PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prodigy drops out of HS for GED to try for early pros.

Glowy
June 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-I-mostly-support-Bryce-Harper-s-decision-to-?urn=mlb,170270

hmmm... I am not sure how I feel about this

Brightshores
June 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I am not sure that a 16 year old is really equipped to handle big-league baseball life (although he will, of course, spend a lot of time in the minors. But still...) He could end up seriously messed up, but then again, he wouldn't be the first.

In terms of his education - it's probably a good move for him, as he could easily get a GED and go to college if the baseball thing falls through... and as the article says, having a good chance at a huge signing bonus will set him up very nicely. If you can get that kind of money at a young age playing professional sports, it's probably not a bad idea - you never know when injury or whatever will ruin your chances. Although, i think it doesn't really set a good example for other kids of more moderate talent, who might think "hey, I can quit school and be a baseball player too!"

Glowy
June 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I am not sure that a 16 year old is really equipped to handle big-league baseball life (although he will, of course, spend a lot of time in the minors. But still...) He could end up seriously messed up, but then again, he wouldn't be the first.

In terms of his education - it's probably a good move for him, as he could easily get a GED and go to college if the baseball thing falls through... and as the article says, having a good chance at a huge signing bonus will set him up very nicely. If you can get that kind of money at a young age playing professional sports, it's probably not a bad idea - you never know when injury or whatever will ruin your chances. Although, i think it doesn't really set a good example for other kids of more moderate talent, who might think "hey, I can quit school and be a baseball player too!"

That was my thought as well, he is social enough, as his HS friends so I am not thinking he will miss out on too much.