PDA

View Full Version : Ostara/Spring Equinox Celebrations

Cloaked Raven
February 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Since we're in the middle of February and winter will soon be loosening its grip on the Northern Hemisphere, I was wondering how others celebrate Ostara and the coming of spring.

To answer my own question...

I generally keep things very simple, considering I'm a solitary Christian Witch. I light candles, say prayers for everyone and start getting my home ready for spring... I begin planning what I'd like to have done to our yard (any planting, pruning etc) and thinking on where to store the winter clothing and other things we use only during the colder weather. I do put one of the extra scarfs away as a symbol of getting ready for the warmer weather... I hide it in a closet or drawer and don't take it out again until the cold weather comes back again.

zionwood
February 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
well, i do intend to do a solitary ritual on the equinox, or as close as possible. It will probably be influenced by it being Lent in the church year.
I think i'll also do some "spring cleaning", though i'm kind of dreading it 'cus i'm not always sure where stuff should go. but, it'll be nice to have extra space when that's done, and be able (hopefully) to find stuff better.

zionwood
February 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM
oops, sorry for the double post.

HerbGurl
March 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
I am not sure what I am going to do for this Sabbat. Probably some sort of Spring cleaning, both mundane and magickal.

zionwood
March 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM
update...i'm gonna do a small solitary ritual on the morning of the equinox, lighting a candle and saying a prayer based on one i wrote for the equinox a couple years ago. the next day i hope to do a little more ritual.

SparkleWytch
March 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
For Ostara I'll be celebrating with the small circle I am a part of. It will be fun and i think there will be egg dying!

Cloaked Raven
March 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM
:bumpsmili

Ostara is on Saturday... Anyone want to share what they're planning to do this year? :)

WitchJezebel
March 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'm moving soon so I'm going to start purging, cleaning out and donating unwanted/needed items. We're supposed to have glorious weather as well so I'll open up all the windows and air the place out but good. I'm having a friend over for dinner so we'll probably grill something then have a little ritual type thingie and then I'll bless the house when she leaves.

faye_cat
March 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I am celebrating it with the Student Pagan Organization I'm a part of. We will be doing an animal blessing, cauldron burning "shedding of the skin", receiving seedlings, and some other stuff.

Privately, that's the night I plan on dedicating my altar and offering a blessing to deities.

Cloaked Raven
March 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm planning on lighting some candles after Lil Cloaky goes to bed and putting away a couple of winter items, like a scarf or a couple of hats.

Today, it's over 60 F/16 C and sunny outside... We have our heat off, the windows are open and I'm loving this warm weather!!

Spring is FINALLY here!! :boing:

zionwood
March 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Today i did light incense and a green candle and pray a spring equinox prayer. A couple days ago, when the weather was more clement where i am, i visited some places nearby that are sacred to me. I saw a snake coiled up next to one of them, sunning itself.

HerbGurl
February 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM
*bump*
What is everyone doing this year? Ostara is one of those Sabbats that I tend to forget to celebrate! When I was a "full" Pagan, I would celebrate the Eleusinian Mysteries. I've read on a couple of mailing lists that I am on, that some people use this date instead of Easter to celebrate the "Sacred Union" between Jesus and Mary Magdalene. Not sure what I will be doing this year, if anything...

perceval23
February 27th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I'll be observing Lent when it's time for it, with the light fasting, meditation, candles, prayer, etc. But that'll also be about the time for St. Patrick's, which is a really big deal where I am. Plus, naturally, I'll be celebrating my Irish heritage, considering everyone here who doesn't even have an Irish heritage celebrates St. Patrick's.

I've come to see the whole period from Lent and St. Patrick's through Easter as one very large ritualistic welcoming of Spring. One thing I like about the Christian calendar is how it has these Seasons instead of just putting all it's focus on single days. As soon as Christmas Season, the main Winter festival, ends (the night of January 5), Carnival Season begins (January 6), the promise that Spring is coming. I've discovered that when you think of it as Carnival Season, it genuinely helps on those worst Winter days, making them less miserable. The extreme cold, ice, and snow just becomes an inconvenience that you're thinking of as temporary, since the fac that it's Carnival Season is serving as a constant reminder and promise that Spring and renewal is just around the corner.

HerbGurl
February 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'll be observing Lent when it's time for it, with the light fasting, meditation, candles, prayer, etc. But that'll also be about the time for St. Patrick's, which is a really big deal where I am. Plus, naturally, I'll be celebrating my Irish heritage, considering everyone here who doesn't even have an Irish heritage celebrates St. Patrick's.

I totally forgot about Saint Patrick's Day! :whatgives It's the biggest holiday in my house, as my mother is half Irish half German. When I was younger, the "leprechauns" would come and dye everything green!
My father, and mother would put green dye in the bottoms of the juice and milk glasses so when the liquid was poured in them, they would magically turn green. She would have white carnations on the table the day before, and they would have turned green when we came down the next morning.They would put those tablets in the toilet to make the water turn green. The best though was that night we would have a green bath! They would put the food coloring in the closed drain of the tub, so it would turn green when filled. (Can you tell that my mother was a preschool teacher?) When I found out about Santa and all that, I was more upset about the leprechauns.
:boing:

I've come to see the whole period from Lent and St. Patrick's through Easter as one very large ritualistic welcoming of Spring. One thing I like about the Christian calendar is how it has these Seasons instead of just putting all it's focus on single days. As soon as Christmas Season, the main Winter festival, ends (the night of January 5), Carnival Season begins (January 6), the promise that Spring is coming. I've discovered that when you think of it as Carnival Season, it genuinely helps on those worst Winter days, making them less miserable. The extreme cold, ice, and snow just becomes an inconvenience that you're thinking of as temporary, since the fac that it's Carnival Season is serving as a constant reminder and promise that Spring and renewal is just around the corner.
I really like that idea! :thumbsup:

scrumpygirl13
February 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
not sure yet what i'll be doing. this will be my first ostara on this path so i'm excited. i believe i'm going to make these adorable little guys:

http://www.sacredmists.com/free-ostara-recipes-bun-buns.html

as part of the food i intend to make. definitely going to continue the spring cleaning i started on imbolc. i'm hoping that most of the minnesota winter will be waning by the time of ostara - otherwise it'll be pretty cold in this tiny apartment when i open up all three of the windows.

my life is in a constant state of imbalance right now and i am trying to find that balance again so i'm sure i'll do some centering and some kind of meditation on finding balance.

candles, prayers and a walk outside in nature are definitely on my list.

perceval23
February 28th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I totally forgot about Saint Patrick's Day! :whatgives It's the biggest holiday in my house, as my mother is half Irish half German. When I was younger, the "leprechauns" would come and dye everything green!
My father, and mother would put green dye in the bottoms of the juice and milk glasses so when the liquid was poured in them, they would magically turn green. She would have white carnations on the table the day before, and they would have turned green when we came down the next morning.They would put those tablets in the toilet to make the water turn green. The best though was that night we would have a green bath! They would put the food coloring in the closed drain of the tub, so it would turn green when filled. (Can you tell that my mother was a preschool teacher?) When I found out about Santa and all that, I was more upset about the leprechauns.
:boing:

That sounds like it was a lot of fun.

HerbGurl
February 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
That sounds like it was a lot of fun.
It was. :) I never understood what the big deal was with some Pagans about disliking St. Patrick's day, because for me it was so much fun! And if I do ever have children some day, I am totally doing this as well!

Kalioppee
March 4th, 2011, 10:37 PM
It was. :) I never understood what the big deal was with some Pagans about disliking St. Patrick's day, because for me it was so much fun! And if I do ever have children some day, I am totally doing this as well!

Oh that sounds great and it is so wonderful to keep up neat traditions. The St. Patrick's Day thing is that St. Patrick drove out the snakes "Druids" from Ireland. (A Christian getting rid of the pagans)

I am not really sure what I will be doing for Ostara this year.. I do plan on attending this one Orthodox church and I hope my kids will join me for Easter and like many I see house cleaning and all welcoming in Spring. I will also be making my eggs and yes against everyone's say.. Grandma makes Easter baskets for her grandkids!

perceval23
March 5th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Oh that sounds great and it is so wonderful to keep up neat traditions. The St. Patrick's Day thing is that St. Patrick drove out the snakes "Druids" from Ireland. (A Christian getting rid of the pagans)

Actually, what the driving the snakes from Ireland meant was... a simple bit of folklore explaining why there were no snakes (as in the literal legless reptiles) in Ireland.

