PDA

View Full Version : Practicing and little things in barracks.

Shawn Cameron
January 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
ok so I'm purity sure that most people in the military have lived in barracks at least once in there carriers. and that being said we all know that it is not the same as living in a collage dorm... what with room inspections and regulations and slightly more stringent/paranoid room mates.

I'm currently stationed in Petaluma California attending Coast Guard Electronics Tecknition 'A' school. and though I have my altar set up (lacking candles and insents and oils and anything that might even be remotly flamable) I'm having a hard time thinking of things and ways in which I can really 'live' the path as they say.

for some reason little things that I used to do or that other poeple tell collage students they can do but I can't are getting to me... like smuging (again with the NO smoke of any kind) or sault, though I supose that could be vacumed, or even placeing things in the corners or on/by the door frames or anything like that.

so I supose what I'm looking for is any kind of sight, or idea or story or anything that is more barracks specific since its not the same thing as collage which is all I really have to go by.

Autumn
January 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Now I've never lived in barracks but I have a deck of Goddess Cards from paintings by Susan Boulet (sp) they were published by Pomegranate under the title "Goddess Knowledge Cards. These and the Crystal Tarot from the people who did the "Love is in the Earth" crystal books might both come in handy for someone who is somewhat limited in what you can display.

Hope this is of some help.

monsnoleedra
January 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well it has been many years since I lived in a barracks setting, so am not sure exactly how they have changed. Add that you are also in a student status on tempory ordes your options get a little more limited. You didn't say how long the school is but based upon Navy schools I am assuming 6 - 9 months. Do you have to go through BEEP school as well?

Ok,

Part of what I had to do was scale down my area of concern. Some of the things you might consider are things like, enclosing a small juju type bag of salt or other purifyer and place it either in your pillow case or above the springs of your rack. If you want you can actually make a few of them to mark the borders of your rack. If you have the old pole type rack with caps you might even pop the caps and place the protection inside the legs of the rack.

I know the inspections I did over the years, we did not disturb the underside of a rack unless something really appeared amiss. I do not know if your school command does white tornado inspections but those will reveal your juju bags so the manner and size do come into play.

You can actually do some of the same in regards to your wall locker. Legal always told us we had to have the person present to inspect a walllocker so most school commands I was with didn't bother that facet unless we had cause.

Actual practice is a little harder for the barracks are designed for a realtively quick turn over rate of occupants. Some schools even have their students change barracks as they progress through the various course that make up the class sequence. That does not even touch upon the varying time schedules that may be encountered due to roommates.

With regards to living your path, that will depend upon what your path actually is and how you identify "Living" it.

For me my path is mostly internal so meditating, prayer or anything like that was no problem. I simply did it before I went to sleep or sometimes I actually sat on the back stairs to my barracks beneath the stars. Heck a couple of times I just sat on the picnic table and wrote things out and spoke to the gods / goddesses.

If you need candles, get some of the Christmas candles and different colored lights. Sometimes you can use different room refreshers to give the air a certain smell or arouma. Of warning though make sure no one is allergic to it. You might even try some of the flicker type lights that are made to resemble candles.

By the way I'm a retired Navy Chief so probally have a good understanding of a lot of what your talking about from a maritine perspective.

Will be glad to help if you need to talk to anyone. Not sure our paths or way of walking them are the same but I have definatley been where your going.

banondraig
January 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
How long will you be in training? You might have to simply suck up the wish to display items for a while. Typically fully-qualified military personnel have a bit more leeway with inspections, and you might be surprised at the number of fellow pagans you meet. I know I was during my time in the Army.

You might want to try those plug-in warmers for jar candles as a substitute for incense, but be prepared to explain them, especially if you are male.

If you don't have an SOP for the inside of your drawers, you might also have your altar set up most of the time, and quickly put it away when you hear of inspections, assuming you don't have a lot of surprise inspections.

Louisvillian
January 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
ok so I'm purity sure that
"Pretty sure".

at least once in there carriers.
Assuming you are not talking about naval personnel, "Careers".

and insents and oils and anything that might even be remotly flamable
"Incense"; "remotely flammable".

poeple tell collage students
"People; "College".

or sault,
"Salt".

Autumn
January 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have to ask what the point of the above post was? Sure I gritted my teeth at the spelling but is it really needful to do things like this? Can we try and be a little more tolerant?

Lunacie
January 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have to ask what the point of the above post was? Sure I gritted my teeth at the spelling but is it really needful to do things like this? Can we try and be a little more tolerant?

Some of those might have been typos. When I catch a typo in my post I use the Edit button, but I suspect there have been a lot that I haven't caught. I did think it was a few too many for a college student, but maybe his major is math instead of English subjects?

ok so I'm purity sure that most people in the military have lived in barracks at least once in there carriers. and that being said we all know that it is not the same as living in a collage dorm... what with room inspections and regulations and slightly more stringent/paranoid room mates.

I'm currently stationed in Petaluma California attending Coast Guard Electronics Tecknition 'A' school. and though I have my altar set up (lacking candles and insents and oils and anything that might even be remotly flamable) I'm having a hard time thinking of things and ways in which I can really 'live' the path as they say.

for some reason little things that I used to do or that other poeple tell collage students they can do but I can't are getting to me... like smuging (again with the NO smoke of any kind) or sault, though I supose that could be vacumed, or even placeing things in the corners or on/by the door frames or anything like that.

so I supose what I'm looking for is any kind of sight, or idea or story or anything that is more barracks specific since its not the same thing as collage which is all I really have to go by.

Some people use birthday candles for their spell work. They burn quickly, they take up little room. Native Americans don't always use sage smoke, sometimes they use tobacco smoke. Easy enough to get a pack of cigarettes. Salt and water are commonly used to cleanse and protect a space.

What kind of things are you used to doing that you think won't work in a barracks? If we had something more specific we could come up with ideas specifically for you.

Shawn Cameron
January 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM
ok the spelling... if spell check doesn't catch it then neither will I. something I've dealt with forever, and though I try to mention it it gets really old if I do it in every post so sorry for that... if its so bad you don't know what I mean I'll try to use different words to explain.

other then that thank you everyone. I think the salt bags are the best Idea I've seen so far so long as its not found and thought to be food outside of an air tight container! candles and tobacco are a no go for indoors sadly. I think in the end sucking it up will be the only real option.

I'm here till June 26th assuming I don't get reverted back in training and the chance of moving rooms or room maits is always a posiblity even if its a slightly slim one (being female they try and keep us in our same rooms for lack of space to move us.) I've managed to have quite a few things out with little question (though the furs are always brought up :P )

I'm primarily internal with my practices but I have been trying to make them a little more external for focuse reasons, though I supose that I'll have to put that off yet again. anyway thank you all for your help.

now if only I could find a practical ward against those pesky inspections... (<- half kidding)

Kraheera
January 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Well, here's what i did.

I used symbols. My journal sat on my dresser, as the centerpiece. I kept one red cup in the left, for the masculine, and one green cup on the right, for the feminine. I had posters taped to my wall that could have been just for "pretty colors" (It's nice to be a girl, sometimes) but the imagery meant a lot.

I also would turn one of my Oracle cards up for the day.

At a glance, it looked very organized, and no one quite knew what it was except that I was artsy, and might be practicing art. I had a lock on my journal, so they couldn't get into it.

That might work for you.

Unfortunately, DOD is starting to ban smoking throughout all tech schools.

monsnoleedra
January 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
One thing you might consider is the option of you using your own blanket on the bed. If you use your own blanket you could sew a small packet about the size of a tea bag on each corner of the blanket. Place a small portion of salt and maybe tabacco in each pouch and sew them to the blanket. If you use material the same color as the blanket they are near invisible.

Being female it was not that unusual to see in any of the barracks room I had to inspect over the years, to include those at school command's.

If you are ok at sewing you might even sew the protection glyphs or other protection marks into the blanket or in hidden seams of your clothes. As such you can also re-charge them when you wash them, using the washing water with a touch of salt to help purify everything.

In a secretive way you can also place a small pinch of salt or ash in the window ledges on the outside framing as a ward of protection. If you have to wax the deck you might slip a pinch of ash or fine salt into the wax on your side of the room. The same can be done on the back framing of your dresser, desk, table on the underside.

The first thing I would do though is sit down and actually look at the make up of your barracks room and what is in it. Most inspections are general health and welfare of the spaces, so there is some room to wiggle around in if you look at what is there.

I know one person that used the head board on their bunk to hold books. The end books each contained a small packet that was fixed to the back of each book.

Hope that helps

Louisvillian
January 27th, 2009, 02:03 AM
ok the spelling...
I do apologize for getting on you about it like so. I'm very OCD about such things, so, sorry about that. :toofless:

I would have had something else relevant to the topic, but I really couldn't think of much that hasn't already been said. It is an interesting thread topic, though.

Shawn Cameron
January 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
these are all great ideas, thank you all so much I'll see what I can do in the up coming weeks. honestly I didn't even think about sewing at first and I sew all the time. it would be a great way to keep the charms on me anywhere I work as well since the job can be risky on occasion what with all the electronics and shock risks.

kaosxmage
March 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
During my time in the Army, it was perfectly accepted by my team and NCO's that I wanted time away for "religious" purposes just like the average Christian got. I kept my journal tucked in my wall locker. The easiest thing to do is speak with a Chaplain about your needs, and your immediate NCO in charge.

sleepycat
March 20th, 2009, 10:37 PM
How about this:
a feather, a picture of a volcano, a seashell, a pretty stone (they can all be photos)
place them on your desk in an orderly fashion.
I like Kraheer's idea of posters (if you can have them)
remember, above all else, you carry the divine Inside.