PDA

View Full Version : Runescape - Well that was just typical!

TygerTyger
June 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
My son has been playing Runescape for awhile and he's been nagging me to join in. I gave in at the weekend, registered and got playing.

Okay, the game has its' limits almost immediately but what the heck, it's a bit of light hearted fun. By about 8pm last night I had advanced a couple of levels, had a decent inventory list and a modest fortune in gold coins.

My son, the experienced palyer, decided that I could do with some coaching so he advised me to go down a dungeon to boost my experience points. "Whoa! There are zombies down here!" I said in hesitation.
"Don't worry, they won't bother you!" He said with confidence. Of course the obvious happened, I got slain by a zombie and lost just about everything in the process!
"That never happened to me!" Was my son's parting shot as he raced for the safety of his room!
:viking2:

Burning Angel
June 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
My son has been playing Runescape for awhile and he's been nagging me to join in. I gave in at the weekend, registered and got playing.

Okay, the game has its' limits almost immediately but what the heck, it's a bit of light hearted fun. By about 8pm last night I had advanced a couple of levels, had a decent inventory list and a modest fortune in gold coins.

My son, the experienced palyer, decided that I could do with some coaching so he advised me to go down a dungeon to boost my experience points. "Whoa! There are zombies down here!" I said in hesitation.
"Don't worry, they won't bother you!" He said with confidence. Of course the obvious happened, I got slain by a zombie and lost just about everything in the process!
"That never happened to me!" Was my son's parting shot as he raced for the safety of his room!
:viking2:

I don't know much about Runescape dungeons, but I used to play back in the day...I'm surprised the death mechanics are still so harsh. How do they compete with the subscription MMOs and their cushy death penalties? :P

~Jon :boing:

Anthony41671
June 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
My kids live and die by that game!

Raven Reed
June 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I got up to level 102 in that game before I got sucked off into World of Warcraft... I was even a mod for a bit.

Terra Mater
June 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
The kids got me into RS and long after they moved off into different games, I still remain. I love all the different skillsetsand the variety of activites available in the game. I built a house, stomp around the countryside, and have a lot of fun with it.

I recommend the Runescape wiki for new players, as it gives you all the hints you need to live long and prosper in the RS world.

TygerTyger
June 24th, 2009, 02:58 AM
This is the first RPG I've played on line so it's all new to me - I didn't even know that you could build a house!

Fortunately I never lost any skills when I died so I'm now busy killing level 2 creatures to re-build my fortune and add necessary items to my inventory - but I'm not taking any tips from my son anymore!

Raven Reed
June 24th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Put anything you are worried about losing in your bank. :uhhuhuh:

Terra Mater
June 24th, 2009, 06:47 AM
This is the first RPG I've played on line so it's all new to me - I didn't even know that you could build a house!

Fortunately I never lost any skills when I died so I'm now busy killing level 2 creatures to re-build my fortune and add necessary items to my inventory - but I'm not taking any tips from my son anymore!
You have to have a paid account to build houses, but they are a lot of fun to have. I recommend doing all the free stuff first and then deciding whether ot not to pay for membership. Most people get bored with RS by the time they complete the free quests and achievements.

TygerTyger
June 29th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the tips, especially Runescape wiki.

I have exceeded my precious status since my 'death' and now romping happily around the Runescape world. It's surprisingly seductive but has all the bugbears of RPG's. Still, an entertaining way to pass the odd hour when I can't concentrate on anything else - for whatever the reason!

Terra Mater
June 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah, it is one of my favorite time killers.:thumbsup: