PDA

View Full Version : Comic for MW magazine

Amilee
November 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM
A great suggestion to do a web comic clicked as an interesting idea to make a comic for MW magazine!

So, calling all artists, writers and designers who are interested. I think there's a good chance we have enough people to make somthing like this work. And we'd have a whole month to do somthing for the next magazine!

Let me know what ya'll think! :cutie: Ideas, opinions are always always appreciated!!

Glowy
November 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM
that is a great idea! We do have a talented family here at MW.

~Elise~
November 29th, 2008, 01:10 AM
If you could make it 3 weeks or so that would be great. This issue is coming due soon. I love the idea of a comic for MWM!!

Elise

Flaire-FireStar
November 29th, 2008, 01:52 AM
psst...drop a thread in Announce when you get the chance. ;)

Louisvillian
November 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Given that this is the internets, and the preponderance of anime/manga in internet culture (see 4chan), I suggest that the art style mimic, or at least be somewhat similar to, a manga.
Bleedman's Art over at Snafu Comics is a good example if you're looking for basic characteristics (and sort-of ways to transmit Western art styles into Japanese art styles).

Amilee
November 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Alright so 3 weeks to do this and I need to know who's on board for it.

I need the following jobs to be filled!

Scriptwriter
Editor
Artist
Colorist
Clean up
Text

That should be sufficent for now and we can always have more than one person working on one of these jobs. (Makes the work go faster!)

As for schedule it should go as follows:

This week: Script and basic outline finished by December 5th Editing and checks done by December 7th.

Final outlines and clean up done by December 10th.

Color and text added in and everything cleaned up by December 15th.

Final editing and checks done by December 17th.

Comic sent to Elise by December 18th.

Sound good?

SilverClaw
November 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a neat idea good luck :D

Amilee
November 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I need some fishies to bite first! Where are my artists?!

aluokaloo
November 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
what it would be about?

redwyvern
November 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
My husband and daughter read a plethora of web comics weekly. They even spend time creating their own paper-based strip. It's funny stuff!

I wish I had the talent they do. I say it's a GREAT idea. Go for it!

halfwaynowhere
November 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I would volunteer, but I don't have much talent...

Amilee
December 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
what it would be about?

No idea! I don't have a script writer yet! Somthing easy and kinda like the sunday comics basically. But of course Pagany. (can I say Pagany?)

My husband and daughter read a plethora of web comics weekly. They even spend time creating their own paper-based strip. It's funny stuff!

I wish I had the talent they do. I say it's a GREAT idea. Go for it!

Thanks! I've got a few people in the game so we'll see what we can come up with!

Sure you do! Can you edit or write? I still need a story and an editor is always appreciated! ^^

staticonthewire
December 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM
Alright so 3 weeks to do this and I need to know who's on board for it.

I need the following jobs to be filled!

Scriptwriter
Editor
Artist
Colorist
Clean up
Text

That should be sufficent for now and we can always have more than one person working on one of these jobs. (Makes the work go faster!)

As for schedule it should go as follows:

This week: Script and basic outline finished by December 5th Editing and checks done by December 7th.

Final outlines and clean up done by December 10th.

Color and text added in and everything cleaned up by December 15th.

Final editing and checks done by December 17th.

Comic sent to Elise by December 18th.

Sound good?

Amilee, are you talking single panel, single page, serial? This will have huge impact on writing, and that seems to be your point of departure. yes?

SilverClaw
December 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
I need some fishies to bite first! I actually did bite then edited my post :nyah: :lol:

staticonthewire
December 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
I have one script hanging fire, but the content is in one or two spots rather strong, perhaps more than is appropriate for PG level (I am a terrible judge of this sort of thing); there is no overt sexual content but there is sexual reference and some violence.

If you'd like to evaluate it I could post it in-thread or via PM. It's perhaps a page of text, and would require 30-40 images as it's written; perhaps we could edit it or serialize it.

