PDA

View Full Version : Atheists Reach Out -- Just Don't Call It Proselytizing

Philosophia
November 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Atheists Reach Out -- Just Don't Call It Proselytizing

Late next month, atheists, humanists, freethinkers, secularists -- in short, nonbelievers of every description -- will gather in dozens of cities to mark the holiday they call HumanLight.

Whether by singing from a Humanist Hymnal, decorating a winter wreath or lighting candles dedicated to personal heroes, they'll celebrate what has been an exhilarating ride for the faithless -- a surge in recognition that has many convinced they're on the brink of making a mark on mainstream America.

During the past three years, membership has grown in local and national associations of nonbelievers. Books attacking faith as a delusion shot up best-seller lists. For the first time, the faithless even raised enough funds to hire a congressional lobbyist.

From here (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122696699813835335.html?mod=googlenews_wsj).

I thought this article would be interesting to atheists, humanists, etc..

Haerfest Leah
November 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I found it interesting, thanks.

watersprite
November 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I think ALL lobbying for religious or corporate interests should be completely outlawed.

Cunae
December 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM
The article is interesting to me as well. It's an intriguing movement.

Chibi-Fallon
December 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
On the Media (http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2008/11/28/04)has a nice piece about it as well.

They have an awesome clip from the South Park episode about them too (which I haven't seen?! How is this?! Does anyone know which one it is?).

I have "The God Delusion" out from the library now. My ex got "Letter from a Christian Nation" from a relative, and that seemed very preachy to me and pushy from the bit I read. It seemed a little silly.

Infinite Grey
December 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
:blech:

Xentor
December 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I think ALL lobbying for religious or corporate interests should be completely outlawed.

Oh yes, let's get rid of commercials, too. Hey, here's a thought: why not outlaw capitalism as a whole, while you're at it?