It wasn't even part of Celtic Christian Myth. The Myths had Ireland's lack of snakes as part of the reason the Milesians came there (An ancestor had gotten poisoned by one).

The "This really was about the Druids" thing is just something some Wiccans came up with, as some feel the need to be persecuted at all times, and will try to turn anything into some manner of persecution of themselves. The thing is, when Patrick came to Ireland, the armies and Government were on the side of the Druids. They were the ones doing the persecuting.

Also, the main change that came with Celtic Christianity was adding Christ, his Mythology, and teachings to the Mythology, spiituality, and practices that were already there, and getting rid of human sacrifice (on the basis that Christ's sacrifice meant there was no more need for it). Since Ireland was never conquored by the Roman Empire, Christianity there was shaped by, and reflected, the Celtic culture rather than the Roman one. St. Augustine said of the Druids...

What we now call the Christian religion existed amongst the ancients, and was from the beginning of the human race, until Christ Himself came in the flesh; from which time the already existing true religion began to be called Christianity.

Augustine believed the British legend that Jesus, in his childhood, was taught in Britain by Druids at Glastonbury. Glastonbury, of course, is famous as the access point to Avalon, the Fairyland where the Holy Grail was protected by a sacred Sisterhood.

The actual dispute between Patrick and the Druids was over the relationship between Church and State. The Druids, acting on behalf of the High King, ordered all the fires put out before the festival on the full moon following the Vernal Equinox, so that all the sacred fires for the festival would be lit from the King's in Tara. Patrick defiantly lit one, himself. The whole matter was settled in the usual manner of religious leaders in Ireland at the time: A contest of magic, which Patrick won, thereby proving himself.

Cloaked Raven
March 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, probably just lighting some candles, saying more prayers than I usually do and thank the almighty that SPRING HAS ARRIVED...

(I am SO SICK of WINTER!!)

scrumpygirl13
March 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, probably just lighting some candles, saying more prayers than I usually do and thank the almighty that SPRING HAS ARRIVED...

(I am SO SICK of WINTER!!)

DITTO! we're supposed to get another 13 inches of snow this coming week...i cannot wait for spring!

zionwood
March 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm going to do a little ritual in the woods like i've done for spring equinox the past couple years. I think i will invoke Jesus as Aslan and the Father as the Emperor (Beyond the Sea, like in the Narnia books). I may get/make some kind of cake or cookie and before eating it give three little to bits to the Trinity there in the woods.
I will probably light a candle at St. Joseph's altar at the local basilica on Mar. 19, St. Joseph's day.
On the equinox day there will be a drum lesson nearby and i will dance at that.
And i may also do a ritual at my altar, that involves pouring two cups of water into each other like the angel in the Temperance tarot card, which i associate with the equinox(es).

Kalioppee
March 6th, 2011, 08:53 PM
The "This really was about the Druids" thing is just something some Wiccans came up with, as some feel the need to be persecuted at all times, and will try to turn anything into some manner of persecution of themselves.

Perceval.. you are so right! The thing is - in many pagan books out there state this.. it may not be true as you have stated, but ask your neighborhood pagans, ya know the ones who are kinda electric, not oh.. yes pagan. The ones who have read enough to be dangerous. They take everything as the gospel, they don't get into researching very far, and the books have to be easy reads. It may not be what is right or what I believe but it is what is said. Sorry I digress, didn't mean to take this off topic.

Kalioppee
March 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM
http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=1ffcc26b32c2131a2761354d729289ad&w=90&h=90&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsnakeday.com%2Fsnake.gif (http://www.facebook.com/l/77522/%20http://www.facebook.com/l/8e4dc/www.snakeday.com/) http://www.facebook.com/l/8e4dc/www.SnakeDay.com - March 17th - celebrate the pagan in you! (http://www.facebook.com/l/77522NgAcw9ZrWTpz7AsxGOLD9Q/%20http://www.facebook.com/l/8e4dc/www.snakeday.com/) http://www.facebook.com/l/8e4dc/www.snakeday.com (http://www.facebook.com/l/77522TonrEmKNwOqU-wnlMhhR6w/%20http://www.facebook.com/l/8e4dc/www.snakeday.com/)Snake day is a day to celebrate being pagan - wear a snake today to celebrate that we were not all chased out!

No I am not part of this - but I think this says it all.