PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Fear Of The Christians - The Atheist Experience #555

Infinite Grey
December 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEbE03KB3I

Cunae
December 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I didn't detect any "fear" in the clip. In fact, it really didn't have anything at all to say, though the song was kinda cute.

It always bothers me when people say "they this" and "they that" and "the ---- want this" esp about a religion. Sweeping generalizations are destructive.

Infinite Grey
December 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I didn't detect any "fear" in the clip. In fact, it really didn't have anything at all to say, though the song was kinda cute.

It always bothers me when people say "they this" and "they that" and "the ---- want this" esp about a religion. Sweeping generalizations are destructive.

If what they said doesn't apply to you, then they weren't talking to you or about you. "They" is referring to the destructive elements within Christianity, those that want to push Christian agendas into mainstream society... like the pseudo-science Intelligent Design, Christian morality into governmental processes and the like. As much as the moderate Christians (AKA decent human beings) might not like to admit it, but these people are flying under the Christian banner... in the same way Islamic extremists fly under a Muslim banner.

Cunae
December 14th, 2008, 06:45 PM
If what they said doesn't apply to you, then they weren't talking to you or about you. "They" is referring to the destructive elements within Christianity, those that want to push Christian agendas into mainstream society... like the pseudo-science Intelligent Design, Christian morality into governmental processes and the like. As much as the moderate Christians (AKA decent human beings) might not like to admit it, but these people are flying under the Christian banner... in the same way Islamic extremists fly under a Muslim banner.

I don't like it when someone says "the Muslims this or that" either.

When someone says "they" and [a religion] in one sentence, the broad sweeping implication is there. I don't want the word "Christian" smeared any more than I do "Muslim." Muslims get pretty annoyed about this kind of thing, too.

Still, the clip says close to nothing. Very unoriginal or remotely thought-provoking. I assume these guys have done better.

watersprite
December 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM

I agree with you there.
What I MUST say, is that certain groups are using their untaxed monies to lobby (pay) certain government "workers" to get their way on certain issues. These are, sadly, high ranking officials.
Like Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, Who took campaign money from the makers of Guardisil. His payment to THEM was to make it mandatory for all school age girls 6th grade and up to get the vaccine. It was not proven then, and it has MANY side effects. That was a LOT of money to that drug company. So, it is proven he would do just about anything for money. His going on TV and saying what he did gives all TRUE Christians a bad name.
I never thought that True Christians had that kind of hunger for power. Like the power to run other folks lives according to THEIR particular translation of the Bible.
That is why I am so adamant about the current situation. About Churches being taxed like everybody else. Because there are SOME folks on TV demanding Grannies send in part of their social security so that their leaders can live in mansions with matching dog houses.
A TRUE Christian was my dearly departed SIL. She was kind and giving and caring. She would give you the shirt off her back if she thought you needed. She was respectful and loving and treated my brother like a King. He took good care of her and worked hard, took care of things in the house when she was ill, took care of her. The way a real relationship goes.

watersprite
December 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I don't like it when someone says "the Muslims this or that" either.

When someone says "they" and [a religion] in one sentence, the broad sweeping implication is there. I don't want the word "Christian" smeared any more than I do "Muslim." Muslims get pretty annoyed about this kind of thing, too.

Still, the clip says close to nothing. Very unoriginal or remotely thought-provoking. I assume these guys have done better.
You are right about that as well. No religion wants to be run over by another.
Just because of what their self proclaimed "leaders" decided what would get them the most profit. OR attention, or whatever it is they want.

Xentor
December 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I agree with you there.
What I MUST say, is that certain groups are using their untaxed monies to lobby (pay) certain government "workers" to get their way on certain issues. These are, sadly, high ranking officials.
Like Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, Who took campaign money from the makers of Guardisil. His payment to THEM was to make it mandatory for all school age girls 6th grade and up to get the vaccine. It was not proven then, and it has MANY side effects. That was a LOT of money to that drug company. So, it is proven he would do just about anything for money. His going on TV and saying what he did gives all TRUE Christians a bad name.
I never thought that True Christians had that kind of hunger for power. Like the power to run other folks lives according to THEIR particular translation of the Bible.
That is why I am so adamant about the current situation. About Churches being taxed like everybody else. Because there are SOME folks on TV demanding Grannies send in part of their social security so that their leaders can live in mansions with matching dog houses.
A TRUE Christian was my dearly departed SIL. She was kind and giving and caring. She would give you the shirt off her back if she thought you needed. She was respectful and loving and treated my brother like a King. He took good care of her and worked hard, took care of things in the house when she was ill, took care of her. The way a real relationship goes.

OK, I'll bite: what the hell are you talking about, and how does it connect to the topic at hand (the irrational fear of the Christians)?

wolf
December 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
As much as the moderate Christians (AKA decent human beings)

Sounds to me like you are fearful of Christians, if you're defining folks who don't meet YOUR definition of "moderate" as somehow not decent.

Infinite Grey
December 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Sounds to me like you are fearful of Christians, if you're defining folks who don't meet YOUR definition of "moderate" as somehow not decent.

My definition of "moderate" entails respect for other human beings beyond the restrictions of one's personal morality - aka, not restricting people's right learn, to marry, to believe as the wish and so on. They have their beliefs, but do not to the point that it interferes with everyone else - Those I mentioned, do not do that - either actively or passively - ergo, they are not moderates.

What is YOUR definition of "moderate"?

wolf
December 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The point is not about the definition of moderate, but of Christians being a fear-object for you.

I am more fearful of folks who call themselves Christians who do not follow the doctrine of their faith.

evergreen
December 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Did you post this to show they're scared of Christians? Or that you agree with their opinions? I'm a little confused. Not sure what I'm supposed to respond to here...

Infinite Grey
December 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
The point is not about the definition of moderate, but of Christians being a fear-object for you.

I am more fearful of folks who call themselves Christians who do not follow the doctrine of their faith.

You're taking great liberties with my personal opinion or belief.

But Christians that actually follow the doctrine of their faith are as scary as those that do not... but then again, I've actually read the bible and know the history of Christianity. This quoted post displays your ignorance of these facts and subscribe to the modern sugar coated facade so often paraded around as true Christianity. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of Modern Christianity - turn the other cheek, he who is without sin throw the first stone, you reap what you sow - wonderful doctrines; theyt just aren't the original doctrines.

As to being fearful, well I am fearful of what they have done and could do, if they gained their old power back - but as to them selves, well... they're just annoying.

Infinite Grey
December 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Did you post this to show they're scared of Christians? Or that you agree with their opinions? I'm a little confused. Not sure what I'm supposed to respond to here...

I posted it to bring some life back to my poor neglected forum... it worked.

wolf
December 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
You're taking great liberties with my personal opinion or belief.

It's your thread, your use of the word "fear."

I'm not taking liberty with anything.

Cunae
December 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I posted it to bring some life back to my poor neglected forum... it worked.

I didn't get the header on this thread either. "Irrational" (not based on reality) or rational (based on reality) fear of Christians? At first I thought you meant there's no real reason to fear "them", then I see you do. No wonder we're all confused by a point never made by you or by the video.

Maybe you were too eager to bring attention to this forum.

Infinite Grey
December 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
It's your thread, your use of the word "fear."

I'm not taking liberty with anything.

Meh, I copy and pasted the video title - so it is their use of the word "fear".

I didn't get the header on this thread either. "Irrational" (not based on reality) or rational (based on reality) fear of Christians? At first I thought you meant there's no real reason to fear "them", then I see you do. No wonder we're all confused by a point never made by you or by the video.

Maybe you were too eager to bring attention to this forum.

It is a badly worded title... but the video is referring to the Irrational Fear in Christians - I thought that was pretty self evident... they are commenting on the nitwits that think everyone is waring against them - trying to steal Christmas for example.

Xentor
December 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I agree with you there.

OK, I'll bite: what the hell are you talking about, and how does it connect to the topic at hand (the irrational fear of the Christians)?

I guess you don't feel like answering questions?

DoktorSick
December 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM
That's a cool show,I watch it all the time on youtube.