PDA

View Full Version : "The Sacred Balance" by David Suzuki

RavenStars
January 5th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I've been meaning to start a thread on his discussion of the four elements wherein he ties people to the environment in this book. But are people more interested in discussing this work in general? I was really moved by this book. The pictures are really juicy. I tend to keep the natural world out there somewhere as does much of our culture. Does anyone else struggle with this?

spiral
January 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Lol, I was just talking about this book in another thread. I loved it, personally. Intellectually I knew that we were a part of the Earth, but this book made me feel it, if that makes sense. As he says, we are creatures of the Earth, and everytime we simply eat or drink or breathe we're reinforcing that connection.

I also liked that it was scientifically sound (as far as I can tell), yet still very accessible.

I've heard that there's a TV series based on the book, but it hasn't been shown here. Have you seen it?

ETA: oh and I love all the quotes from other people that he's included, some are really beautiful and insightful

Mogget
January 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
This book keeps popping up for me - I haven't rerad it yet but getting a feeling that I need to :)

Tanya
January 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
its been sitting on my bookshelf for about a year... It will be the next I'll read so I can join in discussing it.

RavenStars
January 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I was taken with the line...

" If the planet were reduced to the size of a basketball, the atmosphere would be thinner than a sheet of plastic wrap."

Sure I knew the atmosphere was thin. But somehow this image just sticks with me.

Anyway, I watched the Inconvenient Truth the other night. With all the statistics and graphs, I learned quite a bit, but Sacred Balance speaks to the artist in me. That part that wants to touch/smell/hear/taste nature. Maybe it's too cute and cuddly for some people. But I need to have my experience tied to the problems and the solutions. Does this make sense?

spiral
January 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I've been meaning to reread it as well. Maybe when everyone's had a chance to have a read, we should start another discussion in the reading group.

I was taken with the line...

" If the planet were reduced to the size of a basketball, the atmosphere would be thinner than a sheet of plastic wrap."

Sure I knew the atmosphere was thin. But somehow this image just sticks with me.

Anyway, I watched the Inconvenient Truth the other night. With all the statistics and graphs, I learned quite a bit, but Sacred Balance speaks to the artist in me. That part that wants to touch/smell/hear/taste nature. Maybe it's too cute and cuddly for some people. But I need to have my experience tied to the problems and the solutions. Does this make sense?

Yeah it makes sense. Suzuki has a way of writing that really hits home. I think you have to really experience nature before you can properly appreciate it and want to do something about environmental problems. He makes it clear that 'nature' is us and everything around us.

ETA: I just noticed on the World Pantheism Movement website that David Suzuki is one of their honorary advisors. I love finding out that people I admire are pantheists :clapping:

RavenStars
January 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
ETA: I just noticed on the World Pantheism Movement website that David Suzuki is one of their honorary advisors. I love finding out that people I admire are pantheists :clapping:

Cool. Maybe we could structure the reading by chapter or something? Smaller bits are better for me.

spiral
January 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah, that's a great idea :) There's a lot of information to digest in each section.