PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report

alwaysfallingup
April 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Sorry, I was really lazy and copied this from my blog. *sheepish grin*

Well, there's lot of good news around the farm. First, an announcement...WE HAVE A BUCK! (No, I'm not talking about money. I mean, we have a buck. Actually, we have a couple. But I'm talking goats here.) He's a handsome fellow and he seems to be getting along well with the ladies. Here he is:

http://ryewolffarm.terapad.com/resources/25365/assets/images/_thumbnails/IMG00095_thumb.jpghttp://ryewolffarm.terapad.com/resources/25365/assets/images/_thumbnails/IMG00100_thumb.jpg
We're debating names, since he came with the stunningly unoriginal monniker of Billy. Here are the suggestions thus far:

Mr. Tumnus
Puck
Pan
White Kong
Goaty Weaver (a play on our friend Cody's name)
The Ruminator
Cornelius Buckminster

Feel free to make suggestions or to vote in the comments for your favorite!
Also, today I finished tearing down the sides of the barn. There's still a lot of clean-up to do, but I feel good having the first phase done. It was a lot of work, and me and my crowbar are glad to have that part over. Next my dad is coming over with the tractor and will be hooking on to the supports and pulling down the roof to the west and north wings. Here are some pictures of where we're at right now with that:

http://ryewolffarm.terapad.com/resources/25365/assets/images/_thumbnails/IMG00116_thumb.jpg http://ryewolffarm.terapad.com/resources/25365/assets/images/_thumbnails/IMG00105_thumb.jpg

And, finally, a picture of Carlito Sanchez, hard at work helping me tear down the barn:

http://ryewolffarm.terapad.com/resources/25365/assets/images/_thumbnails/IMG00104_thumb.jpg

banondraig
April 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
If you name him Cornelius Buckminster, then the barn can be Buckminster Palace! :toofless:

Shanti
April 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Congrats!!! I like Cornelius Buckminster too!!!:toofless:
Buckminster Palace!:thumbsup:

He's pretty.

Are you then going for fall kids?

I never did fall kids. A farmer we know does and likes fall kids the most. I dont know why. He did say he likes ending the year with little ones running around. :) He has a barn too.

I like May kids so they wean on pasture...its cheaper. :weirdsmil
Plus I dont have a barn. :(

alwaysfallingup
April 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, we're going to have fall kids this go-round, and then we're probably going to split our breedings and alternate so that we have one goat in milk year-round after this. That's the plan anyway. By fall the barn should be completely finished and will be snug, warm, and cozy for the little ones to get a good start in, even if we have an early cold snap.

I'll let Preston know Cornelius Buckminster is winning on MW.:thumbsup:

Shanti
April 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, we're going to have fall kids this go-round, and then we're probably going to split our breedings and alternate so that we have one goat in milk year-round after this. That's the plan anyway. By fall the barn should be completely finished and will be snug, warm, and cozy for the little ones to get a good start in, even if we have an early cold snap.

I'll let Preston know Cornelius Buckminster is winning on MW.:thumbsup:
I like the rotation idea to stay in milk all year!!
I dont milk regularly though. I cant see doing that outside in -20 degree weather! EEK! LOL

What kind of goats are they? ND?

Cindlady2
April 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM
My uncle tried (I think) for March and October kids. I know they milked year round. He had an area in the barn that was "semi-heated" for moms and kids but it still got colder than I wanted to go milk at!

Sooo....Cornelius Buckminster! Corney for short?

HetHert
April 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I have to go with Cornelius Buckminster as well. :thumbsup:

I LOL'd at Buckminster Palace. Too perfect!

Congrats on the new buck!!!

alwaysfallingup
April 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I like the rotation idea to stay in milk all year!!
I dont milk regularly though. I cant see doing that outside in -20 degree weather! EEK! LOL

What kind of goats are they? ND?

We're going to be running power to the barn (technically, it already has power, but I don't trust the wiring, so I think we're just going to start over), so if it gets too bad, I'll be plugging in a heater, I guess. But, we're in the VERY bottom of Illinois and only a few minutes from Kentucky, so we're actually quite a bit warmer than most of the state is. So, I don't think I've ever seen temps of -20!

They are Nigerian Dwarfs. I love them! I was so happy to find a buck, because after we got our does I looked ALL OVER to find a buck in our area to breed to and came up empty-handed. I finally saw this Craig's list entry, and the guy was selling the buck because he had bought him at an animal show upstate, and hadn't been able to find any does down here, so was going into breeding the fainting goats and just wanted to find a good home for the buck. It worked out perfectly, and I told him if he ever wanted to get back into the NDs, I would be happy to return the favor for the amazing price he gave us.

alwaysfallingup
April 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My uncle tried (I think) for March and October kids. I know they milked year round. He had an area in the barn that was "semi-heated" for moms and kids but it still got colder than I wanted to go milk at!

Sooo....Cornelius Buckminster! Corney for short?

I think we're going to try for a similar schedule. We're going to see how much milk we get from this kind of arrangement, and then maybe increase the herd to meet our needs. I know it's months off, but I'm already excited about babies!

alwaysfallingup
April 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have to go with Cornelius Buckminster as well. :thumbsup:

I LOL'd at Buckminster Palace. Too perfect!

Congrats on the new buck!!!

I'm already thinking about painting a fancy sign for when the barn is done. "Buckminster Palace" all in gilded letters. :toofless:

Thank you! We're really so excited. It feels like a real farm now with the anticipation of little ones!

Shanti
April 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
ND is what our Jasper is. She is the only goat we milk so we have some in the freezer for orphans and such. It was her frozen colostrum and milk that helped save the orphan lambs! :)

Do you have a stanchion to make milking easier?
My mate built me one special for the short ND.
He made it so I could sit and milk her with the height most comfortable for me.

If you want I can take a bunch of pics so you can see how it was made in case you want to make your own.

My mate said it was easy to build and he made it out of scrap wood so it was free too! :)
Its study and strong. I love it.
I use it to for hoof trimming too on some of the more cranky goats that dont like to co-operate.

alwaysfallingup
April 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I would love to look at some pictures of your set-up! I've looked at some plans online, but they were diagram-type and I think I'd get a better idea from photos. I am also wondering if it's necessary to buy a "real" milking pail. The ones I've looked at online were so expensive. Is there any reason I can't just milk into any container that can be adequately cleaned and sanitized?

ND is what our Jasper is. She is the only goat we milk so we have some in the freezer for orphans and such. It was her frozen colostrum and milk that helped save the orphan lambs! :)

Do you have a stanchion to make milking easier?
My mate built me one special for the short ND.
He made it so I could sit and milk her with the height most comfortable for me.

If you want I can take a bunch of pics so you can see how it was made in case you want to make your own.

My mate said it was easy to build and he made it out of scrap wood so it was free too! :)
Its study and strong. I love it.
I use it to for hoof trimming too on some of the more cranky goats that dont like to co-operate.

Shanti
April 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'll get you pics this afternoon.

I used a large 4 cup measuring cup to milk into!! It was easier with the handle on it for when Jasper would move a leg and I had to quick move the container! :toofless:
For a bigger container...a regular cooking pot! :smile:

For straining out any dirt that happens to fall in the milk, I used cheese cloth I bought at the grocery store. I reused it by washing it out by hand and drying it on a little sink rack in the kitchen.

If you pasteurize, I do recommend a double boiler so you don't scald the milk. I pasteurized a few times for feeding the milk to a few baby bunnies my friend brought over that were sick and immune systems were stressed.

A lot of things can be done without having to buy specific items that cost an arm and a leg.

Shanti
April 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Can I get the pics for you on Sunday?
The stanchion is buried in storage and I cant get it out by myself.
I tried but with my disability, I couldnt handle the weight of the stuff around it.
My mate works weekends and isnt here to help but he is home this Sunday. He can pull it out for me then.

alwaysfallingup
April 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Of course! Get to it whenever is easiest and most convenient for you. I just really appreciate that you're willing to do it for me. No rush by any means!

I figured something like Pyrex would be good to milk into...no seams for milk to get caught in and easily sanitized. But some part of my brain still said, "They probably sell them for a reason." So, it's good to know it's an expense I can do without!

Shanti
April 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I didn't get the pics yet. My mate spent all of Sunday helping his parents. So he didn't get back home till toward evening then we had company pop over.

Its raining today and tomorrow. I will see if my mate has free time for me Wednesday to bring it out. Its suppose to be warm and sunny then. I would like to get some pics of Jasper on it since she is a ND.

alwaysfallingup
April 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I didn't get the pics yet. My mate spent all of Sunday helping his parents. So he didn't get back home till toward evening then we had company pop over.

Its raining today and tomorrow. I will see if my mate has free time for me Wednesday to bring it out. Its suppose to be warm and sunny then. I would like to get some pics of Jasper on it since she is a ND.

No worries! My goats won't be in milk for months, so I've got all the time in the world. ;) Of course, I'd love to see a pic of Jasper on there! I hear so many good things about her! :smile:

Shanti
April 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
No worries! My goats won't be in milk for months, so I've got all the time in the world. ;) Of course, I'd love to see a pic of Jasper on there! I hear so many good things about her! :smile:Good thing too. My good PC broke and is in the shop, still under the extended warranty, thank the spirits.
So I am using the old back up hunk of useless junk that's nothing but a big browser and email box. I can get pics on this one or anything so I am stuck with not much till I get my good pc back.
But I got the stanchion outside now!!:smile: