PDA

View Full Version : location = pantheon?

December7
May 14th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Hi first of all, this is my first posting!

To cut a long story short, I'll just ask the question that I was wondering about since I decided to "take this path": What do you think about the idea, that your special pantheon is connected with the place you live, the place you were born, or simply your origin?

e.g if you live in Ireland "your" goddess is Dana or Bride, if you live in Scandinavia, Germany etc your goddess is Freyja or Frigg, if you live in Greece your goddess...you know what I mean.

What do u think?

bluecat
May 14th, 2001, 11:58 AM
I am one of the deists on the boards that do not have a god or goddess.

Your pantheon can be local, but it should be what you are called to. IMHO.

And welcome to the boards! Have a seat in one of Kaylara's comfy couch/chair thingies and help yourself to the lemonade! I think you will find this a good place.

There should be others responding as time goes, you will get more input on your question. :)

Blue :cool:

amberlaine
May 14th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Like Bluecat, I dont really follow a specific god or goddess (though when asked fo a name, I follow the Jewish God Yahweh) and I certainly dont ascribe to any particular pantheon.

However. I will say that in my experience, choosing a pantheon based on where you live and evern where your ancestors are from is somewhat arbitrary. You have to choose a god figure based on how it calls to you as an individual. Although we each certainly have ties to our ancestors, how different from them are you now? How much do you share with them?

For example. I'm half white, half black. I can tell you now that I have absolutely no relationship with my African ancestors. How can I? The slave owners didn't eactly kep recprds of who my ancestors wwere when they were sealing them from Africa. the rest of me is French, English, German, Hebrew, and Native America, I dont really have a relationship with any of these things either. To be honest, I"m just your run of the mill American. I dont feel a tie with any of these cultures, so to chose a deity based on any of those cultures would be meaningless for *me*.

so. In my opinion, a deity chooses you, you doint choose them. You may have to search them out, because they cannot reveal themselves to the blind, so to speak. But they do come.

Vinga
May 14th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Well as a Swede I have felt more drawn to my Scandinavian heritage than any other, but I still don't like to put a name and a face on my Goddesses and Gods. Without starting an argument, I think the way the Norse Gods and Goddesses were portrayed 1000 years ago were a mirror image of how the people lived at that time and doesn't necessarily apply today. I mean the Scandinavian people did not get permanently stuck in the Viking era, so what makes us think the Gods and Goddesses did? I do pray to my Scandinavian deities, although I don't like to say 'I pray to Freya' or 'I pray to Frigg', I rather like to address 'The Goddess' and trust that whomever feels called in that situation will bless me. I do this because I feel it's a more authentic way than trying to accomodate some romantic image of a Goddess who ruled in a world that was very different from todays society.
Hope that made sense.

Anyway to answer your direct question, no I don't think anyone is required to take on a certain pantheon because of their cultural or biological heritage. I think a person whith a Celtic heritage can very well feel drawn to the Egyptian pantheon, perhaps our past lives play a part in that? I also don't think anyone is required to pick a certain pantheon at all, and I definitely don't think anyone should feel pressured into naming a God or a Goddess as their 'patron' if they don't feel strongly called to that deity.

amberlaine
May 14th, 2001, 04:03 PM
I mean the Scandinavian people did not get permanently stuck in the Viking era, so what makes us think the Gods and Goddesses did?

Very excellent point. ths is part of the reason I have never subscribed to any particular pantheon.

Earth Walker
May 14th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Merry Meet and Welcome. :sunny:

There are many Traditions of Goddess worship, and while
there are variations from area to area; nation to nation,
they are basically all the same.
I follow rituals, etc., from many traditions.

Emy
May 15th, 2001, 12:49 AM
I find myself a bit more drawn to the Norse tradition, just because I am swedish and I have plenty of ancient monuments around me. However I don't always use the Norse pantheon in my workings, I like Vinga make my prays to the goddess and I believe that the best suited one will help me... =) However, I sometimes choose to use a particular goddess or god, it depends on what magic I am doing, but when I do, I choose that goddess or god regardless of what pantheon it might be of....

So I guess I agree with Vinga... you don't have to use the pantheon of your roots or something like that, you should use the pantheon your heart tells you to use at that time, or if you like no particular pantheon at all... =)

reanna
May 15th, 2001, 02:59 AM
:D :D :D :D

Silver Venus
May 15th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Emy
So I guess I agree with Vinga... you don't have to use the pantheon of your roots or something like that, you should use the pantheon your heart tells you to use at that time, or if you like no particular pantheon at all... =)

Brilliant posts everyone!! Merry meet December7!! :D
I feel the same as everyone else here and chose my different gods and goddesses depending upon my ritual and needs, hopes, wishes, blessings.. Ive just been recently learning and working with Norse gods and goddesses and work with Egyptian too ~ But I mostly feel connected to Moon goddesses and the Greek gods and goddesses! and Im from England! :D

Good Luck :sunny:

Mairwen
May 15th, 2001, 11:06 AM
I think this goes hand-in-hand with the Heritage thread ~ but you do what's comfortable to you. I'm on a Welsh path because that's what called to me, that's what is "home" to me, that is where I am comfortable, that's where I have found my roots.

But you don't necessarily have to use a pantheon from where you "live" ... I live in Central Kentucky, and I think anyone here would be hard pressed to find an ancient Kentucky Pantheon ~ as Kentucky was mostly sea for a time, and later, was largely "The Great Hunting Ground". :D

Tigerwallah
May 15th, 2001, 11:11 AM
I am of a mixed background - French, German and Native American. None of these backgrounds play a part in who I worship. Location may have, but I am uncertain. I grew up in New York, and lived there until a year ago. It was at a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art that I found Isis, or maybe she found me. Years before, I met a witch who told me the story of Isis and the golden phallus, and Isis was my favorite superhero on H.R. Puffnstuff. So, who knows. Maybe I was always meant to follow Isis. Most of my past life memories are ancient ones. I always have a rush of memories when my bare feet touch marble, limestone or ceramic. More or less, I believe that our souls pick the pantheon. I know that our souls do not always stay in one geographical location - I have been Zulu, Atlantian, Egyptian, Dutch, English, Asian, etc... But, I do believe that some souls do return to the same places time and again.

Mairwen
May 15th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Excellent Tigerwallah!

SahuaDjet
May 15th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Em Hotep,
I am German, English, and French and none of these are in my religious practices. During medation Asar, Wesir, Orsirs, or whatever you wish to call him called upon me so that led me to find more info on him which took me to Kemet Orthodoxy. They believe all gods are aspects of Netjer (the One) so now I am calling my God Netjer but in a way its still Wesir :D . I dont follow any particular Goddess I just like to refer to her as Mother nature I have seen her but I do not know her name.

Sahu Djet

December7
May 16th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Hi again!

Thanks for answering my question and for the warm welcome :) .
What all your statements have in common is the attitude that one should follow his heart in choosing his/her god/dess. Although I completely agree with you, my mind does not get the point, if ya know what I mean.
I feel called by Goddesses like Kali or Isis, or Gods as Ganesh or Osiris, but my head says: "Woah, whatís wrong with you?! These aren't the right Gods for you!" (coz of my European roots). Well, I tried to follow this thought and worshipped Gods like Freya or Bride or Wotan, but I didn't find love. They simply didnít react to my prayers, didn't show themselves to me, if you can say that. So what to do???

Emy
May 17th, 2001, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by December7
Hi again!

I feel called by Goddesses like Kali or Isis, or Gods as Ganesh or Osiris, but my head says: "Woah, whatís wrong with you?! These aren't the right Gods for you!" (coz of my European roots). Well, I tried to follow this thought and worshipped Gods like Freya or Bride or Wotan, but I didn't find love. They simply didnít react to my prayers, didn't show themselves to me, if you can say that. So what to do???

Well I say it seems like Kali or Isis etc are the right gods and goddesses for you! Obviously your heart tells you so! However I can see how it must be rather annoying haveing your head telling you that you are wrong... Well, perhaps you lived in Egypt in a previous life, or in India, and that's why you are attracted to that pantheon... maybe your head could accept that...?

Blessed be

Tigerwallah
May 17th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Sounds like your soul was once both Egyptian and Indian. They are major influences in this American - European mut's beliefs as well. Happy discoveries :D

December7
May 17th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Yeah, this is the right time to find out what's stronger, head or heart...

Tigerwallah
May 17th, 2001, 10:15 AM

Yeah, this is the right time to find out what's stronger, head or heart...

Find places strong in the influence of the goddesses/gods you are interested in. Museums are always brimming with statuary and some even have temples within their walls. You will make a connection to the right deities for you, and your head won't be able to help going along with it because the evidence will be clear.

December7
May 19th, 2001, 01:41 PM
@ Tigerwallah

As you use the signature "Isis is my Goddess, Sekhmet is my source of strength" I guess these two are your Goddesses. How did you find out they fit for you?
And, do you know interesting websites concentrating on Isis?

