PDA

View Full Version : Broiler breeds mixed with dual.

Shanti
February 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I had gotten broiler chicks last year. Raised some up to 12 weeks for cooking and saved some for breeding into my dual breeds to see if that would give me a better meat on the duals.

Well, those chicks from last year are over 6 months old. They have less meat if anything but are bonier. That defeated the idea here.
Also they eat 3 times more than the same size dual. Thats not productive at all considering they have more bone than meat!

Conclusion....broilers were not worth breeding to the duals.

I will stick with dual to dual.
I have 2 nice Faverolle Roosters for breeding with all my different dual hens for future chicks. Those roo's are the best dual roo's I have seen so far. Meaty, docile, weather tolerant and easy on the hens. Faverooles are also good layer and lay all winter so the genes from the roos shouldnt hurt in future hen egg production. Thats another thing lost in broiler breeds.

Oh and Faverolles are pretty so maybe some of those dual crossed offspring will add some pretty to my plain breeds.

I have 2 pretty young roo's from my top hat collection that are top hat crosses. But thats a seperate coop of birds. :smile:

Cindlady2
February 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Dang you make me want chickens!

Shanti
February 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
We have 2 in the slow cooker now! :toofless:

Cindlady2
February 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
oooohhhh
I can be there in 2 hours or less!:dinnertim

Cindlady2
April 14th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I just saw this while looking for another thread.... had to laugh! A little over 2 years ago. Now I have my house and my CHICKENS!!!!
I'm looking forward to those Faverolles! 2nd week in may? Can't remember when you were going to set them.

Shanti
April 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I just saw this while looking for another thread.... had to laugh! A little over 2 years ago. Now I have my house and my CHICKENS!!!!
I'm looking forward to those Faverolles! 2nd week in may? Can't remember when you were going to set them.I was going to load them this week into the bator but with this cold snap, I have to wait. The house gets cold at night and the bator would run constantly plus have a hard time maintaining temp with to much flux in the room. So hopefully next week the weather will even out again. Glad we didnt get snow! Last night it was 32 outside.
So I am hoping for mid-late May hatching. I'll FB you when I get that bator loaded. :)

Cindlady2
June 29th, 2011, 04:26 AM
My how things change...LMAO
I now have 16 hens, 7 pullets, 3 cockerels, 11 or more (they're still hatching) chicks and 5 guinea chicks!