PDA

View Full Version : Bihari Hindus converting to Sikhism

BenSt
December 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
I was sitting in bed just listening to music when a conversation I had had in class a few months ago came to mind and I was wondering what your thoughts were.

The issue, as best as I can undertsand it, is that low caste Bihari Hindus are converting to Sikhism to reject and protest caste distinctions. There;s also this other thought out there that it's because the leadership of the states want to dilute Sikhism to bring it back under Hindu dominance.

What seems to be happening is that Sikh religious customs and traditions are not being followed by the Bihari converts, and that these converts are acting out Hindu religious traditions under the guie of Sikhism. One example was to still celebrate Hindu festivals and to perform Aarti to images of the Sikh Gurus.

The issue with that is that image worship is forbidden in Sikhism, as it is in islam. So what are your thoughts on large numbers of Hindus stioll retaining Hindu religious customs, and seemingly ignoring the regulated traditions of Sikhism?

Has anyone heard of this issue, and if so what are your thoughts?