PDA

View Full Version : Problems meditating...

CameraGirl
December 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know if it could be because of stress, in my life...but I can no longer seem to find a good meditation ritual. I used to be able to delve right into it, but, now, it takes hours to find that peace and quiet. :S

Any suggestions?

Convallaria
December 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I always have a hard time getting into the right frame of mind to meditate. I've been told that meditating regularly makes it easier, and eventually it becomes second nature, but only when I'm dead tired is it easy, and then the hard part is not drifting off to sleep.

Music never helps, I just end up humming along and thinking about other things, haha. For me, lighting some nag champa and making every inhale a yawn seems to clear my head very well. Unfortunately, if you aren't an incense lover, I haven't any good advice, lol.

CameraGirl
December 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I can't do incense, or candles, b/c of my asthma, and dorm regulations. :P

But thanks, anyway!

~Audra~
December 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
i live in the mountains so there are plenty of trees...i can sit and stare out at them forever, just watching the leaves blow and the branches sway...tune out all else and allow the trees to do their beauty...

always works for me, anyway...

Shawn Blackwolf
December 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Walking meditation...conscious of every step , every
motion of air , every breath...it is awake meditation...

Active , not passive meditation...still produces same
deep trance state , once you achieve the method...:uhhuhuh:

BearDancing
December 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
meditating is second nature to me now...yet when I do have problems entering that state...I concentrate on my breath...there are many ways to breath and move energy and that is what works for me.....

Xander67
December 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I don't know if it could be because of stress, in my life...but I can no longer seem to find a good meditation ritual. I used to be able to delve right into it, but, now, it takes hours to find that peace and quiet. :S

Any suggestions?

Even if it is 5 or ten minutes before you go to sleep, the more you work at it the better you will feel and the stronger you will become..

Watch these Youtube Videos.. they help you focus and quiet down..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafkg7Di4JU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy8tfLJASDs

and also, the Google Tech Talk videos help Alot!!!

Xander67
December 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Walking meditation...conscious of every step , every
motion of air , every breath...it is awake meditation...

Active , not passive meditation...still produces same
deep trance state , once you achieve the method...:uhhuhuh:

I agree with this!:thumbsup:

novimarra
December 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Try reading a book about meditation (I recommend "Meditation for Dummies" - really!) for a little while before attempting it. Make sure you set some kind of timer for your meditation, otherwise you will worry and think stuff like "how much longer do I have to sit here?" etc.

If you're into music but still find it hard to let go, try getting some that's not big on melodies. Even Enya is too catchy for me, though I like her stuff normally. I play an album called "Sleepy Rain" by Jeffrey Thompson, in the evening. I also have "Ocean Waves" by him, for the morning.

Beemer_Man_Wong
December 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Reading the above replies, I wonder what this state of meditation is. Is this a trance you enter? Is it a moment of transcendent bliss that removes you from time?

Personally, I do not see how meditation that removes you from the present moment will be helpful, as you have to return to the present moment and all your mental formations will still be there. I think there are reasons why many meditation practices have sitting, because sitting requires you to stop. Stopping is an important part of meditation because we are always rushing everywhere, our mind rushes, our body rushes, and we have to stop to learn to focus and to be mindful.

I agree with Shawn Blackwolf about walking meditation, because mindfulness is available at any moment, in any situation. If we are sitting, we are mindful of sitting. If we are standing, we are mindful of standing. If we are walking, we are mindful of walking. :)

CameraGirl, you do not need any candles or incense for meditation. Maybe you are sitting at your computer when you are reading this, that is fine. If you are alive you are breathing. :) When you breathe in, follow your breath with your mindfulness, and smile to your inbreath. When you breath out, follow your breath with your mindfullness and smile to your outbreath. If thoughts arise, do not become upset, note that a thought arises, and return to your breath. You can do this any time. :)

Polypseudonymous Rex
February 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I've noticed that breath is an important component that several people have mentioned. I whole-heartedly agree. It was only when I made breathing my first concern that I started having successful meditations. However, some people find that counting breaths can make meditation attempts an annoying experience. Count if it helps you; but, if it doesn't, just make sure to breathe in and out at your own pace. As long as you breathe deeply (your stomach should move with each breath), you should be fine. If you are looking for a rhythm to breathe in, try to attune yourself to the sounds of your environment. Crickets are a natural shaman's drum, as are the noises of water and wind. Or, if the day is quite still, find meditation music that has no particular beat that you can hear (something that creates a sonic landscape rather than a particular melody).

Also, I've been able to help several people to meditate with a greater success rate by encouraging them to "program" successful meditations. Take an object such as a stone with a texture you find soothing (or it could be incense or a plant or something else, but I'll use a stone in this example). Set it well away from you. Try to meditate for at least a few minutes every day. When you feel you are having success, reach for the stone and hold it for a while. When you are frustrated with your attempts, just leave the stone alone. After awhile, you will have created a neural link with the stone such that you can start using it to induce a meditative state.

And, as suggested above, different types of meditation can be very helpful. Practices like walking and dance meditation can be just as fulfilling as meditations you practice while sitting still.

I hope this has been helpful. I think we all have times when meditation is easier or harder for us. Sometimes persistence is the best way to help.

Blessings,
Scott

Meabh23
February 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Any suggestions?

Time has passed and you may have moved on from this thread, but in case you are still watching:

This is what I know personally about meditation, and you must know that I was raised in a largely Buddhist cultural milieu.

You just do it. No rituals or devices or chants needed.

Just sit. In an upright posture, allowing your spine and muscles to settle in their natural curve, and you breathe. You focus on your breath because it is the easiest and most reliable thing to focus on. You use your breath to keep your mind from running off into its tangents and imaginations and feelings and worries and likes and hatreds and all that other stuff we imagine all the time. You come back to breathing and being in the present moment. Just a person, sitting there.

The view in meditation is: There is nothing to delve into. Nothing to explore. Nothing to try and nothing to escape. There is just now. The present moment, and even this is just a pointer at a reality that cannot be described fully. So you just sit and breathe. And become aware of now. No escape. No flight. No peace, no fear, no war, no path, no striving, no nothing, no something, no anything other than what is happening now. Sitting.

This is meditation. All else is elaboration to try out when you can stabilize your mind and it grows to be balanced, supple and strong.

This is it.

I hope this helps. ;)

rockinredneck
June 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm glad I checked this thread out, thanks for the advice even though it was'nt necessarily aimed at me.

Glowy
June 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I would like to chime in, though I am no expert. I too had terrible trouble, I was infact meditating, I just expected more.

I was taught to spend 5-10 min just counting my breaths. That for me was a good way to learn to be "still and present"