, financial support, or even a simple prayer (or spell!) to help get our group off the ground. Many people of Pagan spirit, especially in rural and suburban communities, never have the opportunity to practice their faith in a welcoming, nurturing environment. Our group hopes to address the spiritual and social needs of Pagan children in Southern New Hampshire.

Our membership Charter will cost $25. More immediately, we need help with copying and advertising expenses, to help get the word out about our first meeting. We are also seeking donations of craft supplies, camping equipment, meeting space, and money for books and materials, snacks, and scout registration fees for families who may be financially challenged. Please contact the Spiral Scouts International HQ to find out about possible tax incentives for contributions (info below).

We send you our sincere thanks for any help you are able to give. May it come back to you threefold. We welcome you to get in touch with us with your ideas, questions, etc. and look forward to working with you in the near future!

Blessed Be,

Jess & Ed Baribault
PO Box 55
Wilton, NH 03086

(603) 654-3968
mountainmama@bornpagan.com

SpiralScouts International Inc
48631 River Park Drive
PO Box 409
Index, WA 98256-0409

Phone: (360) 793-9247
Fax: (360) 793-3537
E-mail: info@spiralscouts.org
SpiralScouts@AquaTabCh.org

Faery-Wings
October 11th, 2002, 10:28 AM
I wish I lived in NH- It sounds like a neat program.

Welcome to MW. I hope to see you posting in here a lot! :)

Margie
October 11th, 2002, 01:40 PM
I agree-sounds wonderful! I wish there was something like this for adults too-kind of a hands on/learning as you go kinda thing. I know if I was in NH my daughters would enjoy this!

Sequoia
October 12th, 2002, 01:17 PM
I know there's a website out there, where you can start a chapter on your own. It sounds really cool!