It's in an Edward Gorey sort of mode, and I imagined that sort of artwork, but after having seen some of the material people post here, I'm completely unsettled as to what sort of art would be best.

staticonthewire
December 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM

There are a lot of hats for people to wear when working on a collaborative project like a comic; if you think your artwork isn't mature enough, what about image composition, panel continuity, script editing, or lettering?

Believe me, just having another voice dropping ideas is worthwhile.

Vampiel
December 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I would be more than willing to write a comic with the stipulation that I will guarentee that not one person will laugh at it.

halfwaynowhere
December 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I would be more than willing to write a comic with the stipulation that I will guarentee that not one person will laugh at it.

ha, i know how that is. I have an idea for a comic strip, but very few people would get it, and even those who do get it won't find it funny...

Xentor
December 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Would you like a running comic, with the same characters returning every issue, in the same drawing style? Or would you like varying comics, with different characters and different styles? Or maybe give room to varying artists?

Personally I prefer well-drawn comics with a minimal amount of text. Single-panel comics with a character sarcastically displaying an idea, pun or expression, are my forte. I'm not one for character development, and my drawing style is not nice to watch. So I could come up with the ideas.

aluokaloo
December 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM
of course you can say pagany! I kinda figured it would be about MWers getting into crazy adventures? using unifying traits that they are well known for in a satyrical way? using their names to portray them? it'd never get old with so many members.

Amilee
December 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM
Amilee, are you talking single panel, single page, serial? This will have huge impact on writing, and that seems to be your point of departure. yes?

I'm thinking of making a five panel strip for this first one (with the lack of time we have) and then spin off to a full page for the next MW magazine issue.

I have one script hanging fire, but the content is in one or two spots rather strong, perhaps more than is appropriate for PG level (I am a terrible judge of this sort of thing); there is no overt sexual content but there is sexual reference and some violence.

If you'd like to evaluate it I could post it in-thread or via PM. It's perhaps a page of text, and would require 30-40 images as it's written; perhaps we could edit it or serialize it.

It's in an Edward Gorey sort of mode, and I imagined that sort of artwork, but after having seen some of the material people post here, I'm completely unsettled as to what sort of art would be best.

Well shoot the script my way and I'll have a look at it! ^^

Aww. Send me a script anyway! Do eet!

Would you like a running comic, with the same characters returning every issue, in the same drawing style? Or would you like varying comics, with different characters and different styles? Or maybe give room to varying artists?

Personally I prefer well-drawn comics with a minimal amount of text. Single-panel comics with a character sarcastically displaying an idea, pun or expression, are my forte. I'm not one for character development, and my drawing style is not nice to watch. So I could come up with the ideas.

I'm thinking this will be a comic with the same characters each time BUT not the same situation so not a continuing storyline. Send me story ideas and I'll take a look at em!

of course you can say pagany! I kinda figured it would be about MWers getting into crazy adventures? using unifying traits that they are well known for in a satyrical way? using their names to portray them? it'd never get old with so many members.

That would be an interesting idea too! Shoot me a mini script and I'll look at it!

With so many writers volunteering their time I think it's safe to say this partay is ON! I'm gonna take a look at scripts and then let everyone know which one I think is best and see if ya'll agree. From there we'll get the artists to work their magic! ^^

staticonthewire
December 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I sent you a PM, Amilee.

Amilee
December 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Giving this a bump just because we are on a terribly tight deadline!! :cutie:

staticonthewire
December 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Amilee, have you assigned jobs? I'm open for anything you need. I have 3DS Max skills, and much Photoshop experience (through CS3), if that fits anywhere.

I also realized I have one strip I never used, it's a single page (twelve panels) already drawn but not inked, if you'd like to take a look at it. Once again, I think it may be too much for the MW mag, but you should be the judge. If you haven't carried this project past the point of needing a script, you might consider it.

Amilee
December 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
At the moment I have a few people who have volunteered but as of yet I haven't recieved scripts. I'm going to give it a few more days before making anyother decisions...

However, comic? Shoot it my way! ^^ inspirationmuse@gmail.com and I'll take a peek. If only just to look.