View Full Version : The Paulina Tarot....

Owd Scrat
January 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Has anyone else gotten this magical and whimsical deck yet? Or WANT it?

It was released a week ago by USG, it was due back in October but you know how USG usually is way behind schedule.

I've been a long fan of Paulina Cassidy, I have many of her works. Prints, cards. Such amazing and erethral pieces and fantastically affordable! When I heard in her newsletter she was drawing a full Tarot deck, I was over the moon!

Then the looong wait ensued. It was more than worth it in this case. The images are an almost perfect replica of her images scanned online. USG had these cards printed in China and I love the cardstock! For the past few years they have been having all their cards printed in Italy and they have been heavily laminated. Many have complained about this. I myself didn't mind them at all, and even liked some aspects. But the cardstock on The Paulina is more reminescent of AGM decks. A light matte lamination and quality paper.

I've been using, studying and reading with this deck for about a week, and it's been a sumptious and eye-opening journey. This is so far to me a very intuitive deck with gorgeous delicate detail. There is so many layers to each image. I catch sight of something absolutely enchanting everytime I look! The deck as a whole is very coherent and gives one the impression of entering a fairyland world.....a very specific one with it's own population, style of dress, habitats, rituals and traditions. Paulina Tarot is strongly RWS based. But the artist has used a large amount of creative twists and imagination. It's not a slavish clone.

Paulina obviously knows her Tarot well and put much love, thought and amazing energy into each image.

The Paulina Tarot certainly isn't for everyone (which deck is?). It's colours and tone is soft and gentle. More muted and dreamy. There are many vibrant and striking hues though throughout the deck. But on the whole it has a misty and dream-like energy to them. Those that prefer strong colours and distinct lines or bold images won't be taken with this deck. But there are a few friends who prefer the things I mentioned above but on seeing my deck have been captivated and infatuated and wanted their own copies right off!

Just something about this Tarot's aura and exquisite energy. It really draws you in.

The cards measure the average size of most USG decks.....2 3/4" x 4 3/4". The backs are lovely and serene. I wish I had a scanner or camera, but alas none of those to show the backs. They are reversible with 2 soaring birds, flowers, plants. Muted and soft colouring. They happily "fit" the images and style of the cards themselves. We all know way to many decks where the backs of the cards leave you with WTF were they thinking?!

The LWB (little white book) is pretty well-done as far as LWB's are. She describes the cards lyrically and shares her ideas about some of the symbolism on each card. Per usual though the Majors get a little longer treatment. The interpertations are fairly standard with some interesting twists. No interesting spreads, just the yawn inducing Celtic Cross. Wish more different and interesting spreads would find their way into LWBs. I won't hold my breath though!

You can see all the cards here: http://www.paulina.ws/tarot/

Her website with all her prints and other items are here: http://www.paulina.ws/intro.html You should go take a peek, she's a one of a kind artist and a lovely warm woman.

I've included a few of my favourite cards so far for your delight.

January 19th, 2009, 12:15 AM
wow - I love the pics, so much detail and color.

January 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Wow, that one is going on my wish list! Thanks for posting about it. I'm going to move this over into the reviews area, since you've done such a great job of it! :D

January 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
What cool artwork!

Owd Scrat
January 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Wow, that one is going on my wish list! Thanks for posting about it. I'm going to move this over into the reviews area, since you've done such a great job of it! :D

Thanks TP! I was thinking I was just chatting about what I liked about the deck, and kinda got "into it" so I guess it did turn into a mini-review! :uhhuhuh: