PDA

View Full Version : It;s really me! - Newbie with Q's

SylverMoon
April 15th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I have just discovered pantheism, and the more I read, the more I feel a resounding YES!

So many other things I have looked into and read about and they just didn't feel like a perfect fit. It led me to think that maybe it was me, that I needed to change.

But now I have discovered pantheism!!

I have a few questions about what to do now though, do you have any suggestions for daily practice? I'm into meditation, and love the buddhist formless meditation and mindfulness.

Just laying on my trampoline and looking into the sky is mind blowing and to me.

I'm just wondering if anyone has anything that they suggest for me to start with in terms of daily practice, just while I am reading and learning and experiencing.

And any book suggestions or websites would be greatly appreciated!

TygerTyger
April 15th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I discovered Pantheism through Spinoza's book 'Ethics' but it is not an easy book to read due to the style of writing, basically a system of propositions followed by sets of proofs.

Personally, I do not follow any set practice, just looking at the world and appreciating it is often enough for me, although I do meditate occassionaly. I actually like the unstructured approach to Pantheism, I find it to be one of the most attractice features, but I understand that some people prefer to have some ceremony in their spiritual life.

There are other Pantheists on here do follow a more structured regime than myself, Cheddarsox for one, and you could do worse than visit her profile and leave a message there.

There are several Pantheists websites out there and it is very much a personal choice regarding joining them. As to books, I have not read any recently but if you visit the Pantheist section in 'Path Specific Forums' you will find some recommended works.

If you have any other questions please just ask away and don't be shy!

:thumbsup:

SylverMoon
April 15th, 2009, 03:34 AM
It's taken me a little while to get here though. I have come from a Christian back ground, and had a few things happened and some personal growth which forced me to accept that I didn't believe in god. I looked into atheism, and it still didn't quite seem to fit as I still held a belief in a life force.
But I feel so much more alive now, especially when I am outside or getting fresh air. I am finding that I am getting depressed when I am cooped up inside for too long/too often.
I am thinking that a specific structure will give me a basis for practice and once I am more familier/better read then I can just go with the flow.

TygerTyger
April 15th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I was raised C of E but never content with the religious teachings in so far as they impacted on my experience of life. I find Pantheism better explains everything to me and, like you, it makes me feel alive!

The one thing that I would say, however, is don't get lost in the written word, Pantheism is all about experiencing existence in the most immediate sense - right now. Taking the time to contemplate how everthing in the universe is connected is very important and it is necessary, I believe, to do it for yourself.

Check out the Pantheist section, you may find that some of your questions have already been asked and the answer is waiting there for you!

SylverMoon
April 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I just found the FAQ for this section, and it has some great stuff, and pretty much what I was looking for! :)

Thanks! It;s great to meet others on a similar path.

*oonagh*
April 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
hi.
i actually do have a bit of structure. i pray in the morning and at night (and at meals when i think about it <g>). i celebrate the new and full moons and the changing of the seasons. for me, it's all about marking the cycles...hourly...daily...monthly...yearly...of life.

TygerTyger
April 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
hi.
i actually do have a bit of structure. i pray in the morning and at night (and at meals when i think about it <g>). i celebrate the new and full moons and the changing of the seasons. for me, it's all about marking the cycles...hourly...daily...monthly...yearly...of life.

There are a few others who do that sort of thing as well, which is one of the things I like about Pantheism, it's very much about doing what feels right to you as an individual.

For me contemplating an attribute of existence is akin to saying a prayer, whether it is a beautiful landscape, an impresive sunset, watching a dragonfly or just admiring my wife's face.

*oonagh*
April 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
@tygertyger
true and as was stated...someplace (i forget where <wink>)...the very act of breathing is daily practice...breathing in the universe, adding your essence, breathing out your essence into the universe.