PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Pantheism videos

spiral
January 10th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I found this series on YouTube and thought it might be of interest; I'm just putting the first two parts here so I don't overload you...

He explains most of my beliefs pretty well. I really like the part where he says that we believe the Earth is divine with as much conviction as others who talk about their Gods, but that we're not talking about a God who is beyond proof or disproof, we're talking about our own emotional response to the Earth.

I also like that he says pantheists can use paganism to connect to the universe - he seems to have a good idea of various types of pantheist practices.

The sound quality isn't wonderful, but I found it interesting. Pretty pictures too! I'd love to know what others (pantheist or otherwise) think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSHoPQmjG6w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6BTt2LOhNk&feature=related

green aventurine
June 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for these, Spiral. I enjoyed watching them. I found them quite helpful because it seemed to emphasise more the experiential side of pantheism which I didn't fully grasp from reading some articles -- I think it helps when you have somebody talking about it and watching those pictures as well. I thought the videos were quite well constructed.

Also, in some ways I could relate to what he was saying. I have a personal phrase that "the wild forest is my church" and I understand what he was talking about at the end of the second video. I lived in London most of my life and I finally got tired of it and moved next to the sea and forests, which I quite like, because I wanted to get back to nature. I still find architecture etc quite beautiful though. It's all good for me, basically.

Just my $0.50 :toofless:

*oonagh*
June 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
hmmm...i don't believe that the cosmos is divine and the earth is sacred. i believe that everything is divine. period.
i guess that begs the question, what do i think is sacred?

Nicholas
June 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
This seems a lot like spirituality trying to masquerade itself as Scientific.

spiral
June 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I've just about forgotten what was in the videos but I'm glad you enjoyed them green_aventurine!

*oonagh* - I'd also be interested to know what you see as the difference between finding something 'divine' and 'sacred'. I think I tend to use the terms interchangeably.

Nicholas - I've heard that criticism of pantheism before, but I don't think it's necessarily true. See here (http://www.pantheism.net/) for example:

By spirituality and spiritual we don't mean any kind of supernatural or non-physical activity - we use the terms in a wider sense. We mean that part of our lives that relates to our deeper emotions and aesthetic responses towards Nature and the wider Universe - to our sense of our place in these, and to the ethics that these feelings imply.This kind of spirituality is complementary to, and even based on science.

*oonagh*
June 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
okay...i've been thinking about this a bit and think i'm able to put into words what i believe re: divine/sacred

i believe that energy...the energy that exists in all things...is divine
i believe that matter...all that exists...is sacred

please don't take this to mean that i *like* everything. i don't think one has to be thrilled with everything in order for that thing to be sacred or its energy to be divine.

i think human emotions are not important enough to count when one is talking about the divine and what's sacred. (i guess that's another thread =o).