PDA

View Full Version : why do husbands lie to their psychic wives?

swapmeetmomma
June 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Seriously, he didnt lie about anything big. It was rather silly actually. But why in the world would someone lie to a psychic? Especially if you know they are psychic? Has anyone had this problem?

watersprite
June 4th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Remember, most people don't believe in psychics. Some things, men want to keep to themselves, just like us women. Don't sweat the small stuff. Stay attuned to the BIG stuff. A little white lie is SO much better than a big "affair" type. There he would be putting you both in danger of STDs.

brymble
June 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
OMG. He told you those pants don't make you look fat, didn't he?

Man I hate it when they do that. I know he thinks my ass is big enough to have its own gravitational pull. "You look great, babe!" Ha! Who does he think he's fooling.

Seriously, men lie to their psychic wives about things for the same reason why the wives, psychic or otherwise, may sometimes lie to their husbands about minor (or even major) things. Because we're all human beings, and ain't none of us saints.

Aidron
June 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Seriously, he didnt lie about anything big. It was rather silly actually. But why in the world would someone lie to a psychic? Especially if you know they are psychic? Has anyone had this problem?

No one is perfect. That goes for him and for your psychic abilities. He could have had a million reasons to not tell you. Likewise you could be wrong or he could realize that you won't be able to sense everything.

If it bothers you, call him on it, but give him a valid reason for why it bothers you instead of letting it end at a simple accusation.

"I know you are lying." - No.
"I know you are lying and I'm hurt that you would." - Yes.
"I know you are lying, but why lie about something like this?" - Yes.

The lie isn't the heart of the matter, it's the symptom.

WitchJezebel
June 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
OMG. He told you those pants don't make you look fat, didn't he?

Man I hate it when they do that. I know he thinks my ass is big enough to have its own gravitational pull. "You look great, babe!" Ha! Who does he think he's fooling.

Dammit I hate it when they do that! :crown:

Corvis Canis Latrans
June 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Depending on what it is, I can hold two very different views about a situation to be equally true. I've been accused of lying for just that reason, because depending on the situation of the discussion I've leaned toward one view or another, and someone thought they saw contradictions, or considered them to be contradictions in their book.

I can love a person but hate something they did, even if I understand it intellectually. I can talk from an intellectual standpoint and tell an entirely different truth than the truth my emotions would tell, and they are both equally true to me, even though they contradict one another.

People accuse me of lying, simply because I can hold two contradictory truths in my mind at once and believe them both, because contradictory though they might be at one level, at another level they're both true unto themselves.

We all consist of different personalities and perspectives in the same body, some of them massively inconsistent with one another.

Depending on what the lie was, perhaps you were simply picking up on a different expression of his truth than he was at the time, or you found a different version of his truth more important than the facet he was picking up on.

Just food for thought.

:hugz:

CCL

OneGreyOwl
June 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Seriously, he didnt lie about anything big. It was rather silly actually. But why in the world would someone lie to a psychic? Especially if you know they are psychic? Has anyone had this problem?Yeah, he's called "first husband." And why they do it is because either: a) they dont' really believe you're a sensitive or believe in psychic abilities or b) they have a problem and can't help themselves.

SOB used to sit there and lie to my face, and yes, it was about really, really dumb things. I'd call him on it. He'd deny it to high heaven. Funny thing about me, I normally have a pretty bad memory but these types of incidents would ALWAYS stick in my mind. Sooner or later the real story came out from an inpartial source.

Enough of those stories contributed to my absolute loss of trust and respect for him.

Nesta
June 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Like Corvis said;
"Depending on what the lie was, perhaps you were simply picking up on a different expression of his truth than he was at the time, or you found a different version of his truth more important than the facet he was picking up on."

My partner has told me about things that weren't entirely accurate and I've pointed it out to him. He completely trusts in my psychic ability (although he does forget about it sometimes). I wouldn't call my partner a liar because he just isn't one but he does sometimes have a really strange perspective on something that has happened, or something that someone said. I just point out a different perspective to him. He used to say 'how do you know?'. Now he absolutely knows that 'I know' and he trusts me. I'm not saying that I'm always right and he's always wrong. I'm just generally open to different perspectives.

And a really nice thing is that when he tells me I look great, I know that he really means it. Bless!

Darth Brooks
June 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
What about wives who lie to their psychic husbands?

Wife: "No honey, I haven't been seeing that other guy."
Husband: "Well that's too bad, you won't be seeing me much anymore either...Except maybe in court."

