PDA

View Full Version : Mysticwickers, I need your assistance!

la tortuga
June 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Today, my dream came true! :boing: I am now the proud owner of the CUTEST little baby box turtle in the world :cutie:... however, I have absolutely no idea what to name him or her! As it is still a baby, there's no way to determine the gender so many of the names I had been thinking of are out the window (I was absolutely sure it would be Herbert for a boy, or Nancy for a girl!) and now I need some good turtle names that are somewhat unisex...

So, here's the picture... any ideas?

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs095.snc1/5146_115822659609_776239609_2906029_8264120_n.jpg

(Admin/Guides: feel free to move if necessary!)

Cloaked Raven
June 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What a cute little turtle!! :cutie:

I can't think of any names right now, but if I do think of any, I'll post them.

HetHert
June 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
OMG so squee!!! :boing:

no names coming to me yet...I'll post back if I get a few.

Congrats on your new addition!

Glowy
June 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM
SOOO cute!!

Slowmo?
Unisex names..

Sammy?

memnoch
June 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
soupy...like soupy sales...or like turtle soup

la tortuga
June 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Update!

Okay, so a friend of mine and I were talking about turtle gender and he told me a few key details of turtle sexing.

Males almost always have red irises.
Females have brown or yellow eyes.
Shell shape for females tends to be more circular, for males it is more oblong or oval.

Given these facts and my own little research on it, I'm guessing this turtle is most likely female due to her amber eyes and round shell, among a few other characteristics. Thus, her name is Nancy. :D

watersprite
June 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Those eyes show a considerable amount of Mischief, if that helps.

LostSheep
June 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I would have said Robert. I will, in fact, still call her Robert, even if she is a female. So you can call her Nancy, i will call her Robert. :uhhuhuh:

la tortuga
June 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I would have said Robert. I will, in fact, still call her Robert, even if she is a female. So you can call her Nancy, i will call her Robert. :uhhuhuh:

A friend asked me what her middle name would be, so I will call her "Nancy Robert" just for you, Sheepie. :cutie:

memnoch
June 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
A friend asked me what her middle name would be, so I will call her "Nancy Robert" just for you, Sheepie. :cutie:

no soupy??? I'm disappointed

la tortuga
June 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
no soupy??? I'm disappointed

Haha there's this big ol' Slider in my granny's yard in Rockport, and he's a mean boy. I'll call him "Soupy" instead... since he's be more worthy of it in every sense possible.

memnoch
June 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'll take what I can get, no one appriciates my knack for naming things...I told the wife the next time we get a cat I want to name it Chairman Meow...she wasn't amused.

la tortuga
June 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'll take what I can get, no one appriciates my knack for naming things...I told the wife the next time we get a cat I want to name it Chairman Meow...she wasn't amused.

My dad is like that... My cat's name is Luna (now Lunei, kind of weird) and we started having this male tomcat show up pretty often, he was yellow like the sun and I said we should call him "Sunny" and Dad decided to name him Nooner since he was yellow like the sunshine and was... very loving...

Name stuck.

memnoch
June 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
My dad is like that... My cat's name is Luna (now Lunei, kind of weird) and we started having this male tomcat show up pretty often, he was yellow like the sun and I said we should call him "Sunny" and Dad decided to name him Nooner since he was yellow like the sunshine and was... very loving...

Name stuck.

I like your dad :D

aluokaloo
June 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Name stuck.

Nooner just sounds........weird! your dad must be pretty cool :giggle:

Lunar Raven
June 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I suck at coming up with names..but I gotta say, that turtle is ADORABLE. Awww...

AutumnWitchie
June 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
That is a cute turtle! My son loves turtles. I have to take him to the local pharmacy at least once a month to see what kind of turtles they have on display. The pharmacist/owner is part of a program for educationing about turtles. Last month he had a dozen yellow belly sliders. My son wanted one so bad. I had one when I was little but it's illegal to sell turtles in NC except for educational purposes. This month they have about 8 box turtles that just hatched back in early May. There is a sign on the aquarium about not running over box turtles crossing the roads. I have a friend who is a teacher who is going to try and get a turtle for my son.

BearDancing
June 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
:boing::boing:I am sooooo happy for you my sweet, Nancy is a cute as you are:toofless:.................Yah you................:boing::boing:

David19
June 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Very cute and sweet turtle, definitely adorable :) :hugz:.

As for names, I think these would be very cool names for a Turtle:

Leonardo
Raphael
Michelangelo
Donatello

For girls, how about:

April O'Neil
Casey Jones

Or you could call him/her:

Shredder - nice and unisex ;) (on seconds thought, maybe the name Shredder and Turtles won't get on).

I'd love it if you did use one of the above names ;) :).

Shanti
June 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I dont know where you got it from but its against 'federal' law to buy, sell or barter any turtles under 4 inches in shell size.

If its from the wild check your local laws.

Cute turtle but I wouldnt show it off if your in violation of any laws.

Gosh if you got it from a pet store, anonymously report them!

memnoch
June 26th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Very cute and sweet turtle, definitely adorable :) :hugz:.

As for names, I think these would be very cool names for a Turtle:

Leonardo
Raphael
Michelangelo
Donatello

For girls, how about:

April O'Neil
Casey Jones

Or you could call him/her:

Shredder - nice and unisex ;) (on seconds thought, maybe the name Shredder and Turtles won't get on).

I'd love it if you did use one of the above names ;) :).

Everyone knows that Casey Jones and April O'Neil are human names :p

I dont know where you got it from but its against 'federal' law to buy, sell or barter any turtles under 4 inches in shell size.

you have to be kidding me :goodgrief

la tortuga
June 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM

No, it is a domestically bred turtle, I made sure of that.

I thought the four inch law only pertained to AQUATIC turtles (most specifically red-eared sliders), since they are the ones more likely to harbor salmonella due to dirty water. The people at the store I got her from were very sure to make that perfectly clear to me, and also to make sure I knew I couldn't have a red-eared slider in my home with a child under the age of seven (which I do) when I went in to inquire about the box turtles coming in two weeks ago.

bbnflpn
June 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM
what a cutie,

years ago we had a few boxer turtles, my dad would rescue them when they were crossing the road when we lived in mississippi.

ned ted jed fred, happy and go lucky were their names,

when we moved we gave them to our neighbors, and when my sister went to visit them over 20 years later, they still had them lol.

it was fun to watch them fight over the dog food with the dog and turkey.

la tortuga
June 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
what a cutie,

years ago we had a few boxer turtles, my dad would rescue them when they were crossing the road when we lived in mississippi.

ned ted jed fred, happy and go lucky were their names,

when we moved we gave them to our neighbors, and when my sister went to visit them over 20 years later, they still had them lol.

it was fun to watch them fight over the dog food with the dog and turkey.

Awww yeah, my friend Leona has a fiesty little boxie who loves to chase the cat :lol:

Raven Reed
June 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
My son has an adorable Russian tortie named Om, for the diety in Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. He is a good little guy. We have him in a 50 gallon tote, covered in chicken wire to keep the cats out of his sand. I am thinking of building an outdoor enclosure for him, but it has to be tortoise proof, and that actually takes a bit of doing since they can dig down quite far. Also, we have road runners around here that would love to make a snack of him.

He loves hay and lettuce. Occasionally he eats arugula. He is very picky. I have tried picking dandelions, feeding him all sorts of greens. Nope, he really wants his lettuce and hay.

Something to be careful of, at least with Russians, not sure about your little guy, is that if they are not omnivores, some hay has a too much protein. Also, greens with oxalic acid isn't good for them, so no spinach or beet greens. There are other greens that have it too, but I can't think of them offhand.

I joke with my mom because she has kidney problems and can't have oxalic acid either that she is on the tortoise diet.

Raven Reed
June 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Just to clarify, our tortoise is strictly an herbivore, not sure about box tortoises.

bbnflpn
June 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
i dont know if they are omnivores but i do know that our turtles loved dog food.

halfwaynowhere
June 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Aw, so freaking adorable!

but just for future reference-

Contrary to popular belief, although they may have been inspired by consequences of the trade in hatchling red-eared sliders, the regulations cover all chelonians with a carapace less than 4 inches in length. This includes tortoises and box turtles, not just water turtles. The only exceptions are the sea turtles. These are covered by different laws.
In keeping with their public health orientation, the regulations basically cover the mass marketing of turtles to the general public. Because the regulations specifically exclude sales not in connection with a business, most private party sales of surplus stock by hobbyists are unaffected by this law.
the full regulations can be found here: http://www.tortoise.org/general/4inch.html

Raven Reed
June 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
If you give an herbivorous tortoise dog food it can seriously deform their shell and overtax their kidneys and kill them... This link will show why it is so important not to let them eat it even if they want to.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/webdiet.htm

i dont know if they are omnivores but i do know that our turtles loved dog food.

Amilee
June 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
The hubby says Jose (as in ho-ze)

My sister says Franchescio (However that's spelled), or Elliott

I'm gonna throw in and say... Green :cutie: it's late...mah brain hurts. <3

bbnflpn
June 28th, 2009, 05:32 AM
If you give an herbivorous tortoise dog food it can seriously deform their shell and overtax their kidneys and kill them... This link will show why it is so important not to let them eat it even if they want to.

thats good to know, unfortunatly we did not know that then and that was 29 years ago, i dont think they ate much of the dog food, the dog or the turkey usually won the battle. and as far as i know they are still alive and healthy. they were about 9 in across when we had them, i dont know how big they were when my sister saw them again 20 years later.

i should add we did not feed canned dog food but dry, although it was probably just as bad for them, i noticed most of the comments about dog food were related to the canned wet stuff

however if i were to have another i will remember this

banondraig
June 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
What if it's vegetarian dog food?

Raven Reed
June 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Since the issue is the amount of protein, not what the protein is made from, and giving them hay with too much protein is not recommended, I would imagine it is just as bad.

la tortuga
July 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
My son has an adorable Russian tortie named Om, for the diety in Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. He is a good little guy. We have him in a 50 gallon tote, covered in chicken wire to keep the cats out of his sand. I am thinking of building an outdoor enclosure for him, but it has to be tortoise proof, and that actually takes a bit of doing since they can dig down quite far. Also, we have road runners around here that would love to make a snack of him.

He loves hay and lettuce. Occasionally he eats arugula. He is very picky. I have tried picking dandelions, feeding him all sorts of greens. Nope, he really wants his lettuce and hay.

Something to be careful of, at least with Russians, not sure about your little guy, is that if they are not omnivores, some hay has a too much protein. Also, greens with oxalic acid isn't good for them, so no spinach or beet greens. There are other greens that have it too, but I can't think of them offhand.

I joke with my mom because she has kidney problems and can't have oxalic acid either that she is on the tortoise diet.

The adult turtles and tortoises, from what I have read, tend to be much more picky in their diet.

Just to clarify, our tortoise is strictly an herbivore, not sure about box tortoises.

She is an opportunistic omnivore, she eats anything. :) Though, if anyone is going to get a baby box turtle, be careful in following what you read online, as it typically covers the diet of the adult box turtles, which are primarily herbivores and only about 10% of their diet should be protein. Quite the opposite with the hatchlings, however, who are primarily carniverous for at least the first half a year of their life (or more), then slowly and surely begin to prefer more vegetables and fruits as they grow older.

Box turtles are bonkers for berries, by the way. :cutie: Not that I've tried yet since Nancy is very young, but I've seen videos where these turtles are offered berries and their eyes go wide with delight, it's adorable!

A note on lettuce, though: I've never seen it recommended to give any animal iceberg lettuce, at is has NO nutritional value whatsoever. That's why it's good for a diet since it fills you up, is full of water, and essentially worthless.

They do, it is recommended to give them very small amounts of low-fat dog food every once in a while (like a special treat, not too terribly often) especially with chicken in it, they love the stuff.

Many things can deform turtle shells, but I've seen pictures of this with box turtles happening due to improper diet with not enough calcium or sunlight. Calcium powder is a must!

thats good to know, unfortunatly we did not know that then and that was 29 years ago, i dont think they ate much of the dog food, the dog or the turkey usually won the battle. and as far as i know they are still alive and healthy. they were about 9 in across when we had them, i dont know how big they were when my sister saw them again 20 years later.

i should add we did not feed canned dog food but dry, although it was probably just as bad for them, i noticed most of the comments about dog food were related to the canned wet stuff

however if i were to have another i will remember this

It's okay to give them the wet stuff so long as it's very low in fat, but I think the key thing to remember with any animal is that it's okay to give them things that are not optimally healthy for them every once in a while (Gods know we do it to ourselves!) but if it becomes habitual with very little, if any, variance in diet it could be harmful.

Since the issue is the amount of protein, not what the protein is made from, and giving them hay with too much protein is not recommended, I would imagine it is just as bad.

Again, this would depend on the age and species of the turtle entirely, I'm sure.

Aw, so freaking adorable!

but just for future reference-

the full regulations can be found here: http://www.tortoise.org/general/4inch.html

Ah, thank you. I will keep that in mind next time. :) I was rereading my copy of The Box Turtle Manual last night and found a little paragraph that addressed this problem, but took it from a different light saying that it's difficult for people to get pet box turtles as a result of this law so they go out and get one out of the wild (and those animals typically die due to stress). Either that, or someone else does and tries to sell it in a pet store. At least with the babies you can more easily verify where that animal came from, since it hasn't been living too long for too many handler changes. Just an interesting point, I suppose.

Okay, so now an update on dear Nancy, herself. She's doing SO well! I was really actually very nervous the first two days or so because I was afraid I was doing EVERYTHING wrong! I don't know why, I just worried that if her light was on for an extra two hours before I got home from work to turn it off was going to just kill her and then I'd just be another statistic with a stupid person who didn't do their research getting an exotic animal and epic failing with it completely. The problem I had was when I did more research, I found more web sites and books that contradicted each other and I got confused thinking I was doing the wrong thing!

She's doing fine, though. I've decided to change up her habitat to make it more workable for her. See, it's suggested to let turtles swim for a little bit each day and such to keep them well hydrated and, well, to have fun in the pool, duh! Well, the little thing I had gotten for her was shallow enough for her to just sit and soak happily, which is good, but she was bonking her head into the walls and just generally getting bored with the whole affair because it wasn't big enough to really go anywhere, and baby box turtles really do like to swim, more than the adults. So, today I tried her out in a pie pan and she didn't like it for two reasons: 1. The pie pan is made of metal and gave off the heat from the water too quickly so she got cold and 2. She's too small to get out of it readily and/or easily. I'd hate for anything to happen while I was gone if I left it full for her to sit in, so I've decided to go to the home depot or something and get one of those terra cotta things you set the pots on top of since they're shallow, don't have steep edges, and you can get a variety of diameters. Plus, they're cheap. What are they called? Pot pans? Eh, you get the gist of it. I just have to put one of those heater rocks underneath it in the enclosure, since she can't really dig down underneath the thing to get to the heater rock, which is apparently a big concern for turtles. Just to keep the water warm.

I'm getting really good at catching crickets and getting them covered in calcium powder. I do like watching her run after them and gobble them up. She was having trouble in tracking them down because she's very small and they're so fast! She was doing okay, but she wasn't eating enough for me to be satisfied with and not as much as was suggested by all of the sources I've read so far. I think she was actually getting a bit stressed because of it because there was a day she didn't come out at all to look around, as far as I know. I was worried about it until I saw her the next day. She caught one or two but went back to burrowing. I started to get a little concerned about her activity level but realized that I'm not exactly home all day to see what she's up to. Anyway, all of that was settled today when I came home and she was just kind of sitting around, basking. I'm very encouraged about this activity spurt, perhaps she was going through new habitat anxiety.

I read in a book that it's better to actually break the crickets' back legs so that they can catch them more easily and I tried it today and it was very successful, she caught and ate all of the ones I put in there (5 or so) in about fifteen to twenty minutes so I think that is probably the cure for her turtle blues and she seemed very enthusiastic about the whole affair. I'm going to go get some small mealworms or earth worms for her to try out, as they are easier for her to catch and they don't stink to high heaven like crickets!

I think she has grown since I got her less than a week ago, too, but that may just be me adjusting to how small she is. :) She and I are having tons of fun, she likes walking around in my hands, very curious and interested in what's going on. She will run up and down my pant legs if I set her down at the hip she will walk down to my ankle (sitting on the floor) and decide, when she gets there, that that's just too much of a leap to the carpet (a whole one and a half times her body length, *gasp*!) and turn around and come back up. Today she heard my dad whistling in the other room and she kept straining to see if she could find what was making that awful racket :lol:

Anyway, that's what's up with Nancy. :cutie: Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome, by the way.

Raven Reed
July 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Our little guy gets red lettuces, romaine, green leaf, and if I buy the bags of spring greens without spinach, he gets whatever is in the mix. I also occasionally will give him a bit of carrot or cucumber, but very, very rarely. I see what other greens are available and try to give him a bit of variety. I never give him iceberg, and rarely give him fruits. Apparently fruits are not so good for Russians.

[QUOTE=la tortuga;3980784]A note on lettuce, though: I've never seen it recommended to give any animal iceberg lettuce, at is has NO nutritional value whatsoever. That's why it's good for a diet since it fills you up, is full of water, and essentially worthless.
/QUOTE]

Shanti
July 2nd, 2009, 04:20 AM
No, it is a domestically bred turtle, I made sure of that.

I thought the four inch law only pertained to AQUATIC turtles (most specifically red-eared sliders), since they are the ones more likely to harbor salmonella due to dirty water. The people at the store I got her from were very sure to make that perfectly clear to me, and also to make sure I knew I couldn't have a red-eared slider in my home with a child under the age of seven (which I do) when I went in to inquire about the box turtles coming in two weeks ago.
Wrong! The law is for all..

