View Full Version : Do we have any table top role players here?

December 29th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm just curious, I myself am a huge white wolf fan its system is nice and not overly complicated. Fun to play not to bad to run. Currently trapped in playing Exalted.

I've never played dungeons and dragons...and I never will. I sat in on a d&d session once and it was hellish...all combat constantly.. I like a nice blend of combat and social and a plot that develops not just hack slash kill haha

so to our role-players fave games? Any interesting things you had happen in games etc.

December 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I think the D&D session all depends on the Dungeon Master running the campaign. I used to play every Sunday for about a year, and we had a phenomenal DM. He'd let us spend time role-playing and the combat encounters he created were very interesting with all sorts of stories and plot twists. Our little group had a lot of fun :)

For example, my favorite campaign was created using the D7D system but utilized Final Fantasy 11 races and classes. So it had a very japanese anime feel to it. We had an airship and we were mercenaries. I just really can't tell you how much fun that was :smile:

Another one of his was a completely Undead campaign - only WE were the ones who were dead, risen by some enemy that to this day I don't know who it was because the campaign ended. But it was interesting being on the other side of the spectrum ^^

All depends on the DM ;) There are endless possibilities with what you can do.

December 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I'm a D&D player, for about a year now. My roommate is our DM for one game and another friend is DM for another, each game is vastly different, so I totally agree that the DM really sets the tone for how the game may pan out. Of course, my roommate is much more open to PC subplots that really make it a lot more fun for a little while as we get to know each other's characters.

December 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I've been a D&D player for almost 30 years. And Metta is right, a lot depends on the Dungeon Master. It also helps if the group has been playing together long enough to have develped some interactions and use some good role-play. But... we all got so busy that we haven't played together for a couple of years and I really miss it. Computer RPG's are fun, but they're sure not the same.

December 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I'm both a D&D player, and a DM. There is so much room for customization in the game, that the tone really depends on the DM. I tend to run a more skill and roleplay oriented game, where the characters need to think their way through situations rather than just kill stuff. Granted, they have opportunities to start swinging weapons, but it's nowhere neer the entire game. It's always entertaining to see the outcome when the players decide to fight their way through a situation, rather than think through it. Often, things can take an interresting turn.

December 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Boy do I feel old.

Yes I too played D&D and AD&D after it evolved. Spent many a fun and enjoyable time playing in the worlds developed by the different DM's. It's been years now since I have played and never really got into the RPG's that came along. Heck my son couldn't understand why I liked AD&D but really had no use for the card games that came out. Just never the same.

I think the element that I miss most is the various persona's that one could take in the games and the fun and stupidy in the group at times. While the modules would be nice as fillers it was the DM and his/her ability to tell and weave a story that made it fun.

I can sure say some of those DM's sure had a strange sense of humor and/or imagination. Yep I can still recall many of those Cleric/Ranger's I ran or the occasional Druid. Of course as a DM I also enjoyed what I was allowed to create and the fun the party would have if I had done it right.

Strange never carred for the straight fighter, magic user, thief, or Bard. Always the multi-class Cleric Ranger and the Druid. Ah, so many memories from so long ago.

December 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I have been known to climb up on a table-top for some role playing now and then. ;)

December 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I still play most of the old White Wolf games, I really donj't like the newer system they have. and yeah with D$D it really depends on the DM and who's playing, I've played V:tM games that devolved into a big hack and slash fest, and that game is specifically designed for that not to happen.

December 29th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I used to play AD&D all the time and loved it. I did like Werewolf (by white wolf) better though. The rules seemed simpler and it did make for more of a relaxing feel.

Although it AD&D did really depend on the DM. White Wolf just makes it more so that even amatuer "DM's" can make it good.

I also at one point was a big magic the gatherer fan. Had a nice collection of cards but sold them long ago. To bad they would probably be worth a lot more right now.

:hmmmmm: current day D&D... sounds like fun

December 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Hm I guess it must just be my DM, he cant run D&D without it being a kill fest...or it could be our other players. Being the only woman in the group of men who just want to kill stuff tends to be a pain. I always have to bring the social stuff, although our DM can run a mean exalted game with just the perfect mix of social and combat.

