PDA

View Full Version : Frozen eggs!!

Shanti
December 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Lmao. Its been cold, down in the single digits at night.
My winter layer chickens lay day and night and some are frozen when I go to the daily egg check!

This morning there was one in a nest that was probable layed last night because it was frozen solid to the point the shell couldnt hold it. The others in that nest were fine as they were freshly layed.

Several times now I have gotten eggcicles!

None of my broodies will sit in winter and keep them warm. :(
Guess I cant blame them its cold out there!!:bundled:

So what are thawed out frozen whole eggs good for?
So far the dogs have been getting them.:weirdsmil

HetHert
December 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
What's the difference between an egg that froze and an egg that didn't?

Agaliha
December 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I've had eggs that have gotten too close to the back of the fridge and froze a bit. It made these weird specks on the shell, some parts seemed sort of thinner. And the inside had ice crystals in it, it totally changed the texture! We never eat them like that. I think because the egg white is mostly water it messes with them and makes them not as great.

aranarose
December 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Lmao. Its been cold, down in the single digits at night.
My winter layer chickens lay day and night and some are frozen when I go to the daily egg check!

This morning there was one in a nest that was probable layed last night because it was frozen solid to the point the shell couldnt hold it. The others in that nest were fine as they were freshly layed.

Several times now I have gotten eggcicles!

None of my broodies will sit in winter and keep them warm. :(
Guess I cant blame them its cold out there!!:bundled:

So what are thawed out frozen whole eggs good for?
So far the dogs have been getting them.:weirdsmil

Just let them thaw in the fridge. That's what we always did with them when we had chickens years ago. They aren't as good to bake with, but for hard-boiling, scrambling, or frying, they usually turn out fine.

We always tossed any that cracked, though, as they are no longer sterile.

aranarose
December 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
What's the difference between an egg that froze and an egg that didn't?

The yolks become thicker, so they aren't as useful with baking or cooking where they need to be blended with something else.

But as long as the shell remains intact, they are still edible. However, a cracked shell is ripe for contamination, so those should be tossed.

Shanti
December 8th, 2008, 06:36 PM
The yolks become thicker, so they aren't as useful with baking or cooking where they need to be blended with something else.

But as long as the shell remains intact, they are still edible. However, a cracked shell is ripe for contamination, so those should be tossed.
Thats what we have been tossing to the dogs, the cracked ones.
The dogs eat them frozen shell and all. My dogs eat anything!
They act like they are getting Popsicles!:toofless:

The others are in the fridge. We havent tried to use any yet.
We have an abundance of eggs and everyone grabs the ones they know are not from frozen collections. LOL

I was hoping baking would be best for them because my mate bakes all the time. But I guess they are for breakfast instead.
If I scramble them no one will probably know the difference. ;)