PDA

View Full Version : Resin casting?

halfwaynowhere
April 12th, 2009, 12:43 PM
has anyone done resin casting?

One of my little tarantulas died. It was my first tarantula, and still pretty small (about an inch and a half). I'd like to cast it in resin, and make a pendant out of it.

I've read a bit about resin casting, my main concerns are preserving the colors of the spider, and making the piece into a pendant. what are my options as far as making it so that I can put it on a cord? Is there a way to cast it so that there is a hole in it? or do I drill a hole afterwards? Any ideas?

sari0009
April 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
has anyone done resin casting?

One of my little tarantulas died. It was my first tarantula, and still pretty small (about an inch and a half). I'd like to cast it in resin, and make a pendant out of it.

I've read a bit about resin casting, my main concerns are preserving the colors of the spider, and making the piece into a pendant. what are my options as far as making it so that I can put it on a cord? Is there a way to cast it so that there is a hole in it? or do I drill a hole afterwards? Any ideas?

Beware. Trying to cast resin in just any old plastic or other mold/cap/whatever, can be problematic. You may have trouble extracting your bead (!) and most plastics may melt during the cure.

You may want to find a mold made specifically for casting resin that would be wide and deep enough(most aren't).

You can drill the bead hole after the resin cures in a commercial bead mold (depending on what they're made of, some icecube trays may work but use a mold release).

You may drill the bead hole after your resin bead cures in a bead mold you created (probably out of a two part silicone mold compound).

You may design your own bead mold for your beloved spider in which the bead hole is part of your mold design (much more work and not less expensive either).