Although I have my days where I would love to go on a hack kill fest haha

I have been known to climb up on a table-top for some role playing now and then. ;)

*giggles* havent we all?

I think the element that I miss most is the various persona's that one could take in the games and the fun and stupidy in the group at times. While the modules would be nice as fillers it was the DM and his/her ability to tell and weave a story that made it fun.

I so agree with you. Our groups out of game jokes during sessions really make it fun, we havent had our group together in while just me and the hubby running a game with the two of us, We so miss our group and its stupidity. And its not just the DM, in a good game the DM just guides and the players weave the story and their own plots.

Its truely amazing the plots me and my husband weave in our games together, they get so complex and intriguing at times.

December 30th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Being the only woman in the group of men who just want to kill stuff tends to be a pain.

I know how you feel. >.< In a game of eight people, I'm the only female, so the boys can all get really rowdy at times. I just had to scold them all the other night for having a silly string fight in my kitchen, living room and bathroom. They made sure to pick it all up though, so they are keepers!

December 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I am :)

I mostly played with Forgotten Realms (I still love it, just not the rpg part anymore:() then tried out some Werewolf..unfortunately the party and DM was..not good:) I still really want to try out Changeling tho.

I have a wonderful DM now thankfully, and our group meets..well..in every half a year (XD lolcollege) to play one of his original campaignes.
Last summer it was Dragonlance, very nice story, even if it degenerated to a killfest at the end, mustly due to me, I love Fireball:D
And we played Discworld....now...that was a...hrm what should I call it..LOLfest? XD my most memorable game up to date, and we were only 2 players!

My DM likes freestyle, with some very base rules for dice (for example in the Discworld game, we had to throw when he asked and the number determined if we are lucky or not and our chars had some attribute points and what not..it was very simple) and a great focus on interaction and story so every session is quiet enjoyable and hilarious:D

This february-late january we will play Dragonmech! I'm very excited, it'll be my first not-your-typical-fantasy session:) I'll be a very queer elven gearwright

Besides me there are usually at least one more girl and our group was never more than 5 persons including the DM :)

Garnet Heart
December 31st, 2008, 03:46 AM
My boyfriend is a big table-top game fan. I've never played with a group of people in person, but I play D&D and Exalted regularly via internet chat. I like Exalted quite a lot. I find it easier to connect with the Exalted world than most of the D&D worlds.

January 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I started with Dungeons and Dragons and have steadily grown to hate it. There are much, much better games out there.

The World of Darkness games I've had a more changable relationship with. I have zero time for Vampires in any media at all, so those games and bugger right off. I'm a fan of werewolves, so I enjoy the werewolf games but while I played Werewolf: the Apocalypse first, I like The Forsaken better. I really enjoy the new Changeling game, I think they've fixed that one up nicely.

A really great game that I encourage everyone to play is King Arthur Pendragon. It's a rarer one but not terribly difficult to find- they released a new edition a few years ago. Its an epic Arthurian game with some of the most unique gaming innovations I've ever seen. Each game session lasts a year of your character's life, so you play through entire families from the start of the campaign (under Uther Pendragon) to the end (Arthur's death at Camlann). It's also the only game I've ever seen that requires you to play the personality you say you have, because your personality traits are numbered statistics that can be rolled to see if you act in character.

January 6th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Hey, AJwins any suggestions as to where I could find more info on King Arthur Pendragon game? It sounds really interesting..

January 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM
It's available online for purchase from most mainstream gaming stores. White Wolf owns it now so you should be able to find it there. Worst comes to worst, google "Pendragon RPG", you should come across it.

January 6th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to convince my DM to read it now...hehe.

January 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I play D&D, Marvel, and White Wolf. I have in the past played Rifts, Shadowrun, and Star Wars d20, but I do not prefer those.

January 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I play D&D and at the moment, I am the only girl in the group. We used to have more, but they stopped playing. It's all right, I've been playing on and off for 20+ years. My favorite setting is Forgotten Realms, there's so much depth there. Dragonlance is a quick 2nd favorite setting for me. I've played Changeling and Shadowrun before as well. Also Star Wars d20, but I prefer D&D or Changeling. Our group is trying out the new rules. We've set aside some time at the end of the month to try out 4th edition and see where it takes us.