PDA

View Full Version : Yantras

BenSt
December 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I was not sure where to put this, and so I thought here would be the best place.

Yantras! ho here utilizes them or uses them, and what are your thoughts on them?

For those who don't know, Yantras are similar to mandelas but are purely geomtric. They appear as elaborate designs used in meditation or Hindu ritual. Each divinity seems to have one or many associated with them and they almost become like sigils found in western occultism (like the Goetic sigils, or the Veves in Santeria). Probably the most famous one is the Sri yantra:

http://www.timsmith7.com/images/other/celtic_rongolis/rongolis/downloads/sri_yantra_blk_white.jpg

I know that sometimes they will appear in temples next to Murtis of Gods... and also sometimes they will form as a three dimensional mound the tops of Hindu Temples.

What does everyone think of them??

Jolixte
December 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I think it's a really neat idea. I've always loved mandalas.

I'll have to look more into these. Thanks!

yinform
December 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I've got a Yantra on my wall that a friend gave me from Tibet. I always get a good feeling from looking at it.

BenSt
December 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hmm I doubt that it's from Tibet. as yantras are primarily an Indian thing. You probably have a Vajrayana Mandela... similar but not the same. Mandelas usually have people whereas Yantras are purely geometric. I could be wrong though... I'd love to see a pic if you would be willing to upload one :)

Anubis RainHawk
January 19th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I haven't worked with them, but my priestess Chandra teaches that they are manifestations of the Divine. The Kali Yantra, for example, is Kali in geomemetric form just as Her bija mantra Krim is the essence of Her divinity in sound. I know Yantras can also be used in Tantric practice as embodiements of intentional energy, ie yantras to attract protection, prosperity, love, etc. and there are specific magical practices to empower them. My priestess recomments Tools for Tantra by Harish Johari as a guide to Yantra (among other things) but I get the impression that without a teacher, the book may be useless.

Jaratura

el123
January 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I have worn a few Yantra in my childhood.
These are only drawn up by spiritually qualified people who actually know what they are doing. They are often drawn up after checking the horoscope of the person or family needing it. It is then put into a small sealed metal cylinder and worn around the neck like a pendant (the chain is usually just a white or black cord). Before wearing there is alot of mantra chanting and a few small rituals like cutting a lime on top of the head of the wearer... It is worn for however long needed or advised.
Its usually worn for good luck, to avoid illness, defend against evil eye etc. Its traditionally considered very effective. Personally I would never wear a Yantra that is made for someone else. Yantras are usually personalised for your horoscope. Therefore someone else's Yantra could bring bad luck to you.

Gaudior
January 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Yantras and mandalas are used often in therapy. The thing with them is that when you create them, you have to concentrate 100% on them, and allow nothing else to enter your mind at the tim. It's quite an intense meditation!

I believe that you also stare at the very center in meditation as well. It's a very interesting concept. The Kali, Ganesha, and Shiva Yantras are my favorite :)