PDA

View Full Version : Feeling of Detachment?

MetropolisGott
December 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
I started with this...feeling about 10 or so years ago, when I was about 9 or 10. I was standing in church, visiting with extended family members when I suddenly felt like I was watching me carry on conversations. I had this feeling on and off for the past 10 years, on average of about once every 2 years, so not very often at all.

The feeling frightened me at first, because it was similar to a dream-state. My spirit was watching my body carry out what it was doing, but because of the fear, it quickly came back down.

Recently, I got a really odd feeling at a club I'm a regular at and just started wondering what I was doing there. It was a very similar feeling to what I felt before, and everything started feeling like a dream. My desires were no longer desires to be struggled with, but rather decisions to be made. Now, I have a feeling the stronger the desire, it may not turn out that way, but it was at least a glimpse of things.

Now, the oddest part about that, is it seemed to open it up to concious control. I woke up the next day, and found that I could bring it upon myself conciously, and I've started realizing how inconsequencial surface emotions really are. It's started becoming easier to live moment by moment, as if I'm in a state of active meditation, or Wu-wei-wu.

So I guess what my question is, is has anyone ever felt like this?

clearing
December 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Yes, I've felt like I've been watching my body do things sometimes. Apparently that is the natural state, i.e. you are not the body but the witness.

All that happens when you witness the body is that (it is usually quite peaceful) you've transcended the domination of your ego, for however long. The ego is what claims authorship of its actions and credit for everything the body does. You're not the ego, but you've been lost in it while it identifies with the locality. This is generally known on this path for those seeking enlightenment. The key is to become non-attached to the ego and its payoffs.

What's your take on this?

MetropolisGott
December 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I've actually been quite wary of the Ego for a while now. Even delving back into Christianity, I realize just how much of a threat it is to spirituality, because it is what constantly drags us back to a state of attachment, through its reason and emotions. I'm trying my best to build safeguards against the Ego as much as possible, and in this process, I'm finding that it's near impossible to force myself into this state of detachment. Therefore, I'm trying to pick apart my ego piece by piece, to where this "Observer Mind" is the primary state that my mind defaults to.