PDA

View Full Version : Hearing things.

Ivy Artemisia
November 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
So, here's a post that I never expected to write. Oh, and if you don't believe it, I won't blame you a bit. Writing it makes me want to laugh, cause it sounds crazy.

I've been hearing things- not voices-just sounds. Exiting a restaurant a week ago, I heard a really loud sound- a cross between someone dropping something and a screech. I said to the people I was with, "what was that!?" And they didn't hear anything. I've been hearing odd sounds a lot lately. From music in the white noise (like a fan, etc) to the caw of a crow before I fell asleep last night, to my keys dropping to the pavement this morning (and they were still secured to my purse).

Add that to the -hey my energy is a little crazy lately-ness of things moving by themselves lately, it's a little odd. That's always happened to me, since I was a teenager, though- things moving by themselves. Especially when I'm pissed or stressed out at work. My folders will move by themselves, or a picture frame will clatter to the floor. It's really not freaky once you figure out that you are unconsciously making it happen. :-D However, two days ago, our gas stove went from having the fire on 'high' to the clicking of the 'lite' function by itself (we heard the clicking, and I ran in there and turned it off). Thats a whole quarter turn of the dial. That really bothered me more than the normal stuff. The whole 'things moving by themslves' has been happening more in the past month or so than in years.

Also, I felt/saw an old man ghost a few weeks ago in my apartment (the first since I've lived here, praise the gods, as I had a very unpleasant experience in my last place with a ghost- it got a little physical- but all this old man ghost did was get up and walk down toward the hall. I saw this in my minds eye and "felt" it. I don't know if this ghost had anything to do with my stove going all freaky-deaky on us, but it was unsettling. Anyway, I'm sorry to have strayed so far off topic.

Has anyone had this "hearing things" happen to them? To my knowledge there isn't anything wrong with my ears, but I will definitely have my doctor look at them next time I go in for something, just in case.

I don't feel like I'm 'psychic', though I would definitely say I'm probably "sensitive." But it's just been a little weirder than usual lately. Thanks for any advice/sharing you can give me. :)

Artiste-LiLi
November 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
We had a thread about that not too long ago:

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=202468

I've always heard things like you describe.

Perhaps the "man" you saw was indeed responsible for the stove....perhaps if you ask him to please leave the stove alone and explain why you are asking..he will comply with your wishes/

Ivy Artemisia
November 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks!

Louisvillian
November 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Might be auditory and/or visual hallucinations. A psychological symptom associated most commonly with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. I'd suggest going to see a clinical psychologist just to be sure you don't have a disorder, before making assumptions of "being psychic/sensitive" or whatnot.

Artiste-LiLi
November 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Might be auditory and/or visual hallucinations. A psychological symptom associated most commonly with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia. I'd suggest going to see a clinical psychologist just to be sure you don't have a disorder, before making assumptions of "being psychic/sensitive" or whatnot.

In keeping with your thought processes...

While it is always good to make sure one is in good health mentally and physically and therefore know that one has no psychological or physiological issues which might account for these phenomenon(sp)......it is also good to not immediately assume that one does have a mental or physical issue that could account for them. Its all about balance.

Good advice on all things...make sure you're healthy and don't assume in any direction.:smile:

Louisvillian
December 1st, 2008, 01:40 AM
Oh, I'm not making a for-sure assumption. Just proposing another possibility that is worth looking into.
I said "might", not "is". I just tend to be skeptical of paranormal claims- there is usually a more scientific and empirical explanation for many so-called paranormal phenomena.

triplemoonmother
December 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM
don't worry i don't think your crazy. things happen to special people. just try not to be afraid.

Artiste-LiLi
December 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Oh, I'm not making a for-sure assumption. Just proposing another possibility that is worth looking into.
I said "might", not "is". I just tend to be skeptical of paranormal claims- there is usually a more scientific and empirical explanation for many so-called paranormal phenomena.

Oh I know. I fully believe that a healthy dose of skeptisism (sp) is a good thing. Basically we were saying the same thing.....'tis good to look at all sides of a thing before delclaring it one specific thing. I call it a balanced approach. If your health is good and you know it....then you look to other ways to explain an occurance...you don't just jump off one specific deep end and go with it and nothing else. :smile:

I know that in my own experiences, my health was and is good, I (and others with me) could find no other means for certain occurances; so we looked elsewhere and we did find information that lent credibility to the occurances being paranormal. I still don't know 100%, but so far nothing else can explain these happenings. Doesn't mean I don't keep questioning and searching though. In the meantime...I have some REALLY COOL stories!:uhhuhuh:

watersprite
December 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Maybe it is time for a
GOOD grounding and sending away those energies that seem to be following you around. Try that before spending any money on psychiatrists. Mostly it i just overwhelming energy.
Don't forget your shields. This is a Terrible season for getting insane messages that you really don't want or need.

Agaliha
December 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM

And types of seizures, just to put that out there for other people:
This is under the Simple Partial Seizure heading--
Sensory seizures: These cause changes in any one of the senses. People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness. Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space. They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.
For more:
http://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/seizure_simplepartial

This is the type my seizures are only mine are visual in nature, not auditory. I also have illusions as well. Mine are called "elementary" because they lack image, but some people with visual symptoms can see full out images, people, things-- those are than called "complex hallucinations."

I think things like this are linked to temporal lobe seizures as well... I haven't researched that as much as SPS, though.

Just wanted to put that out there...most people don't know about SPS, which is why many people with SPS go undiagnosed, misdiagnosed, etc. If it wasn't for my sister mentioning it last year, I would have been clueless and not seen a neurologist (and I had them for a little over 2 years then)...

_inabox_

I also found this--

True Auditory Hallucinations

True auditory hallucinations are when you can clearly hear and understand voices (that are not there) talking to you. True auditory hallucinations are a sign of mental illness such as schizophrenia and have nothing to do with our ears.

Pseudo-auditory Hallucinations

In contrast, pseudo-auditory hallucinations have nothing to do with mental illness, but have everything to do with our faulty ears. People don't talk much about pseudo-auditory hallucinations because they think others will think they are nuts if they do.

The big difference between true auditory hallucinations and pseudo-auditory hallucinations is that pseudo-auditory hallucinations are always vague—not clear and understandable.

Many of us hard of hearing people hear pseudo-auditory hallucinations from time to time. I know that I do. One lady heard what sounded like "The Star Spangled Banner" playing over and over in her head. In fact, according to one medical report, people often hear what sounds like the National Anthem. This report went on to say that there is nothing wrong with these people mentally. (Whew! We're not crazy after all!)

Pseudo-auditory hallucinations sound vaguely like tunes, music or voices. They sound "fuzzy" or indistinct. One lady described hers as, "like the wind blowing, but with a musical quality, as if someone off in the distance was singing without words." Another lady said, "I've never heard a tune that I could identify. It sounds more like an orchestra warming up." Another woman described hers thus; "When I am in a real quiet room I hear this humming in my head like someone is humming a song but can't keep a tune." And a man described his as, "some song that sounds for all the world like it belongs as a theme song for PBS, but I can't place it."

Pseudo-auditory hallucinations arise from a different place in our brains than tinnitus. However, the effect may be much the same. That is why some people think it is tinnitus, but it isn't.

Make no mistake, when we hear pseudo-auditory hallucinations, it is a very real experience to us. One woman commented to her husband after they arrived at their hotel that she had really enjoyed the music on the plane trip. Her husband replied, "There was no music on the plane." On the return trip she again heard the music and nudged her husband. He listened and replied, "Nope! No music!"

Pseudo-auditory hallucinations can come from a variety of causes. I think the main cause is our hearing losses. When we become hard of hearing/deaf after having good hearing, our brains feel the loss of auditory input and seem to make up for this lack on their own. This seems to be particularly noticeable when it is very quiet and/or we are very tired. This is my experience. Nor am I alone in this.

A lady told me, "I used to hear noises that sounded like a marching band! It was never a recognizable tune, nor did it have a distinguishable melody—just marching band noise. (I used to play in a marching band for years, so I knew it wasn't any of those tunes.) I heard it most when I was working night shift in a hospital. I was in a children's unit, and they were all sound asleep, so it was very quiet, and typically, I was very tired."
A man related, "I would often lie half awake in the morning and hear a 'radio.' A guy would be talking like they did in the 50's. Kind of a monotone voice and all the advertisements like they did back then."

Another cause of pseudo-auditory hallucinations is taking various medications and drugs. One lady told me about one of her medications that "makes music in my deaf ear." A man taking several medications explained, "recently, I was about to take a nap when I heard the national anthem being played. I went into the next room and asked my wife if they were playing it on the TV No! Well, I continued to hear it for a period of time. Then all of a sudden it went to 'Amazing Grace.' Now, it is a repetitive three or four notes."

