PDA

View Full Version : Lambing time and prep.

Shanti
April 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I thought it would be cool to log the prep and birthing of our ewe, Inara.
She is due anytime now. Her vulva and udder appears to be saying a little time is left, but I know the critters pop usually when you least expect!

Ok, Inara is getting anxious, pacing in her pen and talking to her lamb/s in her belly. She has a little udder starting.
Since the weather is still cold and the nights are in the 20's, I dont want a pasture born lambsicle.

So first thing is prep.

We cleaned out the old shed that used to be the hay storage but keeps getting used as a hospital instead! LOL
Goats where in there in winter. Then Sheepski was in there for her emergancy prolapse and lambing.
Now it all cleaned up for Inara.

My mate raked out all the used bedding, back down to the dirt floor.
I then laid down seven dust to kill any mites, lice, etc, that may be lurking. I let the chickens scratch that into the dirt so it was all mixed up.
I put down a coating of aspen shavings on top of that.
Then fresh hay bedding to top off the floor.
Dry, warm and all fresh.

We put Inara in the shelter and let her settle a short while.
In prep of birth I gave her Bcomplex and VitE injections to boost her and her lamb/s for the coming birth. I do this with all my livestock so the moms and babies have a better chance of not getting sick from stress.
I gave her probios so her rumin stays working well with the changes that are stressing her.

Left her with fresh water and fresh hay and a bowl of sheep pellet feed.

Tonight she can rest.
Tomorrow I will be shearing her belly, udder, butt and tail so she doesnt get all messy from the birthing and her lamb/s will be able to easily find teat.
I will take pics as I go.

I hope to get pics of the entire birthing process for you too.

Here is Inara all set up in her birthing shelter.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/livestock/015.jpg

Cindlady2
April 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
LOL... she is fully wooled and she loos like a dandelion ready to "puff off" :weirdsmil
Hope she has a safe and easy delivery!

watersprite
April 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
_handclapp:cheers::sheep::sheep::sheep::fpompoms:fpompoms:fpompoms:fpompoms:fpompomsWow! She has that look that all "ready" Moms get, does'nt she?
You are so good to your stock. Many are not. I am glad that they have a good Mom like you! A natural, I would say.
Are you still bottle feeding the lambs? Did I miss something? Most likely, it has been pretty busy around here.
May you and your Four-leggers and your mate have a good and healthy lambing season!

Shanti
April 8th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Ok I am finally here to post. Been busy as heck.
My 10 year old daughter is the picture taker.
My mate is the sheep holder. :)

Ok first I sheared Inaras butt with my shearmaster.
The tail I sheared part way then used scissors.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/shearing%20inara/007.jpg

Then we flipped Inara on her back so I could carefully get all around her udder. My mate is holding her head in his lap and restraining her with his arms across her upper body. He isnt in any pics.
On her back working over her is dangerous. Dont try this if your not experienced with your sheep!
I have been kicked and it can result in serious injury. I have been lucky and only have received gashes and bruises.:weirdsmil
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/shearing%20inara/001.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/shearing%20inara/002.jpg

Here you can see I am working on her inner leg and that hoof is right there. I am constantly prepared for a leg to fly up at me.
She is trimmed from udder to pooch.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/shearing%20inara/004.jpg

Then I apply destine diaper rash ointment to her pooch and the skin under the tail.. It helps keeps flies away and keep the urine off the skin when she pees. This is part of my flystrike prevention and prevention of any irritation from tail skin to pooch skin constant contact, like chafing.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/shearing%20inara/008.jpg

Then all is ready for when she births.
If she doesnt birth tonight, tomarrow she will be getting fully sheared as the weather is warming finally. :thumbsup:
I'll get pics on fully shearing an ornery PG ewe. :uhhuhuh:
Inara was very, very ornery and put up a lot of fussing.
She hates being handled, unlike her mom that was a cuddle bug.

Ready for birthing.:smile:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/ShantiVeritas/shearing%20inara/014.jpg

alwaysfallingup
April 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this picture journal, Shanti! I can't wait to see the baby(ies)! Do you use the diaper rash cream on the goats before they deliver, too, or just the sheep for shearing irritation?

I bet the waiting is hard! Pacing and twiddling thumbs!