Nesta
June 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
What about wives who lie to their psychic husbands?

Wife: "No honey, I haven't been seeing that other guy."
Husband: "Well that's too bad, you won't be seeing me much anymore either...Except maybe in court."

Funny you should say that, J is psychic. I'm trying to think about times when I've lied to him now. :weirdsmil

OneGreyOwl
June 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Okay, here's the thing I don't get, why should there be any need for any lying at all, white black or otherwise? Whatever happened to saying "I don't want to talk about that right now."

I've been with my current husband 15 years. There's no lying and certainly no need to. Occasionally there's stuff I don't want to tell him, but it's because I don't want him worrying (it's usually involving our finances since I'm in charge of the accounting).

Nesta
June 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think there's any need. I just think it's human nature.

ETA: I was joking about what lies I had told my partner.

Corvis Canis Latrans
June 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Okay, here's the thing I don't get, why should there be any need for any lying at all, white black or otherwise? Whatever happened to saying "I don't want to talk about that right now."

I've been with my current husband 15 years. There's no lying and certainly no need to. Occasionally there's stuff I don't want to tell him, but it's because I don't want him worrying (it's usually involving our finances since I'm in charge of the accounting).

Why does it have to be lying? As I said, I hold different views of reality in my head, mutually contradictory at times. I can accept this, but other people call me a liar.

When is it a lie, and when is it an inconsistency in the person's cognitive conceptualization of reality?

Reality isn't consistent in anyone's mind. You can look at a situation at one point in your life and think it was the worst thing in the world (my childhood at the time I experienced it). You can look at it at a later time and be desperate to get back to it (me currently when I'm in the throws of depression or even just having a strong sense of nostalgia). I look back now and see how what was truth to me then was due to incomplete information, and a different way of cognition....it wasn't false, but neither is my current longing for it.

I can say you're beautiful and still be thinking of your imperfections, what I say is the truth, I believe it. But the unsaid thoughts are also truth.

Example:

Spoken and truly desired and believed at one level: We'll have a great time on this trip, we'll see friends, family, we'll make wonderful love in the moonlight.

Unspoken and also believed: I hate aunt Sue, and your brother is a jerk, I really dread running into them, it almost ruins the entire trip, and while moonlight is romantic, I hate the itch that the sand causes, I love how you look in moonlight and find it arousing, but man, I really hate that you want it on the sand, that's just a stick-jabbing in the back turn off and sand grits in all the wrong places.

Love and excitement and true dread for something go hand in hand.

Two entirely contradictory truths are both true. Is one a liar for leaving the second part out? For dreading things that might not come to pass, or leaving things unspoken because he has a different preference than you and really wants you to enjoy that visit with Aunt Sue and your brother, no matter how much he hates them personally?

Some truths told don't allow the better truth to manifest.

Don't get me wrong, I know all too well how often the opposite happens in these cases, but a lot of times a lie can be at the same time the truth, when we have conflicting feelings on a given situation.

I tend to feel most prominently the negative, but when I speak to someone in person, when we plan something, an outing, a meeting, will verbalize the positive in hopes that that will be made manifest in spite of my dread. I hate the mere idea of going on a given trip, but know if I verbalize that those feelings are present and why, I derstroy any chance of anything positive coming from it, and more often than not it does turn out to be a positive experience in the end....but only because I "lied" in the beginning.

CCL

Lunacie
June 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Because sometimes he lies and you don't pick up on it, so he never knows when you'll catch him out?

Really, what the others here have said though - we all do this from time to time. Dumb little lies for the most part. Sometimes without really thinking about what we're saying. Sometimes because we think the truth would be hurtful, or because the truth might develop into an argument. Lots of reasons really.

Aidron's post was really great. If you're going to call him on it, tell him why it bothers you that he was lying, don't just accuse him and make him all defensive. That probably will develop into an argument instead of helping you both to communicate better.

Sometimes I can tell when I'm being lied to - my hubby had a very odd shield and I never could tell for sure with him. Sometimes I suspected but most of the time I trusted him. But half the time he didn't know himself well enough for what he was saying to be an actual lie.

OneGreyOwl
June 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Why does it have to be lying? As I said, I hold different views of reality in my head, mutually contradictory at times. I can accept this, but other people call me a liar.When is it a lie, and when is it an inconsistency in the person's cognitive conceptualization of reality?liar.If you are lying you DENY. I don't understand any reason for you to deny being of two minds to your husband or wife. If my husband says to me "Is that how you really feel?" I can't imagine feeling a need to conceal that while most of me may really want to do something, I'm also a little overwhelmed or even dreading it, as well. Heck, I have feelings all the time like that, it's perfectly normal. I mean, we are talking about how we communicate with significant others here, not our less intimate relationships.

Additionally, you certainly can have more than one opinion on something, like the death penalty or home schooling, but some things, a simple question like "Where were you?" isn't exactly open for discussion, there's only one answer (this is an action that has taken place) anything else is lying. It's that sort of dumb lying I'm talking about that I dealt with when I talk about my ex's lying.

brymble
June 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM
What I'm wondering is, if the lie really was nothing major and no big deal, why is it worth more drama just because you say you're psychic? Does being psychic mean you should always get your way, that you know everyting about him, or that you get to expect more of him in terms of communication than he does of you?

If it's really no big deal, why turn it into one, whether you're psychic or not?

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
What I'm wondering is, if the lie really was nothing major and no big deal, why is it worth more drama just because you say you're psychic? Does being psychic mean you should always get your way, that you know everyting about him, or that you get to expect more of him in terms of communication than he does of you?

If it's really no big deal, why turn it into one, whether you're psychic or not?
When I said no big deal I meant he wasnt having an affair. I hate being lied to, it enrages me. Big or small, if I ask a direct question I expect a direct honest answer. He knows I know when he is lying so it just pisses me off more.

Dio
June 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Why does it have to be lying? As I said, I hold different views of reality in my head, mutually contradictory at times. I can accept this, but other people call me a liar.

When is it a lie, and when is it an inconsistency in the person's cognitive conceptualization of reality?

Reality isn't consistent in anyone's mind. You can look at a situation at one point in your life and think it was the worst thing in the world (my childhood at the time I experienced it). You can look at it at a later time and be desperate to get back to it (me currently when I'm in the throws of depression or even just having a strong sense of nostalgia). I look back now and see how what was truth to me then was due to incomplete information, and a different way of cognition....it wasn't false, but neither is my current longing for it.

I can say you're beautiful and still be thinking of your imperfections, what I say is the truth, I believe it. But the unsaid thoughts are also truth.

Example:

Spoken and truly desired and believed at one level: We'll have a great time on this trip, we'll see friends, family, we'll make wonderful love in the moonlight.

Unspoken and also believed: I hate aunt Sue, and your brother is a jerk, I really dread running into them, it almost ruins the entire trip, and while moonlight is romantic, I hate the itch that the sand causes, I love how you look in moonlight and find it arousing, but man, I really hate that you want it on the sand, that's just a stick-jabbing in the back turn off and sand grits in all the wrong places.

Love and excitement and true dread for something go hand in hand.

Two entirely contradictory truths are both true. Is one a liar for leaving the second part out? For dreading things that might not come to pass, or leaving things unspoken because he has a different preference than you and really wants you to enjoy that visit with Aunt Sue and your brother, no matter how much he hates them personally?

Some truths told don't allow the better truth to manifest.

Don't get me wrong, I know all too well how often the opposite happens in these cases, but a lot of times a lie can be at the same time the truth, when we have conflicting feelings on a given situation.

I tend to feel most prominently the negative, but when I speak to someone in person, when we plan something, an outing, a meeting, will verbalize the positive in hopes that that will be made manifest in spite of my dread. I hate the mere idea of going on a given trip, but know if I verbalize that those feelings are present and why, I derstroy any chance of anything positive coming from it, and more often than not it does turn out to be a positive experience in the end....but only because I "lied" in the beginning.

CCL

QFT :)

People's realities do change so very often. I guess it comes down to the intent behind the fib. If it is malicious or enough to cause mistrust, that's a problem. If it's done out of love (not fear), the fib can be easily tossed aside as "the other person's issue".

Shawn Blackwolf
June 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Beep... this is a test of your emergency emotional systems... Beep

..if this was a real psychic / emotional emergency you would know..

Beep.. we now return you to your husband speaking truth ..Beep

kaosxmage
June 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't a psychic see or know what was coming before it happened and do something about it?

Just a thought. I've not been convinced anyone is genuinely psychic yet. However, I study mentalism and hypnosis. That makes me a hard nosed skeptic sometimes. My apologies. :bow:

Address the cause rather than the effect.

