PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Review of Shapeshifter Tarot by Conway and Knight

Polypseudonymous Rex
November 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
The Shapeshifter Tarot by D.J. Conway and Sirona Knight (illustrated by Lisa Hunt) was the first deck I began working with. I love this deck, but I don't necessarily recommend it as a first deck. This is because it's quite different from the typical RW-based deck. There are extra cards of the major arcana, for one thing. Also, the genders and names of the court cards are different from the RW system, as well as having fire and air switched from this system. There are also several other ways in which the cards are fairly different from how they're seen in the RW decks - and their names are quite a bit different (although the book always tells you what traditional card each one corresponds to - except for the three cards added to the major arcana).

Don't go away thinking that this is a bad deck to use, though. It may be different from what many people start with, but it's a fantastic deck that really does a good job of evoking animal guides (it is a shapeshifter deck, after all). It is also deeply grounded in the ancient Celtic way of life (in fact, all the court cards and many of the major arcana are associated with gods and goddesses of the Celtic pantheon). I don't regret at all that I started with this deck, and I would highly recommend it to other readers.

Blessings,
Scott H.