PDA

View Full Version : Solstice Ritual

Lady Moonsong
December 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
In the past year both my own Circle and many practioners that I know and respect have sensed a great darkness coming towards the world. Instead of despairing at the omens given, I suggest we gather our strength and try to turn the Wheel of Fate as strongly towards the light as we may before this darkness arrives, in whatever form. To this affect I have been communing with the Goddess and asking for what I could do to help. My answer was this ritual and the sense that there will be more to follow throughout the coming year or two. I was also told that I should share this ritual (and the ones to come) with others so that they might use it as well. As with any ritual you should feel free to customize it to your own style if you wish to take my version as inspiration. I just hope this finds whomever needs it.

(This is a prayer/spell for the Winter Solstice. The following should be spoken after the Circle is Cast and Called, although anytime within the ritual after that point is fine. This is fine for a full Circle or a Solitary Practioner. Feel free to adjust as needed.)

On the night of the Winterís Solstice we are reminded that the darkest day is the beginning of a return to light. Many have foreseen a great darkness coming swiftly upon our world. On the Longest Night we pray that the Wheel will turn and light will come to shine through that darkness. We who work with the forces of this world and the next focus our will to bringing forth that light. We stand against the darkness that mankind summons, in ignorance, in pride, or in a quest for power, and we and turn it aside.

(Begin to light a series of candles as you continue to speak, or have other members of your Circle light candles at this time...even tealights work. Twelve is preferrable, one for each month of the coming year, but even one will do if you can't do more.)

We call upon the Goddess and Gods that love us. Help us to see clearly through the darkness that clouds the future. Guide us along the paths that will counter this rising dark and bring about a time of Healing for our world. Send us the wisdom to recognize your omens and portents. Give us the knowledge to turn the Wheel back to the light.

We send our prayers to all that will hear and give their aid:
To the gentle Goddesses and merry Gods that lighten our hearts.
To the Hunter and Huntress that protect us all.
To the Wild Ones that some call Elementals or Fae Folk.
To our Ancestors who have fought these battles before.
To the Gods and Goddess of love and renewal.
To the Gods and Goddess of secrets and shadows.

(If you wish, you can bring forth amulets, talisman, or tools to be blessed at this time. These will be blessed to protect the wearer/bearer from beings of malicous intent. Place these items on an altar or on a cloth that has previously been blessed by the priestess/priest running the Circle. If your Circle is small enough the priest/priestess can go around and bless each person individual as well as - or instead of - items.)

We call to all that will hear our prayers and give us aid in the darkest of times to come. Shield your children as we fight this unseen battle to protect the world that will never know the dangers we have faced on their behalf. Keep us strong against those that would slander us even as we defend them from the forces unseen. Let our hearts and purpose remain pure and let the light shine through each of us on even the darkest of days.

(If you chose to bless items they can now be retrieved. Either the priest/priestess or someone the priestess/priest has designated should now bring forth a pomegrante. Slice open a pomegranate, in half if possible, as the rest is being spoken.)

The pomegranate is a bitter fruit, but the seeds are sweet. Let us find the sweetness in the bitter days. Let us find happiness inside hardship. And as Persephone every year finds her way through a dark realm back into the light, let us likewise remain true to ourselves inside the darkness and bring the world back into the light.
(Leave both halves of the pomegranate outside as an offering after the Circle is closed.)

bigolalaskan
December 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thank you!!!!

Lady Moonsong
December 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
You're welcome. :)

ainecrea
December 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Very nice, I needed something else. Thank you!

MariThorn
December 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks Moonsong! I have been searching for something new to add to the old, and this made me cry. We are dedicating new wands this Yule, and your ritual fits right in. :) Merry Yule!

Lady Moonsong
December 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Very nice, I needed something else. Thank you!

Always glad to spread the gifts of the Goddess. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Lady Moonsong
December 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Moonsong! I have been searching for something new to add to the old, and this made me cry. We are dedicating new wands this Yule, and your ritual fits right in. :) Merry Yule!

It made you cry? I'm touched. I...I just don't have words. I have had that said about some of my poetry in the past, but never a ritual. I'm...speechless. Thank you so much for telling me. It means the world to me. I give thanks to the Goddess for the inspiration and the push to share with others.

Have a truly Blessed Yule!

Dumunzi
December 18th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Nice. :)

But I don't think the world is ending, just yet at least. <_<

Lady Moonsong
December 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Nice. :)

But I don't think the world is ending, just yet at least. <_<

That's not what this ritual is for. A great darkness doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world. Besides, I don't think 'the end of the world' is what most people think it is.

Consider WWII; that was a time of great darkness. For many people it was the end of the world, or the end of the world as they knew it at least. ANd yet the world does in fact go on.

A number of Circles and Solitaries that I have worked with personally or have known online and grown to have great respect for have all seperately sense an encroaching time of darkness. I have also seen omens and done divinations that showed me a dark force gathering power. Once I started talking to people about what I sensed I'd was amazed at how many other have gotten similar portents, feelings, and readings.

That is why I asked the Goddess if there was anything I could do to help strengthen the good in the world and perhaps weaken the dark time approaching. My answer was this ritual and the knowledge that more will be gifted to me throughout the next year or two, and that I should share them with others. My intent in posting it here is simply to let any who feel so called to use it themselves.

And who knows...if this darkness is 'the end of the world', or the end as we know it, maybe a whole bunch of people working together to stop it might just work. It certainly doesn't hurt to try, and it might do a whole lot of good.