--Kaos

Caitlin.ann
June 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
1. Why does it have to be that you're psychic? Why can't it simply be that you know him so well you know when hes lying?

2. I wouldn't worry so much about that so much as whether or not your marriage is falling apart anyways. You said that you were asking him whether or not he was having an affair which means there are more issues than simply him lying to you whether you're psychic or not.

DoktorSick
June 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
You want the truth, you can't handle the truth.

Glowy
June 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
So bust him on it...

Get the proof you need.

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yikes I think I worded what I wanted to say wrong! No there was no accusation of an affair, I just meant he wasnt lying about something big like that. Sorry guys. Sacredsin, you could be right. Like when we first started dating Id be like so what did you do last night? And he would say oh nothing. I would say BS you were at johns. Now its like what he does after work. I would ask why it took so long to get home and he would say he worked late and boom I would say BS you were at your friends, out to breakfast, etc. and im right. Im not trying to be possesive, but I work too and I need him home on time.

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
You want the truth, you can't handle the truth. :lol:

aranarose
June 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
My ex had/has a horrible lying problem. And he knows that I'm psychic. He's my biggest fan, always encouraging me.

And his lies weren't little, either. They were/are big, of the, "no, I'm not sleeping with her..." variety.

Now that we're divorced? He never lies to me. Because first off, he learned through 7 years of marriage that I always catch him in the lies. And second, because now I'm the mistress, so he's lying to her :D

I think for some people, they think they can get away with it. And even with a sensitive, there are times that they will. We all have off days. We all have times when we don't catch everything.

And sometimes, our desire to trust the person we're with overrides the psychic nudge we get when someone is lying. We want to trust them so much that we stop trusting ourselves.

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
My ex had/has a horrible lying problem. And he knows that I'm psychic. He's my biggest fan, always encouraging me.

And his lies weren't little, either. They were/are big, of the, "no, I'm not sleeping with her..." variety.

Now that we're divorced? He never lies to me. Because first off, he learned through 7 years of marriage that I always catch him in the lies. And second, because now I'm the mistress, so he's lying to her :D

I think for some people, they think they can get away with it. And even with a sensitive, there are times that they will. We all have off days. We all have times when we don't catch everything.

And sometimes, our desire to trust the person we're with overrides the psychic nudge we get when someone is lying. We want to trust them so much that we stop trusting ourselves.

Very well said, thank you.

Lunacie
June 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Yikes I think I worded what I wanted to say wrong! No there was no accusation of an affair, I just meant he wasnt lying about something big like that. Sorry guys. Sacredsin, you could be right. Like when we first started dating Id be like so what did you do last night? And he would say oh nothing. I would say BS you were at johns. Now its like what he does after work. I would ask why it took so long to get home and he would say he worked late and boom I would say BS you were at your friends, out to breakfast, etc. and im right. Im not trying to be possesive, but I work too and I need him home on time.

Do you know before you ask him, or not until he actually answers, that he stopped somewhere on the way home?

If you know before he answers, then you're asking the wrong question. If you already know why he was late, then you should be asking, "Why didn't you let me know you were stopping off at John's so I wouldn't worry?"

If you don't know until he actually answers you, I'd say you need to tell him what you just wrote here, that you feel like he needs to come straight home and maybe then he can go and do whatever as soon as you guys catch up with each other. That way you're not giving him the option of lying to you in the first place, hmm?

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Do you know before you ask him, or not until he actually answers, that he stopped somewhere on the way home?

If you know before he answers, then you're asking the wrong question. If you already know why he was late, then you should be asking, "Why didn't you let me know you were stopping off at John's so I wouldn't worry?"

If you don't know until he actually answers you, I'd say you need to tell him what you just wrote here, that you feel like he needs to come straight home and maybe then he can go and do whatever as soon as you guys catch up with each other. That way you're not giving him the option of lying to you in the first place, hmm?
I know before I ask him. and I didnt think of a more mature and less abrasive way to talk to him about it like that. Thank you.

Nox_Mortus
June 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM
it's actually very easy to lie to psychics/empaths if you know what you're dealing with. Just thought I'd put that out there.

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
it's actually very easy to lie to psychics/empaths if you know what you're dealing with. Just thought I'd put that out there.
Really how so?

Caitlin.ann
June 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Really how so?

I would say it would have to do with shielding and energy work. I have an extremely intuitive friend and she gets nothing off me because I can shield really well. Just a thought though.

