PDA

View Full Version : Warm spell coming.

Shanti
February 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Here we go, from boring winter and waiting for spring to spring started to shows its intent which means busy!

I am excited because there is warm coming that will allow more time with the animals, which is better than cold times and running out to just feed and water and getting back inside before you gloves freeze solid.

This coming week it will be warm enough to actually stay out with them when feeding time comes and before if I choose.

They need hooves trimmed before true spring arrives so they dont get hoof rot in all the wet thaw.
I finally get to go check everyone to see who is pg and who is not.

I hope we see good lambing and kidding this year. We are down to the last 2 packs of meat in the freezer.

Time also to pick the keeper chickens for breeding and egg laying and get out the ones for barbecue.

I can take time to pet, hug and talk with them all too!!:boing:
We have 30 and 40 degree weather on its way!!:boing::boing::boing::boing:

Lorrie
February 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am SO ready for spring! I am ready to plant and dig and, and and, I just want temps that I can stand to be outside in again!!!:weirdsmil To take my walk in clothes that do not add ten pounds to me would be very nice. By the time I dress for the weather, I can hardly move some days.

Shanti
February 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I am SO ready for spring! I am ready to plant and dig and, and and, I just want temps that I can stand to be outside in again!!!:weirdsmil To take my walk in clothes that do not add ten pounds to me would be very nice. By the time I dress for the weather, I can hardly move some days.
Plant and digging I am not even thinking about yet because before that its mucking out all the coops and livestock stalls...yuk! LOL

I am so sick of putting on so many cloths that you cant even move then you have to haul feed buckets and water with arms sticking straight out.
I feel sometimes like an over stuffed penguin.http://www.gifking.de/gif/pin/9.gif

Lorrie
February 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
My back yard is normally under water until late June, so this year I am going to skip planting annuals in my containers and plant my herbs in them instead so I can actually get in a "full" season this year, plus if we get a late frost which almost always happens, I can get the containers safe easily. We have a short enough growing season as it is, I am tired of losing most of my herbs each year due to flooding and late frosts.

Shanti
February 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
My back yard is normally under water until late June, so this year I am going to skip planting annuals in my containers and plant my herbs in them instead so I can actually get in a "full" season this year, plus if we get a late frost which almost always happens, I can get the containers safe easily. We have a short enough growing season as it is, I am tired of losing most of my herbs each year due to flooding and late frosts.
Dont feel bad. We loose a lot of our land to flooding being on the river and 1/2 our land is wetlands. :weirdsmil

I have areas that I would love to grow things, sun is just right, nice humus, but it occasionally floods enough to water log plants there. I lost a fantastic crop of worm wood to the water-logging after a short flooding. That crop was beautiful. I use wormwood for the goats and sheep as part of their natural worming herbs.
It was a shame it was lost.

The high areas for panting are either in 24/7 shade do to the pine grove around the house or in dryness on raised areas thats all sand and water shed.

I am working on perfecting an area for my gardens thats in-between the shade and the dry areas. Last year we had several crops that grew well. Some didnt, but it takes time to get it all just right when your starting with abused lousy land.(previous owner killed everything with stupidity like mowing grasses to 1 inch in a sand based, sun baked dry plot.)

mephistopheles
February 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'll be able to play around with the ponies without freezing my ass off ^.^

Cindlady2
February 6th, 2009, 02:07 PM
:)

materra
February 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
This is the time of year when I would grab kid, kith, kin and go have a winter picnic. Even with just a sled and a kid or few you can do this on any south facing slope out of the wind. Plastic for under the blanket, hot soup from the thermos and sandwiches. We could have bonfires but not everyone has that space. You go out just before noon and stay out until about 2pm in the north. The heat of the day is different here in the southwest. It is later in the day.

This also was the time of year the plant catalogs would arrive and I would over buy. Mostly due to the piles and piles of snow and ice. The cold and gloom contrasting with all the pretty colors in the catalogs. The stuff would show up and demand immediate planting. Mostly on the same day. Sheesh. :weirdsmil

mephistopheles
February 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I spent all day Saturday and most of Sunday outside. Of course now I've got a headcold from hell, but I got pony time in ^.^

Signed,

Skywards, the princess of tissues this morning :lol:

Shanti
February 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Tomorrow we are looking at dry and sunny and in the 50's.

A nice break before winter comes back again. :)

We plan to separate all the males from the female livestock and get every ones hooves trimmed.
Hoof trimming is an all day affair so we will definitely be out in that wonderful weather. :boing:

Today...rain.
Tonight thunder storms.:boing::boing::boing:

Glowingsun
February 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Today it's 1C and very slick outside. I documented the morning weather this morning and put it youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c42u3WpVNA4

Clair de la Lune
February 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM
SW MI will hit 60 Tues. and sunny!! FRIGGIN' HEAT WAVE!!! :acheeer::surf:

Oh, and we still have snow on the ground today....and HUGE killer icecicles above.
Can we say....mud mess, and ice daggers? hehe

Darth Wychipu
February 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I live on a dirt road on acreage in Bath, MI....it's already a slushy, muddy mess. I'm enjoying the sun, though!!!!

mephistopheles
February 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I live on a dirt road on acreage in Bath, MI....it's already a slushy, muddy mess. I'm enjoying the sun, though!!!!

All of N. IL is a slushy, muddy mess XD.

Shanti
February 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
We went below feezing of course last night so this morning everything was frozen. I just went to check on the chickens now that the sun is out and everything is melting fast.

The chickens are swimming!!

The way the snow blew and piled up around the coop is causing a mini river to flow, right into the coop!

I have 1-2 of standing water in the coop. You dont want to know what the eggs were like this morning in water that mixed with the poo and mud. Yuk!!

Going back out to mound hay piles in the coop so the birds can keep their feet, feathers and eggs dry.

What a mess.

materra
February 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hugs Shanti..and you are right Chickens and Mud/rivers is not a good thing. Not at all. :goodgrief

Glowingsun
February 10th, 2009, 01:02 AM
It was soooooooooooo slippery today. It was almost impossible to walk anywhere, yet I had so much to do and so many places to go.

Cindlady2
February 10th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I think we're at our winter tease.... will get slammed with cold and snow again soon enough!

mephistopheles
February 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I have 1-2 of standing water in the coop. You dont want to know what the eggs were like this morning in water that mixed with the poo and mud. Yuk!!

Ugh, my friends barn flooded too. Of course on the side where my prone-to-thrush horse is. Yarg.

Shanti
February 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Warm spell over! :(

Snow due this Friday. :(