PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy the new DSi?

RaptorGTA
April 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I have...i love it. Been playing GTA chinatown wars and that Warioware game. The screen is nice...and surfin online is awesome (was on here last night with it) and th camera is hilarious. Me and my friends had more fun with the recorder tho...record random covos and changin pitch or reversin them...yeeea...its the little things that make us smile. lol

anyone else gonna be getting one? Ill post a review on here later today or tomarrow on the system itself if anyone is interested.

Nox_Mortus
April 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I want this one or the older model that can play GBA games, IMO they should not have removed that feature.

SilverClaw
April 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I am considering getting one down the road, look forward to your review RaptorGTA.

I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I want this one or the older model that can play GBA games, IMO they should not have removed that feature.ah they removed it ? Ah well that may change things for me then lol.

Laisrean
April 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I want this one or the older model that can play GBA games, IMO they should not have removed that feature.

They replaced that with a "virtual console" sort of feature, so I guess you'll be able to download the old GBA library onto it at some point.

But if you absolutely do need GBA functionality I would recommend just getting a GBA. They should be dirt cheap now.

Nox_Mortus
April 11th, 2009, 01:24 AM
But if you absolutely do need GBA functionality I would recommend just getting a GBA. They should be dirt cheap now.

They aren't expensive, but it's really hard to find a working one that has a screen which hasn't been scratched to hell.

Terra Mater
April 11th, 2009, 02:47 PM
My son has the DS and I am thinking of getting him the DSi for his birthday in September. I will definately check out your review RaptorGTA.

RaptorGTA
April 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, so sorry about the delay. Makin sure the hype of the DSI wouldn’t effect the review…plus ive busy and ive rewritten this review about 5 times…some are longer and more detailed..and some wernt detailed enough..so here we go..

As we all know the DS is a money makin machine for Ninty so an upgrade was in order…I guess? The question for all is whether this was a just upgrade or not.

Style/feel: The DSI is alittle larger then the orignal DS lite. Thought its also slimmer. The screen is alittle larger and most would say its not noticeable…if you play your DS and then try the DSI…youll notice the difference. Also I want to add..because of the change in screen size…some games will look alittle more jagged or rough..its not to noticable..but it does exsist. L and R bumper are elevated alittle rather then being flush with the corners of the system…I like it.

New feature:

The Camera: The camera is a surprise. I didn’t expect a good camera but its not bad. It wont be replacing your 5.1 (or more) megapixel camera…but for kids its nice. The software that allows you to alter pictures can give hours or enjoyment..and help take a few minutes off a boring day. Upcoming games (both DSIWare and DSI games)will use the camera for game play. Id like to add that photo’s can be give a high ranking..what these does is when your at the menu of the DSI the photo your rank with a star will appear on the top of your screen..sorta like a wallpaper…if you have more picture with the star ranking then everytime the system is restart or turned on the picture will change…kind of a nice personal touch…however…you CANT NOT add picture from your SD card to the DSI..it will not show em…

Audio: A new feature is the ability to record audio for 10 sec and alter it. The preset filters are fun. So once again…this can provide a good on entertainment. Once again..something to pass the time. The quality of the recording are pretty good as well…its ashame you can only record for 10 seconds…The other great feature is the DSI’s ability to play mp3..er….no….mp4’s…or AAC. Though this is great..being able to listen to music on your DSI its an utter pain. Unless your music is already converted to these type..youll have to download Itunes or some other software to convert your music over if you want to listen to music on your DSI. Getting past all that. The preset for the musid is quite impressive. The coolest is the instrument only button..which removes the vocals from the song. (ok..so what it does is remove the frequency where the average vocals are…you can still hear vocal is some track…just depends on how well the song was recorded)

Web browser: Free to download you can get online with your DSI. This is awesome. Though you wont be watching youtube vids..you can check your email, myspace and MW forum. I think it’s a nice feature..and loading for most web pages is ok. About the same speed of the PSP (or slower).

DSIWare: This is a good reason to own the DSI…this is also where Ninty will be makin some big money off of. From 200 point ($2.00) to 800 points ($8.00) or more you can download games for your DSI. Currently there isn’t a lot to chose from..but just like Wiiware it start small and grew fast. If you pick up a DSI youll get 1000 point free on your system as a thank you from Nintendo. I don’t know know how long this promo will last…but its pretty sweet. Theres a lot of promise on this channel…do a quite look on yourtube youll see what I mean..like the flipbook game..i want!! This is also where we expect to see the GB and GBA library return.

OVERALL:
Im happy with the DSI. Its kinda now like the Iphone with a bunch of apps that help take away from boring moments from your day. For a person who hasn’t owned a DS this would be a great time to buy. For someone who owns a DS lite its depends. I took my Dslite to Gamestop and received 70 buck toward my DSI…combine that with some of the games I took back..i only paid 7 bucks for it. Speaking of old game…Guitar Hero for the DS will not work for the DSI because of the GBA slot…developers are trying to work around this. Either way, I and my friends have enjoyed the new system. If you travel around or play outside your house then DSI is a good investment. The DSIware and the upcoming games are more then enough reason to have this system.

Notes:

Terra Mater how old is your son and how well does he take care of this toys? The new dsi seems to be alittle more weaker then older ones. If he takes care of this ds then he would probably like this new one…the camera and recorder would give him days of fun.

Anymore question or comments I will answer. I hope i covered enough in here…im terrible at grammer..spelling..soo yea…hope everyone could understand me..lol

Laisrean
April 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I would have felt better about the upgrade if it included an analog stick sort of thing, because that is one thing I feel the DS was always lacking, and the touch screen doesn't really make a good substitute for it in some instances.

Nevertheless, this DS features beefed up technical specs, so I believe we may soon start seeing games that look more polished and less jagged.

RaptorGTA
April 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Well..its sorta better then then then PSP...i get better control on Moon for the DS then SOCOM with a lock on button on the psp. The new handhelds need dul analog...though there size may not make them an handheld..

im typing this on my wii...my pc's been busy rendering video prjects..so i uing the wii and DSI to check on here..lol

Whispering Woods
April 16th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I've been toying with getting a DS for quite some time, now they've come out with the DSi...I'm still thinking about it, but I really can't justify it as I'm not certain how much use it will see.

I am a bit disappointed that none of the hand-helds have a "stick" of any sorts.

I know it's easier said than done, but I was wondering anyways, how hard would it be to design one with a stick.

Have a threaded socket (metal) with a threaded stick (with the shaft being metal) that maybe measured 1-1.5" tall. The stick would be removable allowing for closure of said hand-held, or carrying in a case. They could even sell replacement sticks in 2 packs for folks who loose those types of things easily....If the sticks were made of Aluminum, they could even be anodized to allow for a ton of various colors.

To take the idea even further...You could have both ends of the joystick attachment threaded to allow for limited customization with quick change "knobs" (Sold separately of course!) since everything nowadays seems to be about customization....Hmmmmmm now where is that Nintendo email address, I may need to send this to them.

RaptorGTA
April 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
there was a handheld back in the 90's that had a removable stick....dont recall it...my friend had it tho (he had any and all toys) the main thign was he dropped it and the stick snapped..it was a pain to get that little piece out. The PSP does have that little...um...disc thing..which is like a stick...its ok...if it had two..then it would be alright.

The handheld category is also a tough line. I sorta think the handheld should be something i can take somewhere..play alittle to not be bored..then put it away...i dont think of it as a system where im always buying games..and always playing games. There are game that you can play for hours...but with the DSIware..theres alot you can play with for sometime just to not be bored..which i like..but thats just me.