Nox_Mortus
June 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I would say it would have to do with shielding and energy work. I have an extremely intuitive friend and she gets nothing off me because I can shield really well. Just a thought though.

also just general manipulation and mind tricks,sort of like how you can trick a polygraph.

swapmeetmomma
June 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
That makes sense. However my husband has no psychic abilities, and he is agnostic, so he would never even take the time to learn to shield me, then he would believe in something and god knows that would kill him lol.

Lunacie
June 5th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I know before I ask him. and I didnt think of a more mature and less abrasive way to talk to him about it like that. Thank you.

You're welcome.

It's something I learned from reading "Parenting With Love and Logic". (http://www.loveandlogic.com/)If you see a kid break a window, by asking the child "What happened here?" or "How did my window get broken?" you're leaving him room to make up a lie that he figures will keep him out of trouble. If you confront him what you know "Uh oh, you broke the window" then you can move on to the next step. With kids that would be, "How are you going to pay for replacing the broken glass? Maybe you could do some chores for me. Do you have any other ideas?"

I just extrapolated that to your situation and moving straight to the next step instead of leaving an opening for the hubby to lie. Next step - this is what happened (you were late), this is how it makes me feel (like you'd rather spend time with someone else - or I get worried) and explain what you'd like to have happen so you have a starting point to work out a compromise that makes you both satisfied (call me if you're going to stop somewhere - or I'm okay with you taking your time on Thursday if you come straight home on Monday thru Wednesday).

Wish I'd had a copy of that book when I was still married. :hahugh:

Fiamma
June 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
1. Why does it have to be that you're psychic? Why can't it simply be that you know him so well you know when hes lying?

You know, reading further on this thread, and the response by the OP that she knew before she asked where her husband was, this doesn't look like a matter of having anything to do with being psychic, but just as you suggest- knowing her husband well enough to know where he was. I can't really say whether or not the OP is actually psychic (though I do believe that most people have some degree of what we commonly refer to as "psychic abilities") but I don't think this particular case has anything to do with being psychic.

To the OP: honestly, does it matter whether you're psychic or not? I would be more annoyed/frustrated/angry/whatever at the fact that he's lying to you, period if I were in the same situation. This post comes across as being upset at the lack of validation for your psychic abilities- no doubt, unintentional, but that's how it reads to me.

aluokaloo
June 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
well everybody lies, you me, him, everybody!

whether its

"Whats wrong honey?"

"Oh nothing, everything's fine."

or "Are you drunk?"

"No officer! I swear I haven't had one single drink tonight."

people lie for alot of reasons, whether its because they'd rather not talk about something or too keep/get themselves out a bad situation, or because they'd rather lie because they're afraid that to tell the truth it would hurt someone's feelings its just human nature really and in some cases it can be quite a useful skill and sometimes it can even keep the peace.

i dunno what he lied about but well thats for you two to sort out.

watersprite
June 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
To be honest, I don't think the guys know quite what to do or say. And maybe they like the look of your gravitational ass. They really just want to keep the peace, eat and watch TV. That's your average good guys. Some good guys are more intellectual, but still just want to keep the peace. We know what our butts look like when we buy the pants.
Just like we should know, as psychics, what kind of guy they are going to be from the get-go.
So, wouldn't it hurt your feelings if the guy said those pants made your butt look like the back of a Mack truck? We can't just keep trapping them like that. They are not equipped for that kind of confusion.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
June 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Sometimes you have to be abrasive. You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells about something like lying. I'm not saying start a fight, sometimes you just can't be subtle. You have to clearly state your purpose in a conversation. Elsewise it's not fair to the person you are talking to. Your backing them into a corner before you even ask the question, that's trying to control your partner not work with them on the issues at hand.

swapmeetmomma
June 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
To be honest, I don't think the guys know quite what to do or say. And maybe they like the look of your gravitational ass. They really just want to keep the peace, eat and watch TV. That's your average good guys. Some good guys are more intellectual, but still just want to keep the peace. We know what our butts look like when we buy the pants.
Just like we should know, as psychics, what kind of guy they are going to be from the get-go.
So, wouldn't it hurt your feelings if the guy said those pants made your butt look like the back of a Mack truck? We can't just keep trapping them like that. They are not equipped for that kind of confusion.
I think he tries to lie because I ALWAYS catch him, and I think maybe he feels a little like he cant be normal, because like someone said earlier everyone lies.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
June 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM

You are my hero watersprite:toofless:

Vesperal
June 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I think there is a fine line between lying and just being polite and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. Keeping the peace, like watersprite said.

I think there is a fine line between lying and just being polite and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. Keeping the peace, like watersprite said. People have the right to keep some thoughts to themselves, being too empathic/psychic isn't good(in my opinion ;)).

Nesta
June 10th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think there is a fine line between lying and just being polite and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. Keeping the peace, like watersprite said. People have the right to keep some thoughts to themselves, being too empathic/psychic isn't good(in my opinion ;)).

You can be very empathic and just not pry into other people's minds. Being 'too' psychic isn't a problem if you learn how to handle it but being nosy is a problem. They're two different things.
It's more often about being able to shield because thoughts can often jump out of people's heads and I can thankfully shut them out. The emotions and thoughts jump out, it's not about going into anyones private thoughts.

Louisvillian
June 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
But why in the world would someone lie to a psychic? Especially if you know they are psychic?
http://www.whiterose.org/pete/blog/facepalm.jpg

KC Destroyer of Worlds
June 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Good point Nesta. This is a problem my SO and I run in to quite a bit. Both of us are pretty sensitive, if one of us isn't talking there is much arm waving and gnashing of teeth. We've yet to figure out how to give each other "head space" but we're working on it.

Vesperal
June 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM
You can be very empathic and just not pry into other people's minds. Being 'too' psychic isn't a problem if you learn how to handle it but being nosy is a problem. They're two different things.
It's more often about being able to shield because thoughts can often jump out of people's heads and I can thankfully shut them out. The emotions and thoughts jump out, it's not about going into anyones private thoughts.

I wish more people could shield. I had unpleasant experiences with "sensitive" people, probably because they didn't learn to handle their empathy yet.

Nesta
June 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I wish more people could shield. I had unpleasant experiences with "sensitive" people, probably because they didn't learn to handle their empathy yet.

... and then there are the ones who actually like being nosy. That's seriously against my personal ethics so I would never intentionally 'go looking'. That would be a major invasion of privacy so I totally understand where you're coming from. I've encountered some people who have intentionally tried to have a look in my mind, they got a shock that they deserved.

Nesta
June 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Good point Nesta. This is a problem my SO and I run in to quite a bit. Both of us are pretty sensitive, if one of us isn't talking there is much arm waving and gnashing of teeth. We've yet to figure out how to give each other "head space" but we're working on it.

J and I are like that too, it can be really hard work at times!

KC Destroyer of Worlds
June 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
J and I are like that too, it can be really hard work at times!

The good thing about it is that both of us want to work through it. Some times we just have to say "timeout get out of my head for a minute I need that space" At which point the atmosphere becomes a bit more tolerable.

Corvis Canis Latrans
June 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
You know, reading the title of the thread again just now, something else did occur to me.

If your abilities are strong enough that you can tell they're lying, and you know what the truth of the matter is (someone here whether the OP or someone else stated that they knew the person had been elsewhere from where they claimed they'd been, and knew where they had been), then it shouldn't be difficult to ascertain the reason why using same said psychic powers.

Now, if it's just an intuitive sense that they lied, no other information forthcoming from that sense, I can understand the question, but if by your powers you know exactly where someone was when they claimed to be elsewhere, you don't need to be asking why. If, in the latter instance, it's not a rhetorical why, and you really can't figure the motive out, then you need to reconsider whether or not you really have psychic powers or paranoia powers.

Nicholas
June 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.whiterose.org/pete/blog/facepalm.jpg

My sentiments exactly... but for the sake of humor:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c238/darkslander/Jean-Luc-Picard-Sings-And-Dances.gif

KC Destroyer of Worlds
June 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM
You know, reading the title of the thread again just now, something else did occur to me.

If your abilities are strong enough that you can tell they're lying, and you know what the truth of the matter is (someone here whether the OP or someone else stated that they knew the person had been elsewhere from where they claimed they'd been, and knew where they had been), then it shouldn't be difficult to ascertain the reason why using same said psychic powers.

Now, if it's just an intuitive sense that they lied, no other information forthcoming from that sense, I can understand the question, but if by your powers you know exactly where someone was when they claimed to be elsewhere, you don't need to be asking why. If, in the latter instance, it's not a rhetorical why, and you really can't figure the motive out, then you need to reconsider whether or not you really have psychic powers or paranoia powers.

*snerk*