Shanti
April 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this picture journal, Shanti! I can't wait to see the baby(ies)! Do you use the diaper rash cream on the goats before they deliver, too, or just the sheep for shearing irritation?

I bet the waiting is hard! Pacing and twiddling thumbs!The diaper rash cream is only for the long tailed sheep.
Between hair particles and my grabbing the tail and the sudden change from wooly and warm to exposed in the elements, I feel that a little zinc diaper rash cream would feel nice and keep the skin healthier. Plus I wouldn't want to put insecticide for fly strike on her when she is going to have a lamb nor would I want to put it directly on her pooch.
So all summer when I trim the tail, put insecticed on her wool, I put destine ointment on her pooch and surrounding area.

I figure it cant hurt and she seems to think it feels good. Its the one thing she stands still for. LOL

I dont know of anyone else that does this.
I also know of no one that has long tailed wool sheep. :weirdsmil

alwaysfallingup
April 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I imagine it would feel really good. I've had razor burn before. :weirdsmil

Shanti
April 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I put Inara back into her pen/pasture. I know she would rather have her lamb at her home.
The weather is better and looks ok. The coldest seems to be behind us now, thank the spirits.

I hope I catch her lambing to get pics but knowing her, if she is like mom, she will have it in the middle of the night! LOL

I'll keep an eye out for those imminent birthing signs that often fools us. ;)

Shanti
April 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Missed the birth! She had the lamb during the wee hours of the morning.

I will get pics up in a while.

Inara had a ram lamb that looks exactly like her!

The lamb is healthy and beautiful. Inara is fine and you would never know she had a baby. Everything is all clean in the pasture and our shearing and prep seemed to work well as Inaras backside isnt all messy. :)

alwaysfallingup
April 11th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad everything went so well!:boing:

Shanti
April 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad everything went so well!:boing:Thank you but not exactly. The last thing we needed was 3 ram lambs. One is all that needed or wanted for breeding. The rest can not stay. 2 rams and one ewe make for a lot of battles.

2 will be banded.
The white bottle baby will be banded and put with Inara when fall comes so she isn't alone through winter and being a bottle baby he will be tame so he will be the leader for her. Inara is not tame.
Next spring if she drops a ewe lamb then the white ram will be only useful for the pot.
Inaras ram lamb will be banded and for the freezer this fall. Inara is already teaching him to stay away for humans so he wont be easy to handle thus he goes first.

Mir will be kept for breeding.

I was hoping Inara would have a ewe lamb so we could keep her so Inara isnt alone plus we could breed her for future dinners.
But we got another ram. :(

Next month is goat kidding season. Last year we got all bucklings except for 2. I hope this year the goats drop doe's. Bucklings around here you cant give away!

A couple of my goats look like they have multiples.

The good thing is no matter what they drop they have some value as all but one was bred to an Angora buck. :)
I'll have Pygora ( pygmy/ angora cross) and,
Boegoras. ( boer/angora cross.)

On another note my mates work schedule is cut up. He managed to be skipped for all the layoffs his company just did but the company is still having planned plant shut downs one week out of every month thru Sept. So that just cut into our pay checks.
We will be losing 200 per month in income with unemployment for that one week a month.
My mates shift and hours have been changed too.
We are happy though because unlike some of his co-workers, he still has a job even if the hours and days are cut back.

As a result after this kidding season, we are selling all our Boer and Pygmy goats and Jasper our wonderful milking ND.

All we are keeping is 3 sheep and 5 goats, all dual fiber animals.

We have to cut back so we dont run into the prob of not being to afford feed this summer. My mates first shut down week is the last week of April. So as kids are born we will be selling out.

watersprite
April 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Sometimes a girl needs a little privacy. Congratulations!

alwaysfallingup
April 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
It's a shame that things worked out this way, but at least you are doing the responsible thing and knowing your limits. It seems like every time I listen to the news, I'm hearing about how bad this economy has been for animals and it's such a shame.

I'm glad that your mate was able to keep his job, even if the hours are reduced. Preston has taken a pay cut and that's one reason I'm so determined to make sure we're taken care of in the event of the worst. I hate so much the idea that most of us in this country are so totally at the mercy of every ill wind that blows. I want to know that, if something absolutely horrible happened and our power, water, and food supply was shut off, we'd be okay.

I wish I was closer to you. I would totally buy Jasper in a heartbeat. She sounds like such a sweetie.

The good thing about breeding your own animals, at least, is that when things start looking up, you have the ability to increase your flock to whatever number is comfortable for you, given some time. Are you keeping your rabbits going, or will they be finding new homes as well?

Thank you but not exactly. The last thing we needed was 3 ram lambs. One is all that needed or wanted for breeding. The rest can not stay. 2 rams and one ewe make for a lot of battles.

2 will be banded.
The white bottle baby will be banded and put with Inara when fall comes so she isn't alone through winter and being a bottle baby he will be tame so he will be the leader for her. Inara is not tame.
Next spring if she drops a ewe lamb then the white ram will be only useful for the pot.
Inaras ram lamb will be banded and for the freezer this fall. Inara is already teaching him to stay away for humans so he wont be easy to handle thus he goes first.

Mir will be kept for breeding.

I was hoping Inara would have a ewe lamb so we could keep her so Inara isnt alone plus we could breed her for future dinners.
But we got another ram. :(

Next month is goat kidding season. Last year we got all bucklings except for 2. I hope this year the goats drop doe's. Bucklings around here you cant give away!

A couple of my goats look like they have multiples.

The good thing is no matter what they drop they have some value as all but one was bred to an Angora buck. :)
I'll have Pygora ( pygmy/ angora cross) and,
Boegoras. ( boer/angora cross.)

On another note my mates work schedule is cut up. He managed to be skipped for all the layoffs his company just did but the company is still having planned plant shut downs one week out of every month thru Sept. So that just cut into our pay checks.
We will be losing 200 per month in income with unemployment for that one week a month.
My mates shift and hours have been changed too.
We are happy though because unlike some of his co-workers, he still has a job even if the hours and days are cut back.

As a result after this kidding season, we are selling all our Boer and Pygmy goats and Jasper our wonderful milking ND.

All we are keeping is 3 sheep and 5 goats, all dual fiber animals.

We have to cut back so we dont run into the prob of not being to afford feed this summer. My mates first shut down week is the last week of April. So as kids are born we will be selling out.

Shanti
April 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
It's a shame that things worked out this way, but at least you are doing the responsible thing and knowing your limits. It seems like every time I listen to the news, I'm hearing about how bad this economy has been for animals and it's such a shame.

I'm glad that your mate was able to keep his job, even if the hours are reduced. Preston has taken a pay cut and that's one reason I'm so determined to make sure we're taken care of in the event of the worst. I hate so much the idea that most of us in this country are so totally at the mercy of every ill wind that blows. I want to know that, if something absolutely horrible happened and our power, water, and food supply was shut off, we'd be okay.

I wish I was closer to you. I would totally buy Jasper in a heartbeat. She sounds like such a sweetie.

The good thing about breeding your own animals, at least, is that when things start looking up, you have the ability to increase your flock to whatever number is comfortable for you, given some time. Are you keeping your rabbits going, or will they be finding new homes as well?Rabbits stay. They are free to feed in summer. One bag of grass/weed clippings from the lawn mower is a days food. :) Wish the goats and sheep ate that little.
Plus we cant breed rabbits fast enough, they are also dog food. With 5 dogs, I wouldn't be able to afford them if I wasn't feeding them raw whole rabbit and chicken carcasses.

Chickens are practically free to feed in summer too, free ranging them. :)
For winter I just keep the prime breeders of rabbits and chickens for next summer. I am breeding only spring through fall to feed us and the dogs and to stock up both freezers (one freezer for dogs, one for humans) for the winter.
Right now all but 2 rabbits is pg and I have eggs in the incubator and chicks in the brooder.

So its just the bigger livestock we need to bring numbers down. But like you said, we can increase when times get better and meanwhile we always have rabbit and chicken going or in the freezer.

If we had enough land and the equipment to bale hay we could keep all the goats and sheep but we dont.
We buy right now 2,400 pounds (2 large rounds) of hay per month. We want to cut that to 1,200 pounds. That way we will be cutting expenses in half and that will make up for some of the lost income.

Cindlady2
April 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Sucks you have to cut back so much! And the $hitty part is allot of people are in the same boat so you may not get much for them to boot. I sure hope you can find a nice place for Jasper even if you have to give her away. Sure wish we had found a house. :(

materra
May 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Well damn. I should visit more to keep up. Warm hugs to you all.