Pseudo-auditory hallucinations come in all varieties. One lady said, "I get Red Barber calling the game, I can't distinguish the words—but I'm sure that's who is talking." A man describing his said, "I had real life sounds like a jet airplane taking off, or someone talking to me, or classical music." One lady noted that when she was a young girl and flying with her dad in small planes, she would hear music. She described it, "The music was a full choir, rather like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and when I was very young, I thought it was angels singing."

If you have pseudo-auditory hallucinations, don't worry about it. You are as normal as the rest of us hard of hearing people. Pseudo-auditory hallucinations aren't all bad. I mean, where else can you hear what sounds like classical music playing without hearing aids, players, headphones or other paraphernalia?

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/hallucinations.htmIvy, how long has this been happening? A long time, recently, suddenly? I'm pretty sure you're not psychotic, but there is the other angles, medically that is.

matella18
December 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM
I know this is somewhat off topic but I think Watersprite is right. I have been having thoughts and feelings that are alien to me and it is very overwhelming. I do not know what to do. The messages have brought on nervousness and anxiety. I think a good grounding would be a great idea and I hope you find clarity on this issue Ivy.

Ivy Artemisia
December 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Ivy, how long has this been happening? A long time, recently, suddenly? I'm pretty sure you're not psychotic, but there is the other angles, medically that is.

It's come and gone for years, but it's definitely happening more often lately.

I'm not supposed to drink a lot while on a medication I've been taking (300 MG Welbutrin), but I have been anyway. Someone in another forum mentioned that it might cause seizures (that should have been a lightbulb moment, yes?). So, maybe its a good idea that I stop and see if anything changes. Thanks!

CrimsonCat
December 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Okay, I had an experience like this when I was little. I was in bed, about to fall asleep, when I heard two male voices talking underneath my bed. They talked for a few minutes, and I immediately became more awake. I was unable to distinguish what they said. Of course, I was scared, and checked under the bed, etc. I later asked my Mom what it was (my mother is a RN that has worked for 17+ years at a mental health institution) and she said something about "sensory recall." Literally, it's just your body recalling sounds, smells, feelings, etc. at random times. I'm not an expert, so I don't know why it's happening all the time for you. But I'm just saying, being somewhat familiar with the symptoms, I don't think that it's full-blown schizophrenia. But there are variations, so unfortunately you can't totally dispel the idea.
As far as it being related to your sensitivity to the paranormal (ghosts, moving objects unconsciously, etc.), I, personally, don't think it's related.
I've had smaller, less noticeable versions of the sensory recall since (just random noises now; no voices), and it tends to make me a little off-balanced for a few seconds, but it usually doesn't affect anything I'm doing.
As far as the seizures go, it's possible. I would switch medications (or lower your dosage) though, not stop altogether. Definitely not a good idea. A friend of mine was, I believe, on Wellbutrin, and he had a seizure. He stopped taking it for a while (or his supply ran out, can't remember), and he experienced a major downfall. So, I wouldn't recommend you quit taking it without some kind of substitute... Please!
Sheesh! Listen to me! I sound like an old grandma!!! :elder:

cydira
December 30th, 2008, 05:43 AM
If you've exhausted your medical and non-occult reasons for why this stuff has been happening about you, I have an alternate suggestion aside from the actions of a ghost. That would be the actions of the fae.

It's the only explanation that makes sense for some of the odd things that happen about my home from time to time. *shrugs* Just a thought.

Lunacie
December 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
If you've exhausted your medical and non-occult reasons for why this stuff has been happening about you, I have an alternate suggestion aside from the actions of a ghost. That would be the actions of the fae.

It's the only explanation that makes sense for some of the odd things that happen about my home from time to time. *shrugs* Just a thought.

Wow, I've learned a lot from reading this thread (don't know why I didn't see it sooner), very interesting information here. Thanks everyone for sharing!

And as much sense as all of this makes, especially the sensory recall, I was just getting ready to post that none of it explains the burner on the stove being moved from high to ignition. For many years we had a fae of some kind living with us, but he never did anything like that. He was more attracted to electrical things like the computer and burning out light bulbs. Seems ghost activity is more often the cause of things like doors locking or unlocking and water turning on, so that seems more likely to be responsible for turning the knob on the stove.

Unless... the OP is having a lot of emotional crises and might be causing a form of poltergeist action?