Contrary to popular belief, although they may have been inspired by consequences of the trade in hatchling red-eared sliders, the regulations cover all chelonians with a carapace less than 4 inches in length. This includes tortoises and box turtles, not just water turtles. The only exceptions are the sea turtles. These are covered by different laws. From halfwaynowhere's link. Thank you.

I would report the store. We had several store also selling illegal turtles and tortoises and a few were found to break several animal laws resulting in one very large store being totally shut down due to its backdoor law breaking and animal neglect in many areas. A store that out right refuses to follow the laws, and they know the laws, all pet stores are told of the laws, often are shady in other aspects of animal care.

If you dont like the laws then fight to change them but they shouldnt be dismissed because it can come back to bite later.

I hope your turtle does well because the store very well may have lied to you since they dont bother following the rules for their business. They are out for the money not the concern of the animal. Heck this store you went to has already lied to make the sale!
The most important thing is making sure it eats well and get a food thats specifically for your species of turtle!! The store should carry some. The prepared foods are nutitionally balanced. Dont play guessing games at such a fragile age.
Buy a high quality box turtle food.

banondraig
July 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks.

Also, sorrel plants (genus Oxalis) have a lot of oxalic acid. There are some good pictures of them here (http://www.hlasek.com/Oxalis_corniculata_a4328.html). I don't know whether or not they grow where you are, but here they are incredibly common. It seems like I get some every time I weed my garden.

Raven Reed
July 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
We don't have any sorrel here that I know of, and certainly not in my yard. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks.

Also, sorrel plants (genus Oxalis) have a lot of oxalic acid. There are some good pictures of them here (http://www.hlasek.com/Oxalis_corniculata_a4328.html). I don't know whether or not they grow where you are, but here they are incredibly common. It seems like I get some every time I weed my garden.

Raven Reed
July 2nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
I don't know about box tortoises, but our Russian wouldn't touch the prepared food I bought him. I ended up taking the rather expensive stuff back to the store and gave it to them.

The prepared foods are nutitionally balanced. Dont play guessing games at such a fragile age.

Shanti
July 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
I don't know about box tortoises, but our Russian wouldn't touch the prepared food I bought him. I ended up taking the rather expensive stuff back to the store and gave it to them.This is a hatchling, perfect age to teach it to eat a nutritionally balanced food.
If this turtle doesnt get the correct balance of all the nutrition it needs, it will end up with problems.

Its growth rate is the highest right now and thats the time a good balance of all nutrients is needed.

Using wild foods can introduce microscopic parasites into the turtle along with not getting its nutrition correct.

Human foods are way bad since they wont give the correct balance and most are grown with herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers that are not good for a turtle.

Safety of the food and nutrition has to go together.

Also this hatching needs a full spectrum UV light asap!!! That will replace the sunlight and vit D that it naturally would be getting. All herps need a full spectrum UV light unless they are carnivores.
Box turtle are omnivores and need that light! They dont get enough Vit D from food alone. They bask for their vit D.
Its needed for proper bone growth.

Protein isnt the only nutrition they need.
Its all the nutrients including minerals they need and in balance. A wrong balance of just A and D can mess them up or a wrong balance of Phosphorus and calcium can mess them up.

Also there is a big difference between keeping an animal alive and having it thrive. A thriving animal needs proper diet, housing and all over care.

Raven Reed
July 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Our little Russian was an adult when we got him, and already picky. I have no clue how old he is. The people we got him from had no idea what kind of tortoise he was, and probably were feeding him all the wrong food. The first few months we had him all he did was hibernate and refuse to come out of his shell! He was in a tiny 10 gallon terrarium with a food dish, water dish, a bark thing to hide under, and no room to turn around.

I have him set up with the proper UV light. In addition we take him outside to get some natural sunlight at least once a week when he gets his water soak. We give him calcium dust on his lettuce and he has a cuttle bone. He now has tons of room in his 50 gallon tote and loves to run around and dig around in there.

My aunt has a horse, and I give him the low protein hay she has, so it is probably okay for this tortoise since horses are very sensitive to anything icky. He nests in the hay and slowly eats it.

We have had him for about five years now, which is nothing in tortoise years, I know, but he seems quite happy and healthy. His eyes are bright, his skin is good, no soft shell... My main concern with Om is that he eats a lot and from what I understand, overeating is a problem with Russians.

