PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Creepycrawler Owners?

aluokaloo
December 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Keep in mind that I am not being condescending or mean or snarky or anything. I am just really curious

why do you keep insects/arachnids as pets?

what can you do with them as pets?

are they trainable?

or do you admire them and take care of them the way people do with fish?

would you say that they are capable of showing emotions/affection?

can they recognize you?

can they differentiate between it's owner and a stranger?

are there any that are intelligent?

Shanti
December 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
why do you keep insects/arachnids as pets? My son does and loves them. He keeps all different kinds of spiders and insects.

what can you do with them as pets? Enjoy them like anything that brings us pleasure. We cant hold a sunset but we still can totally enjoy looking at it!

are they trainable? Trainable? You can t
rain a dog to sit but good luck teaching that to many other pets like a frog.
But many can learn where food is given and when and respond in what may appear to be a trained way. Like a rat learning a maze to get food!
My sons garden spiders crawl over his hands and they 'learn' to play a game of hand over hand with him. When he first starts handling his spiders they try to just run anywhere but over time they hold the pattern my son has repeated with them. Some call that training, some just habit, and some may say its just the spider going with the flow of survival...this
hasn't killed me so it must be safe.

or do you admire them and take care of them the way people do with fish?
Some people love fish as a pet and some have them as more a household ornament. People keep things for all different reasons.

would you say that they are capable of showing emotions/affection?
That too is perspective. Some people feel all living things feel and have emotion but cant show it like humans can. I feel trees and grass have emotions!

can they recognize you? They see differently. As with many animals the senses are different from one to another. Some animals respond and learn the hand that feeds them through smell instead of sight.
Some don't seem to recognize anything but they may be very aware.
Its all perspective by watching and paying close attention to your animals behaviors and coming to your own conclusions.

can they differentiate between it's owner and a stranger?
Again, perspective, understanding how the senses work in different species, etc. will help a person draw a conclusion from their animals behavior.

are there any that are intelligent? This again is all perspective.
How is intelligence measured, by intellect, emotion, reasoning, instinct?
How can such biologically different species be compared?
A blind cave fish can find its way around its environment with no probs. It survives well with no sight. A blind person needs assistance. Does this make one more intelligent than another, no, they are just different. A blind cave fish wont ever read braille! But a human will. But I blind cave fish can find all it needs for sustenance in the wild, a blind person would have difficulties.

Its all perspective of individuals!!:smile:

aluokaloo
December 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
those are all interesting answers thank you shanti thank your son for me too please...

Shanti
December 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
those are all interesting answers thank you shanti thank your son for me too please...Your welcome.

I dont see in my sons insects and spiders what he sees. I go yuk and he is all adoring.
Thats why I said its all perspective! ;)

Shanti
December 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Oh and he pets his spiders and gives then lovin. These are wild spiders yet they sit still for rubs and petting!! He does the same thing with his beetle, especially his stag beetles.

Who am I to question a obvious connection between creepy crawly and human? There is definitely something there to bond them together like that.

To my son they all have feelings and respond and know him. I dont doubt his experiences.

I just get bit if I mess with them. LOL

aluokaloo
December 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
ewww! lol! it's interesting that they do seem to respond to him the way they do. i never really stopped to think that creepy-crawleys had more complex emotions. besides who wouldn't want to sit still for a bit a lovin?

Shanti
December 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
I thought my son was crazy when he started turning wild spiders and bugs into pets but he showed me that I was the one with the closed mind!! LOL
His pets like to come crawling out of their cages to be held. They actually appear to like him. No one else can handle them like he does. They dont co-operate with others. I have been bit!!

Its quite interesting, but still gives me the willies! LOL

The boy has a knack for creepy crawlies. He relates to them on levels out of my grasp. Although I really dont want to try as he did.

My son even catches and holds bees of several different species and doesn't get stung. I told him not to mess with bees, but he has been successful with them. He just doesn't make pets out of them because he can not meet their needs and he cant have a hive as me and mate mate are deadly allergic.

Some people relate and see inside dogs, some have that with cats, and some have that strong understanding with the creepy crawlies! :smile:

Glowingsun
December 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
I am actually very very terrified of just the sight of certain insects. i could actually have a heart attack, seizure, paralysis, and unconsolible screamming. If people want insects for pets, fine. Just keep them out of veiw and make sure they can't escape their tanks or cages.
When I was living in an apartment my biggest fear was infestations. I was also scared someone was harboring insects ad that they would escape.

WHEN OWNING CREEPY THINGS PLEASE, PLEASE PRACTICE INSECT PET ETIQUETTE.

Shanti
December 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I am actually very very terrified of just the sight of certain insects. i could actually have a heart attack, seizure, paralysis, and unconsolible screamming. If people want insects for pets, fine. Just keep them out of veiw and make sure they can't escape their tanks or cages.
When I was living in an apartment my biggest fear was infestations. I was also scared someone was harboring insects ad that they would escape.

WHEN OWNING CREEPY THINGS PLEASE, PLEASE PRACTICE INSECT PET ETIQUETTE.
All owners of animal should be courteous of others. Some people have deep fears of dogs and thats no different than one with a fear of snakes.
I don't know why it seems common for people to not warn when they own a cute pet even though some people are fearful or perhaps very allergic!

Courtesy for others is always an important behavior of all pet owners.
I always warn people who dont know what I have of the animals here, just in case there may be a prob for them.

Glowingsun
December 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
I know of a few people who are allergic to my pets. I always tell people what animals I have roaming around and i try to vacumm and dust as much as possible before they come over and put the animals away in another room. Of course I can't make my house completely fur free so it's up to the discretion of my visitors to weigh out their allergic reactions when they are here.

Shanti
December 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
My son keeps his bugs in the basement. I keep my snake in my bedroom. :)
Not everyone finds cuteness is crawly or scaly things. ;)
I personally think my snake is cute as heck. :)
My son feels that way about his garden spiders. :)
My mate thinks that way about his dog. :)
My daughter thinks that way about her cats. :)

halfwaynowhere
December 14th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I keep bugs since I find them fascinating. They don't have the brainpower to be trained, or to even learn things... They can sort of be conditioned, get used to handling, but they don't really even enjoy it. I keep handling to a minimum. The only times I handle my bugs are when I clean their enclosures, or when I bring them to do educational presentations.
Yesterday I was out, and found a whole bunch of baby daddy long leg spiders- they must have just crawled out of their sack... They were so cute, I was bringing everyone around to see them, and picked one up and let it run around on my hand for a few minutes. They really are fascinating creatures.
I like being the bug girl.