PDA

View Full Version : spiritual growth

*oonagh*
May 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
is spiritual growth consistant with pantheism?
why?
why not?

cheddarsox
May 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I think spiritual growth can be consistent with just about any belief system...as Alanis Morrisette says "You live, you learn"

I have grown spiritually using my pantheist beliefs and practices to help me. I also grew spiritually from other experiences as well.

I don't think that pantheism is neccessarily more or less consistent with spiritual growth than any other philosophical approach to living.

Be assured, our spirits are growing...toward something. We get to choose which direction to "train" it.

*oonagh*
May 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I think spiritual growth can be consistent with just about any belief system...as Alanis Morrisette says "You live, you learn"

I have grown spiritually using my pantheist beliefs and practices to help me. I also grew spiritually from other experiences as well.

I don't think that pantheism is neccessarily more or less consistent with spiritual growth than any other philosophical approach to living.

Be assured, our spirits are growing...toward something. We get to choose which direction to "train" it.

great point.

do you think that spiritual growth on a pantheistic path requires concentrated effort, or do you think it just happens?

mystic_zoe
May 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I think spiritual growth is can be consistent within all paths/belief systems.
I don't think that spiritual growth requires more effort within pantheism than any other belief system.

I think that spiritual growth requires effort, but that goes for all religions/paths/belief systems, not just pantheism.

cheddarsox
May 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
great point.

do you think that spiritual growth on a pantheistic path requires concentrated effort, or do you think it just happens?

Hmm. I wouldn't use the term concentrated effort, I mean, you have to be willing to grow, to learn, to embrace experience in order for the growth to take place at a reasonable pace. You can hinder it by resisting, but it will take place anyway, you can help it by embracing it, and there are probably some things you can do to speed it up a bit.

But life will grow you one way or another, just by living it.

I think I have an idea what you are getting at though...about how spiritual growth takes place in a pantheist. I can give you some of my own experience. I didn't have to force it, or look for specific ways to make it happen, or identify specific areas, etc. This is what I did, I LIVED my beliefs. I made that effort to think about what I believed, and put it into practice wherever practical in my life. Then, the rest just happened organically. All sorts of neat connections and insights and understandings happen, because I made that one decision. If I keep "working my program"...lol, living my pantheism, letting it inform me, the growth continues on it's own. I don't have to keep looking for specific ways and places to grow, the Universe provides plenty of those!

TygerTyger
May 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Good questions.

One of the things I like about Pantheism is that it is very much driven by the individual unlike an organised religion where attendance, compliance or observation can be as much social mores as religious practice. In that sense they are not conducive to spiritual growth.

However, where the individual is keen to learn spiritual growth usually follows and in that respect Pantheism is not unique. However, I would say that with a lack of structure, code or leader/s it is far more accommodating to the individual to pursue those areas of their beliefs that most interest them at any given time.

On a personal note I have found far more contentment, which I would associate with spiritual growth, through Pantheism than I ever did with Christianity, but that is a subjective opinion.

*oonagh*
May 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I mean, you have to be willing to grow, to learn, to embrace experience!

*embrace experience*

beautiful!