PDA

View Full Version : Can Real Pagans Wear Glittery Things (Faux Opal)

sari0009
February 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Or would you?

Faux Opal-Like Aphrodite blue!

Edit on Feb. 28th, 2009:

New Photos of the bead now that it's out of the mold and sanded. Next time I'll get her nipples even.

http://xb2.xanga.com/9638500635008235015040/z185582292.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3316386087_ab57d8a246.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3302873073_4540266094.jpg

You can't see it from a photo, but the light positively dances across the bead as it's moved.

This is a closeup of the back of an unfinished resin Goddess bead, it'll look much better once cured, out of the mold, polished, and presented face up...but that's not the point.

Would you be caught wearing it? Would you love it and do you appreciate faux gem effects? Or do you feel that adults, Pagans/Withces and/or practitioners of magic shouldn't sport manmade items that have glitter in them?

Glowingsun
February 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
It's just jewelry. I don't see why not. I wouldn't where any type of jewelry in heaps though, that would make even the most expensive jewelry look tacky.
But I have no prob's with fake jewelry. It's easy on the wallet.

Personally I don't care for that manmade goddess gem. Maybe it's because I'm only seeing it in a photo, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I prefer smaller more modest gems. Fake or real.

sari0009
February 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
It's just jewelry. I don't see why not. I wouldn't where any type of jewelry in heaps though, that would make even the most expensive jewelry look tacky.
But I have no prob's with fake jewelry. It's easy on the wallet.

Personally I don't care for that manmade goddess gem. Maybe it's because I'm only seeing it in a photo, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I prefer smaller more modest gems. Fake or real.

So a two inch Goddess gem is too much but much smaller Goddess gems on earrings might not be...something like that?

Darth Wychipu
February 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
a little bit of glitter is fun now and then.

skilly-nilly
February 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Would you be caught wearing it? Would you love it and do you appreciate faux gem effects? Or do you feel that adults, Pagans/Withces and/or practitioners of magic shouldn't sport manmade items that have glitter in them?

I really like glitter.

Not so much a fan of the 'Goddess bead' shape. No real reason, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I think the faux jade on your art page is fabulous, though.

My belief is that art, even religious art, is symbolic rather than actual. So, for example, I would be in awe of an ancient jade artwork because of its tie into history but I would own and love a museum reproduction because of the symbolic association, and I would put meaning into a piece I owned myself.

I think that humans put in and Spirits accept the 'meaning' of artwork so to me faux is perfectly acceptable.

Oh, and I really like glitter.

Ruby Heart
February 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Glitter is quite shimmering and resembles the night sky. It reflects the heart sometimes whether playful, happy, imaginative with looks or just liking glitter for the moment. I like glitter make-up now and then, and some of my hair accessories have glitter on them. If it was a piece of glittery jewellery such as a Celtic curl then yes I would buy it and wear it.

sari0009
February 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
a little bit of glitter is fun now and then.

I really like glitter.

Not so much a fan of the 'Goddess bead' shape. No real reason, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I think the faux jade on your art page is fabulous, though.

My belief is that art, even religious art, is symbolic rather than actual. So, for example, I would be in awe of an ancient jade artwork because of its tie into history but I would own and love a museum reproduction because of the symbolic association, and I would put meaning into a piece I owned myself.

I think that humans put in and Spirits accept the 'meaning' of artwork so to me faux is perfectly acceptable.

Oh, and I really like glitter.

Cool, because after reading so many anti McMagic or Paganism isn't about glittery stuff type of threads/articles, I was worried the anti glitter fundies may have pushed their memes ("viral" ideas/attitudes) toward near consensus.

Glad to see that's not true, and...Celtic spirals like this (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18222408) with opal gems in the middle?

sari0009
February 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Glitter is quite shimmering and resembles the night sky. It reflects the heart sometimes whether playful, happy, imaginative with looks or just liking glitter for the moment. I like glitter make-up now and then, and some of my hair accessories have glitter on them. If it was a piece of glittery jewellery such as a Celtic curl then yes I would buy it and wear it.

You're giving me ideas! ;)

Meadhbh
February 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'll be the first one to say it, I don't like glitter. But thats just me paganism or any other religion doesn't come into play there. But if some likes and they want to wear it I'm not going to stop them. I think jewerly should be more about personal tastes than what people ought to think you should wear.

sari0009
February 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
I'll be the first one to say it, I don't like glitter. But thats just me paganism or any other religion doesn't come into play there. But if some likes and they want to wear it I'm not going to stop them. I think jewerly should be more about personal tastes than what people ought to think you should wear.

Thanks. I'm looking for a variety of feedback and I'm sure getting it.

And yes, I think artists should make what they enjoy making and people should wear according to the dictates of their tastes...but as someone selling art, I have to balance that with knowledge of trends (making or following them) and what would sell to my target audience (I'm a member of the Pagan Etsy Street Team).

RavenStars
February 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm another glitter fan, but not for everyday wear. I do tend toward having my magic/ritual wear purified and/or charged while it's being made. This is why I make most of my own or buy specifically from pagan merchants.

As for resin... everything is holy! It is intention and will that shifts my awareness away from mundane. I have wands in acrylic and wooden dowels that pack powerful punches. I use crystals that have artificially cut points. I have a black glass "crystal" ball. Sorry, I just don't fit into the purist category.

BTW, it's so nice to see you have a etsy! I know it's been a goal of yours.

sari0009
February 25th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm another glitter fan, but not for everyday wear. I do tend toward having my magic/ritual wear purified and/or charged while it's being made. This is why I make most of my own or buy specifically from pagan merchants.

As for resin... everything is holy! It is intention and will that shifts my awareness away from mundane. I have wands in acrylic and wooden dowels that pack powerful punches. I use crystals that have artificially cut points. I have a black glass "crystal" ball. Sorry, I just don't fit into the purist category.

BTW, it's so nice to see you have a etsy! I know it's been a goal of yours.

I too think everything is Divine.

Yup. I've got an etsy. Can't spend much time with it except on the weekends or to mail something off, for the most part...not until I finish my current training and certification!

Willow Rosette
February 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Sari you know how I feel about your beads. Unfortunately the picture you posted doesnt do them much justice. It looks absolutly huge in the picture even though I know they are much smaller than that.

As for the question it depends on my mood. Sometimes Im in a dark mood and dont feel sparkely so I wouldnt wear them BUT there are also days when Im feeling bubbly and glittery and it would match my mood exactly. So yea for the right mood I would absolutly wear them!

sari0009
February 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Sari you know how I feel about your beads. Unfortunately the picture you posted doesnt do them much justice. It looks absolutly huge in the picture even though I know they are much smaller than that.

As for the question it depends on my mood. Sometimes Im in a dark mood and dont feel sparkely so I wouldnt wear them BUT there are also days when Im feeling bubbly and glittery and it would match my mood exactly. So yea for the right mood I would absolutly wear them!

Mmm, I suppose I could offer real size photos along with close ups, when appropriate. Sometimes people want to see closeups. Still getting the hang of presentation. :)

Yes, I do seem to get a log of feedback that this goes for that mood and that style will be limited to dressier events, etc. It'll be fun...it is fun creating for different styles and so on!

Willow Rosette
February 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Mmm, I suppose I could offer real size photos along with close ups, when appropriate. Sometimes people want to see closeups. Still getting the hang of presentation. :)

Yes, I do seem to get a log of feedback that this goes for that mood and that style will be limited to dressier events, etc. It'll be fun...it is fun creating for different styles and so on!

I think some people are seeing it as being HUGE like the size of your palm or something when in reality it is much smaller and delicate.

I think it is kinda funny how people have jewelry that is only for special occasions. I wouldnt wear it to work/school 1) because it is way to special and wouldnt want anything to happen to it 2) Because it would invoke THAT conversation that I dont think belongs in the work place and 3) I see it as being more ummm to be worn like for a festival or important ritual.

Having said that Im not a huge jewelry fan in general so I dont know that I am a good one to go off of LMAO

watersprite
February 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I like glitter and I like bling. I keep my bling items close to my skin, as I go to places in town that might lose it for me. It's not there to show off to anyone I don't want to see it.
I am not fond of that particular piece. I think the artist has more to say.

sari0009
February 25th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I think some people are seeing it as being HUGE like the size of your palm or something when in reality it is much smaller and delicate.

I think it is kinda funny how people have jewelry that is only for special occasions. I wouldnt wear it to work/school 1) because it is way to special and wouldnt want anything to happen to it 2) Because it would invoke THAT conversation that I dont think belongs in the work place and 3) I see it as being more ummm to be worn like for a festival or important ritual.

Having said that Im not a huge jewelry fan in general so I dont know that I am a good one to go off of LMAO

I think of jewelry as a small canvas or work of art that one can take with.

I suppose "hidden" symbols would be fine for some people who don't want to start "that" conversation.

Examples: starfish, slice of apple, moon and stars. celtic spirals, triskeles...

sari0009
February 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I like glitter and I like bling. I keep my bling items close to my skin, as I go to places in town that might lose it for me. It's not there to show off to anyone I don't want to see it.
I am not fond of that particular piece. I think the artist has more to say.

The artist is experimenting first. ;)

watersprite
February 25th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Good then. All artists experiment. And MANY artists need a way of displaying their work that shows their true beauty, size and color. .

SilverClaw
February 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Would you be caught wearing it? Would you love it and do you appreciate faux gem effects? Or do you feel that adults, Pagans/Withces and/or practitioners of magic shouldn't sport manmade items that have glitter in them?[/B] I would be caught wearing it and if other pagans, witches or other practitioners do not like it, ohwell that has no bearing on whether or not I would wear it :)

~*Trinity Aura*~
February 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Honestly, I don't see why pagans can't wear glittery things. If it attracts your eye, you like it, or think it's pretty, then rock it! My pentagram is a double pentagram and has 5 red Swarovski(supposedly) crystals in it. I consider that shiny, epecially since its made from sterling silver. So I say go for it! Long live creativity!!:bigredgri

SilverClaw
February 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Long live creativity!!:bigredgri Amen to that :D :thumbsup::lol:

sari0009
February 28th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Honestly, I don't see why pagans can't wear glittery things. If it attracts your eye, you like it, or think it's pretty, then rock it! My pentagram is a double pentagram and has 5 red Swarovski(supposedly) crystals in it. I consider that shiny, epecially since its made from sterling silver. So I say go for it! Long live creativity!!:bigredgri

Amen to that :D :thumbsup::lol:

Your pent sounds gorgeous. I love Swarovski crystals, especially the AB ones.

http://xb2.xanga.com/9638500635008235015040/z185582292.jpg

Added this and one other shot of her by a ruler to message one.

Long live creativity, indeed. I like that!

evergreen
February 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I freaking love glitter! The more shine, sparkle, and glitter the better. I'm like a moth attracted to the light.

Mostly, I just like looking at it though, I don't wear a lot.

sari0009
February 28th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I freaking love glitter! The more shine, sparkle, and glitter the better. I'm like a moth attracted to the light.

Mostly, I just like looking at it though, I don't wear a lot.

:uhhuhuh: