PDA

View Full Version : A New Avatar Using Gimp

TygerTyger
July 25th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I ahve been struggling with digi-art for some time now. I've spent this morning knocking out a new avatar. It is a combination of the Ankh symbol with the Infinity symbol.

I created a tiger pattern to fill the ankh and used a fire pattern for the infinity.The background is just a galaxy photo I pulled from Google.

It took me about 2 hours in all but I'm still learning the Gimp commands!

WynterWynd
July 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
:thumbsup:Good job!

Philosophia
July 25th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Looks good! :hugz:

TygerTyger
July 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I'm not sure if the Ankh looks like it's wearing a bowtie?!

green aventurine
July 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM

lol I thought it looked quite cool myself. I was also relieved to discover the word "gimp" in your title referred to: GNU Image Manipulation Program and not something else :bigredgri

Chaos Hawk
July 25th, 2009, 09:42 AM

:lol:

When I first looked at it, I thought it was very snazy looking. Then I saw this and thought it does!

I still think it is cool looking though.

HiccupingBat
July 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Oh you tried GIMP! Nice! Hmmm, I think it's great for being a beginner at the program.

I can offer some advice on how to work with it in the future, however, I think you can really benefit from Adobe PS...whatever number it is now (PM me about that). Or a tablet might be useful? I don't know if you have one, if you do then I can offer some other advice on making the infinity less...er...bowtie-ish.

TygerTyger
July 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hey, thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

GIMP is my first use of a serious digital art package and I'm getting to quite like it now that I've figured out the more interesting controls and commands. There's still a lot to learn, however, and before I have a go at something a bit more serious I might wait a little while.

That said, I'll have some free time on my hands soon after my surgery so I might invest in Photo Shop yet!!!

green aventurine
July 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
That said, I'll have some free time on my hands soon after my surgery so I might invest in Photo Shop yet!!!

I was wondering when your surgery was coming up. Good luck with it.

With respect to photo shop, I got a free copy of Adobe elements when I bought a printer, I think, and you can find it pretty cheaply anyway, I would imagine. I don't know what level you want but Adobe elements has got most of the stuff photo shop has (or it used to a few years ago, anyway) unless you're planning on going in to professional work etc

Anyone else want to comment on elements? Feel free to correct me if that was wrong.

Cloaked Raven
July 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Tyger, I think your new avie is very cool!! You did a great job!! :thumbsup:

Shawn Blackwolf
July 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM
..Ankh Ankh...Tyger Tyger is coming through on the cosmic highway..

Nice work...done did good...:thumbsup:

Amilee
July 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
The ankh does not look like it's wearing a bowtie. haha it's beautiful and that galaxy in the background really adds to it! Keep working on that shading though. The flat lines on the back part and the patterned glowing texture on the eternity symbol need to blend better rather than looking like two seperate pieces. Make the eternity symbol your light source and work from there. Do you have an ankh you can use as a reference? Set up some light and use it to help place your shadows! I love it and I'm tough on you, but it's only because I know you've got it in ya t' be a pretty damn good artist. :thumbsup:

TygerTyger
July 28th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Cheers Amilee.

Everything you said was correct and I'll be going back to work on the image a bit more. I surprised myself with this one as it started out as just an experiment to try and learn what GIMP could do, and myself as well for that matter.

I seem to have broken through my first barrier with working in a new medium.

Amilee
July 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Well keep at it! I can see the improvement already!