PDA

View Full Version : Well, here we go!

TygerTyger
January 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
This is the first picture that I've completed on my new graphics tablet. It's based on a pen and ink drawing that I did some years ago.

I would be grateful for some constructive criticism please - but don't be too harsh; I'm a gentle soul you know!

:thumbsup:

Infinite Grey
January 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
:thumbsup: very nice! Perhaps the links I sent you were unnecessary. Though the custom brushes might make your life easier, and the lighting effects and color tweeking techniques may help you bring a vibrancy to your work - it's looking a little flat at the moment... don't let that get you down, I'm having a hard time believing this is your even your first week using GIMP.

Amilee
January 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
The presence of the stag takes center stage here and I LOVED the asymmetry of the horns because, for some reason, it balanced out the picture nicely

Do you use layers? If you do I would suggest getting a flate color behind that stag just so that the places where you missed fur get blended in with the stag itself and not the background.

I was so impressed with the stag...and then you did the rock! Awsome stag, not so awsome rock. No really I wanna see more shading and detail on that sucker!

Another thing, you have too much white. Now, it's only a big deal because white is so distracting! If you're going to do a sketch like this put your animal on a different tone and very light grey for example. This should take away from the harsh glare of the white.

All around you have really good control of your tablet and it's very impressive. I hope you keep at it because you definetly have talent!

TygerTyger
January 28th, 2009, 03:53 AM
:thumbsup: very nice! Perhaps the links I sent you were unnecessary. Though the custom brushes might make your life easier, and the lighting effects and color tweeking techniques may help you bring a vibrancy to your work - it's looking a little flat at the moment... don't let that get you down, I'm having a hard time believing this is your even your first week using GIMP.

No I think the links will prove very useful indeed. I sisn't use any custom brushes out of ignorance, I used the toolbox intuitively but I do need to learn to do it properly. I chose this sketch because it was a simple composition and I felt confident with it. You're right about the lighting and the lack of vibrancy, but then that's how we learn right! I've messed around with Windows Paint and I used Deluxe Paint on the old Amiga many years ago.

The presence of the stag takes center stage here and I LOVED the asymmetry of the horns because, for some reason, it balanced out the picture nicely

Do you use layers? If you do I would suggest getting a flate color behind that stag just so that the places where you missed fur get blended in with the stag itself and not the background.

I was so impressed with the stag...and then you did the rock! Awsome stag, not so awsome rock. No really I wanna see more shading and detail on that sucker!

Another thing, you have too much white. Now, it's only a big deal because white is so distracting! If you're going to do a sketch like this put your animal on a different tone and very light grey for example. This should take away from the harsh glare of the white.

All around you have really good control of your tablet and it's very impressive. I hope you keep at it because you definetly have talent!

Using layers is something that I am going to learn about. I really enjoyed doing this picture and have plans to produce a lot more. Many thanks for the encouragements!

:thumbsup:

TygerTyger
January 28th, 2009, 11:13 AM
You know, it doesn't look so good as a jpeg as it does in bitmap form. I'll have to remember that!

Shanti
January 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
That picture could of been in our Critter chat picture contest!!
We could of placed it in farm animals since there are deer farms.

Awesome picture, it probable would of been a winner too.:smile: