PDA

View Full Version : Bible Discussion Poll

Bix
April 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Choose which book of the Bible you'd like to study first.

Cunae
April 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I had some others in mind but I guess the Gospels would be ok.

monsnoleedra
April 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Just sort of curious but which bible translation and which verision would you be utilizing as the source document to discuss?

My gut tells me the King James Version. Since it is the most publicized, especially in the US.

Agaliha
April 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Just sort of curious but which bible translation and which verision would you be utilizing as the source document to discuss? My gut tells me the King James Version. Since it is the most publicized, especially in the US.

Any translation that you have or like, I'd imagine.

I don't like KJV, so I'm not going to use that one. I'll probably use of of the translations I own-- Revised Standard Version and/or New English Version w/Apocrypha.

I'm sure phrases and words might differ slightly and possibly verse numbering, but I think we can manage. Right?

Perhaps just post which translation you're using when you discuss that way it's known? There are places online too, like UnboundBible (http://unbound.biola.edu/) that have all translations online...so that could be used if one wants to check versions other members are using. Just an idea :)

Also, see this thread for our previous discussion about this idea of bible reading: Online Bible Classes? (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=212112) ;)

Mystic Christian-- as an Admin I can edit the poll to add something, what is missing?
Or we could wait for the next time... :)

LostSheep
April 8th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Just sort of curious but which bible translation and which verision would you be utilizing as the source document to discuss?

My gut tells me the King James Version. Since it is the most publicized, especially in the US.

I think it's beautiful as a piece of literature. The more modern versions sound to me like one of these attempts to make Shakespeare "relevant" to a modern audience. I think they take away a lot of the poetry of it. But yes, it is a point worth considering, I think, since there can be alot of differences in nuance and interpretation between different versions.

Glowingsun
April 8th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I never realized there was sooo many bibles!!!!!:ugh:
The only bible I read the most (which was only about 40% of) was the Good News Bible.
I'm serious it's a bible.

LostSheep
April 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I do like the GNB. It has some cute pictures, and there was a version we had at school with some interesting historical timelines and maps and things in the back, so you could put the events in some historical context. But yes, the basic content I think has been pretty much standardised since the KJV came out, so any version would have basically the same text, just the language would be modernised in some.

Bix
April 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
The Bible I use (which I kinda bought on a whim) is my NIV Study Bible. I've made notes in it so it's pretty personal to me. That's the one I'll use.

Glowingsun
April 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Wow. Pagans discuss the bibles so much more differently than the christians.
They argue and debate about the stories and events that may have taken place.
We just say which ones we've read and have.

Bix
April 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Wow. Pagans discuss the bibles so much more differently than the christians.
They argue and debate about the stories and events that may have taken place.
We just say which ones we've read and have.

We really haven't started the Bible discussion so I'm sure the debate will start up once we start. :) Also, I'm Christian, not pagan, as are a couple of others in this thread. I've heard Christians discuss various translations of the Bible as well...so it's not just pagans.

Cunae
April 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I think it's great to use different versions of the Bible. That way we get a fuller flavor of what's being said. I wouldn't want all of us using the same version, in fact!

I cut my teeth on KJV and stayed with it for years. Then used NIV and now the Contempory English Version... I like the latter because I want easy English first, NIV second, and KJV third. I use all three when I do a study.

My suggestions for the poll were Hebrews, Isaiah, 1 & 2 Peter or the Gospel of Mary. But we can wait til next time!

Darth Brooks
April 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I'd like to learn more about Psalms. I enjoy reading what people have to say to their deities more than reading the stories about those deities. Gives a good idea of what it really means to be worshipful, and the attitudes in Psalms do not seem all that dissimilar from my own.

MoonBreath
April 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
i'd be really interested in learning more about the gnostic gospels. I've been looking at the Gospel of Mary on amazon.com, and i'm thinking about buying it. Some of the things said so far have resonated well with me :smile:

Bix
April 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Bumping this...I'll leave this up a week more then maybe we can try and start the discussion?

Cunae
April 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Bumping this...I'll leave this up a week more then maybe we can try and start the discussion?

Sounds good! I am surprised to see Genesis ahead, but that should be an interesting book!

When we are ready to go, let's be sure we do a mission statement (uh, a better word for it?) welcoming everyone (pagans, atheists, whomever) to the study with some ground rules about mocking God, the material, or those examining it. I do think that's necessary, believe it or not... there are a few very immature people around here.

Cunae
April 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Thumbing thru Genesis tonight. I think it will be a good book for our purpose, and I'm looking forward to getting started. What's our next step?

Agaliha
April 14th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Genesis has 50 Chapters, right?

If that is the book we're going to read, we should figure out if we want to read at our own pace or on a sort of schedule, like 10 chapters a week or something like that. Though that'd take 5 weeks to read...but it is a larger text with tons of things happening with it, so that might be okay.

Also, do we want a group focus when we read/discuss? Topical, character, or some other type of study? Or do we just post what comes to mind when we read it, our thoughts, questions and all of that?

Agaliha
April 14th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Hm. Looks like someone, not sure who, voted for Psalms. So Genesis and Psalms are tied. Six more days until the poll is closed, so we'll have to see!

Bix
April 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Genesis has 50 Chapters, right?

If that is the book we're going to read, we should figure out if we want to read at our own pace or on a sort of schedule, like 10 chapters a week or something like that. Though that'd take 5 weeks to read...but it is a larger text with tons of things happening with it, so that might be okay.

Also, do we want a group focus when we read/discuss? Topical, character, or some other type of study? Or do we just post what comes to mind when we read it, our thoughts, questions and all of that?

I was thinking we could split it up like you said and just devote a couple of days to a week to read the chapters. Then we just have a kinda open ended discussion from it where each person shares their thoughts/concerns/questions about the passage. If a topic or character is given greater emphasis, we can go off and discuss them.

I kinda view this as a very laid back, coffee-house style discussion among everyone. Nothing formal.

I also posted an announcement about this, so we'll see who else trickles in here.

LacyRoze
April 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM
This sounds great so count me in!!

PrincessKLS
April 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I always liked Psalms.

Cunae
April 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I was thinking we could split it up like you said and just devote a couple of days to a week to read the chapters. Then we just have a kinda open ended discussion from it where each person shares their thoughts/concerns/questions about the passage. If a topic or character is given greater emphasis, we can go off and discuss them.

I kinda view this as a very laid back, coffee-house style discussion among everyone. Nothing formal.

I also posted an announcement about this, so we'll see who else trickles in here.

I like the laid-back idea. Let's keep it fun! Just read and go with comes to mind. What occurs to one of us might be something that never occurred to the rest of us!

Bix
April 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm leaving this up for four more days. Seems like Psalms is in the lead.

Bix
April 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Seems like Psalms won! Give me a few days and I'll start up the discussion. Thanks for everyone that voted!

Agaliha
April 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yay. I actually really like Psalms.
I have some links I could add too, for info about them and sites of interest. I'll wait till the main thread is up, though.

Bix
April 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Quick question for everyone following this. I was just thinking about splitting the Psalms up (say read Psalms 1-5 one week, 6-10 next week, and so on) then just discuss them and see where it goes from there. If people want to chime in with thoughts, resources, feelings, etc., they can. I want to give a week for each discussion.

Should we make a new thread for each discussion so that one thread doesn't get cluttered?

Agaliha
April 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Quick question for everyone following this. I was just thinking about splitting the Psalms up (say read Psalms 1-5 one week, 6-10 next week, and so on) then just discuss them and see where it goes from there. If people want to chime in with thoughts, resources, feelings, etc., they can. I want to give a week for each discussion.

Should we make a new thread for each discussion so that one thread doesn't get cluttered?

Well there are 150 psalms, so that'd take a long time.
If we did it 10 a week, it'd be 15 weeks (nearly 4 months). But even that seems like a long time...
Hm. I'm not totally sure! Was the plan to read them all or just which ever people wanted out of the grouping?

I think a new thread for each section would be a good idea.

You know, I can make a sub-forum here in Abrahmanic Paths for sacred text exploration, where things like this could be posted. Yea? Nay?

Bix
April 21st, 2009, 09:35 PM
You know, I can make a sub-forum here in Abrahmanic Paths for sacred text exploration, where things like this could be posted. Yea? Nay?

I think that would be an awesome idea. Maybe we could assign like...20 Psalms and discuss the one that meant the most to you?

faye_cat
April 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
I think that would be an awesome idea. Maybe we could assign like...20 Psalms and discuss the one that meant the most to you?
That sounds awesome.

Agaliha
April 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM

And done, see: Sacred Text Exploration (http://mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=711)