I know our little guy is in a totally different boat than the hatchling. However, with research and care, I think he will be fine. I am not convinced that the commercial tortoise foods are totally healthy, but the mineral supplements are very important for a healthy shell.

This is a hatchling, perfect age to teach it to eat a nutritionally balanced food.
If this turtle doesnt get the correct balance of all the nutrition it needs, it will end up with problems.

Its growth rate is the highest right now and thats the time a good balance of all nutrients is needed.

Using wild foods can introduce microscopic parasites into the turtle along with not getting its nutrition correct.

Human foods are way bad since they wont give the correct balance and most are grown with herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers that are not good for a turtle.

Safety of the food and nutrition has to go together.

Also this hatching needs a full spectrum UV light asap!!! That will replace the sunlight and vit D that it naturally would be getting. All herps need a full spectrum UV light unless they are carnivores.
Box turtle are omnivores and need that light! They dont get enough Vit D from food alone. They bask for their vit D.
Its needed for proper bone growth.

Protein isnt the only nutrition they need.
Its all the nutrients including minerals they need and in balance. A wrong balance of just A and D can mess them up or a wrong balance of Phosphorus and calcium can mess them up.

Also there is a big difference between keeping an animal alive and having it thrive. A thriving animal needs proper diet, housing and all over care.

la tortuga
July 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Wrong! The law is for all..
From halfwaynowhere's link. Thank you.

I would report the store. We had several store also selling illegal turtles and tortoises and a few were found to break several animal laws resulting in one very large store being totally shut down due to its backdoor law breaking and animal neglect in many areas. A store that out right refuses to follow the laws, and they know the laws, all pet stores are told of the laws, often are shady in other aspects of animal care.

If you dont like the laws then fight to change them but they shouldnt be dismissed because it can come back to bite later.

I hope your turtle does well because the store very well may have lied to you since they dont bother following the rules for their business. They are out for the money not the concern of the animal. Heck this store you went to has already lied to make the sale!
The most important thing is making sure it eats well and get a food thats specifically for your species of turtle!! The store should carry some. The prepared foods are nutitionally balanced. Dont play guessing games at such a fragile age.

Shanti, you seem to have missed an entire update post that goes in some pretty great detail about a hatchling box turtle's diet. Every site available and all of the books I have read, the vet I called have said "feed her live animals such as crickets and meal worms, quite often the babies refuse to get interested in feeding unless the food is moving around, especially when introduced to a new habitat". As a hatchling (and I don't know if this is true just for box turtles), they eat mostly protein. It's because they grow at an alarming rate that this point and need it the most. She also needs Calcium and UV-B light, which I do have supplements for with going through all of the trouble to dust every single individual worm or cricket with the calcium powder, as is suggested a few times a week, and supplying her with a UV light, aside from the heating lamp. I also take her outside to get natural sunlight and explore in the grass, again something that was suggested by vets in a manual. They will not eat vegetables, it takes a while for them to feel the need to eat them (up to a year). She has bits of carrot if she is interested, but she isn't. She wants protein, she needs protein.

The mixed foods are made for adult turtles and most web sites and books I've read have said not to feed turtles just the mix foods, since they get sick if their diet is not varied enough. Also (and I've said this before), since adult box turtles have approximately 90% vegetarian diet it is not something acceptable for Nancy to eat, it will make her sick if she eats it at all. A varied diet with different sorts of foods available to them, so long as you know specifically some of the things they really ought not be eating and what their favorites happen to be, is what works best for them... unless you would be happy eating kibble for the rest of your life, I'm not subjecting her to it, either, especially since it's vet recommended and approved and found by hundreds of people who own these animals that it is better for them to have a varied diet. There are are lists of "ABSOLUTELY NOT" and "not so good" foods floating around, so with those in mind, I'm pretty safe as far as feeding goes.

You don't need to be too terribly concerned about her health as far as how she was when she came home, I checked her out before I took her and made sure she passed all of the "healthy turtle signs" I read in the box turtle manual. Aside from that, there is very little you could tell about a turtle's health just by looking, and it was a pretty close inspection. She's been thriving quite a bit since I got her, too. She didn't have her light on when I went to get her, and that's the only thing I saw that I didn't like out of ALL of the animal habitats when I went. She's easy to get up and interested in food, she is exploring her area, her activity level went down for a few days, which I think was due to stress from moving to a new habitat, but now she's up and active. Today I came home from school (about 3 in the afternon) and she was just sitting and chilling out in the light, which is a good sign since she hadn't done that earlier in the week.