Tigerwallah
May 20th, 2001, 12:28 AM
One day, when I was around 12, I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC with an out of town aunt who loved the arts. There, I first saw the temple of Dendur, a 5 BCE temple dedicated to Isis. I didn't know the history at the time. I only knew that I felt something different, something powerful yet sublimely peaceful, while I was there. I never forgot about the temple. Although, I never visited again until I was 23. Then I was drawn back time and again. Eventually, I started to pray to Isis while I was there, and Sekhemet too, as seven statues of her stand guard at the enterance to the exhibit. I soon noticed miracles surrounding my visits. I would ask for something and it would happen almost instantly. Once I asked to see an estranged boyfriend whom I hadn't seen nor heard from for almost a year, and he called and came to see me that evening.

I also, as a witch, have the gift of fertility. I have had amazing results in helping couples start families, which is odd because I, myself, do not want to be a mother, and believe that the world is overpopulated.

Isis started to become very powerful in my life, in a very real, very personal way. When my father died last year, she appeared to me to tell him that he died and was with her. My mom and I were in the waiting room, while my dad was in surgery. 5 minutes later, the doctor appeared to us to let us know that my father had passed away a few minutes before. I saw him with her, and knew he felt great peace. It was a great comfort to me. A few days later at his wake, I again had a vision of her with him. She was allowing him to watch on as hundreds of the people whose lives he touched lined up to show their respects.

As for Sekhemet, I had once been a very meek person. I was date raped when I was 25. I went to her as protector of Isis, and asked her to bestow her strength upon me so that nothing like that would ever happen to me again. I almost instantly felt the presence of two lions at my side. They are my guardians, and I feel them the strongest when I am in periless situations. Once, 5 years ago, I was accosted by 4 large teenage boys outside the mall where I worked. One told me to give him all my money. Well, I felt their presence, stood up to these boys, and walked away from the situation with my money, my health, and my confidence. These days, I am a very strong, very confident woman, and I have Sekhemet to thank. In fact, I often feel as if she is inside of me. I feel as if I can take on the world, fight any adversary, and always be victorious. She, being the goddess of sickness as well as a warrior goddess, has also given me the gift of self-healing.

Here are a few good links:
http://www.open-sesame.com/TempleofIsis2.html http://users.drak.net/eternal-goddess/frames/mainframe.htm http://usa.internations.net/cyber/isistemple/ISISMOONTEMPLE2.html

Good luck in your search. Follow your heart and pay attention to your intersests. I believe that there are no coincidences.

Mairwen
May 20th, 2001, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Tigerwallah
I also, as a witch, have the gift of fertility. I have had amazing results in helping couples start families, which is odd because I, myself, do not want to be a mother, and believe that the world is overpopulated.

I feel very strongly that there are those of us who are called to be Mothers in very special ways ~ and that doesn't mean by being a "birth mother". :D

Tigerwallah
May 20th, 2001, 12:42 AM
I've felt that way, too. I'm glad you said that.

December7
May 22nd, 2001, 08:44 AM
Thanks Tigerwallah for this long reply, I'll have to read it offline :D

Mairwen
May 22nd, 2001, 02:13 PM
8O 8O 8O 8O

December7
May 26th, 2001, 10:13 AM
:embarassedlaugh: ....what?

@tigerwallah

Seems as if you've had an interesting life so far. In which way do you live your religion? I mean, if you tell people you are religious or you do "believe", they almost automatically think you are Christian or at least Jewish. Do you tell them what things are like?
(maybe one should open a new thread :D )

December7
May 26th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Owwww, why didn't my "embarrassed laugh-smiley" work??? :(

Tigerwallah
May 26th, 2001, 12:56 PM
:embarassedlaugh: ....what?

@tigerwallah

Seems as if you've had an interesting life so far. In which way do you live your religion? I mean, if you tell people you are religious or you do "believe", they almost automatically think you are Christian or at least Jewish. Do you tell them what things are like?
(maybe one should open a new thread :D )

I get a lot of weird looks, but that is to be expected. The people who know me, friends, family, coworkers respect me a lot. So, I think that they are much less apt to think that I'm just nuts.

I just say I'm an Isian. That prompts "What's an Isian?" and I explain from there.

Tigerwallah
May 26th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Here is a link to a pic of the Temple of Dendur in the Met. http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view1zoom.asp?dep=10&full=0&mark=1&item=68%2E154

If it looks familiar, it is in "When Harry Met Sally." It is where the "Pecan Pie" scene takes place.

Shy Hawk
June 8th, 2001, 02:31 AM
I don't think you have to follow heritage...My pantheon is Greek. I have no Greek in me as a Puerto Rican/Arab. It called to me, and I answered, so to speak.
You take whatever is good for you..for me, it's my lovely Greeks.
Shy Hawk