DoktorSick
April 14th, 2009, 01:27 AM
cool video !
i have watched it a few times before.
It's funny how now says hey cell theory is only a theory
and germ theory is only a theory.

Nuadu
April 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
In fairness theory is only theory. Science is not the pursuit of truth its the persuit of fact. Science will tell you what is probable but will not make statements that anything is 100% true.
A person may believe that a scientific theory true because it seems probable but their belief is not consistant with the realities of science or academic study. That belief can be overthrown this minute by the constant stream of scientific discovery.

You wont find any credible published authors that make claims about truth, only facts leading to probablity. Really that makes belief in a theory no more concrete then belief in a religion.

For example do I believe evolution happened yes, do I believe in a creationism no, but I dont discount that I am wrong. I certainly wouldnt place my faith so deeply in probability that I chase down other peoples faiths on the basis that they are placing their faith somewhere else. Both people are guilty of making a leap beyond the facts

gwendar
April 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Cool video.
Also, I love that cartoon in your avatar, Infinite Grey. Tooooo funny! :D

LadyeFalcon
April 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLeztJkhi4U

Thank You very good vid!

Silverfangs
July 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
In fairness theory is only theory. Science is not the pursuit of truth its the persuit of fact. Science will tell you what is probable but will not make statements that anything is 100% true.
A person may believe that a scientific theory true because it seems probable but their belief is not consistant with the realities of science or academic study. That belief can be overthrown this minute by the constant stream of scientific discovery.

You wont find any credible published authors that make claims about truth, only facts leading to probablity. Really that makes belief in a theory no more concrete then belief in a religion.

For example do I believe evolution happened yes, do I believe in a creationism no, but I dont discount that I am wrong. I certainly wouldnt place my faith so deeply in probability that I chase down other peoples faiths on the basis that they are placing their faith somewhere else. Both people are guilty of making a leap beyond the facts

Nuadu, I truly loved your explanation about Truth, Facts and Probability. Most of the people claim that science is arrogant about the Truth... but even Richard Dawkins, who sometimes is pretty hardcore when discussing faith and religion, admits that he considers (even that only 0,00001%) beeing wrong.

This paragraph is really good.:hahugh:

Vampiel
July 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Really that makes belief in a theory no more concrete then belief in a religion.

Your right believing in evolution is no more concrete than believing in the flying speghetti monster or the giant slug that spits outs stars.

Its all the same. Personally I feel that a turtle with a very large head spouts out water to make the ocean and a huge barney the dinasour farts a lot to make the clouds.

I will name this religion farkenharderburger, fortunately I dont have to argue this position because its how I feel I dont need to prove it to anyone but myself, this all of course, is the same as beleving in scientific theories. :uhhuhuh:

Silverfangs
July 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
This makes me think. Since there is no real certain of anything, don't you guys sometimes feel a little bit, I don't know, "lost"? I don't know if this is the correct term, but couldn't find a better one.

Vampiel
July 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM
This makes me think. Since there is no real certain of anything, don't you guys sometimes feel a little bit, I don't know, "lost"? I don't know if this is the correct term, but couldn't find a better one.

Not really mystery is what makes things interesting.

Silverfangs
July 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I guess you're right. The possibility of no one knowing the exact truth makes Life the mistery it is... better to start looking at things in that perspective. :)

Infinite Grey
July 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Wrong. A scientific theory is a coherent explanation(s) of natural phenomena based on the available facts and open to intense criticism, testing and examination. Sure a theory can be wrong, or occasionally wrong, or incomplete - but that is why we have the scientific method, because nothing is infallible.

Religions on the other hand rely on an individuals ability to except what is "revealed" to them - by another individual, a book or from their own mind and experiences. Religion relies on people "gut feelings" and that they "know" it is right or right for them.

Scientific Theories and the Scientific Method led to the modern lifestyle we so enjoy here in the West - clean water, abundant food all year round, computers, internet so on. Religion at best gives hope and some beautifully inspired contributions to the art disciplines.

For example do I believe evolution happened yes,

Evolution is a fact - organisms change over the generation. The explanation regarding around how organisms evolve are the Theories.

do I believe in a creationism no, but I dont discount that I am wrong. I certainly wouldnt place my faith so deeply in probability that I chase down other peoples faiths on the basis that they are placing their faith somewhere else. Both people are guilty of making a leap beyond the facts

Not at all. You can test and falsify a scientific theory - you can't do that with a religion. Sure a layman can put faith in a theory and the scientists - but they also have to option to see for themselves, to question, dissemble, examine and try to prove the theory wrong (and are encouraged to do so)... so fundamentally, the acceptance of a theory is not based on faith at all - indeed faith is not even allowed within the Scientific Method. The fact that scientists admit that they could be wrong shows a distinct lack of faith - acknowledging that the theories thrive on their merit alone. Religion thrives on people's faith that it is correct or even mostly correct. Two fundamentally different things here.