PDA

View Full Version : Just the gospels?

Windsmith
July 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Sorry to crash-land in your forum here, but I have a question, and you seem like the ones who can answer.

Are there Christians (and Christian Pagans) who only follow the Gospels? That is, they reject the spiritual validity of Paul's letters and Revelation and other post-Jesus books?

If so, are these isolated individuals, or is there a particular denomination or sect under this heading, and what do they call themselves?

Thank you!

Cloaked Raven
July 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Crash land in here anytime you want. :p

Personally, I follow most of the New Testament, not just the gospels. Although I do have to admit that there is a lot of stuff in the Bible in general that I don't follow these days... :hahugh: (I consider myself more pagan than Christian)

faye_cat
August 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
I am with you. While I may agree with some of the later teachings of the new testament, I mainly follow only the Gospels.

darkNight
August 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah, well most of the NT was written for specific churches, and doesn't have universal appeal.

Corinthians where it says not to have women lead worship... that doesn't apply today because we aren't in Corinth where temple prostitution was popular.

Some things are universal, like 1 Peter where it says it is better to suffer for doing good than for doing evil... that's universal.

darkNight
August 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Sorry to crash-land in your forum here, but I have a question, and you seem like the ones who can answer.

Are there Christians (and Christian Pagans) who only follow the Gospels? That is, they reject the spiritual validity of Paul's letters and Revelation and other post-Jesus books?

If so, are these isolated individuals, or is there a particular denomination or sect under this heading, and what do they call themselves?

Thank you!

I don't reject Paul's writings, though I do reject paul as an apostle, he simply wasn't there when Jesus was doing his ministry.

I also object to some of his theology, that God "adopted" us. No, no, Paul. God created us, the parent has no need to adopt the child.

Cloaked Raven
August 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I agree with you about 1 Peter, DN... That's been my mother's mantra all of my life and it's one of the few things I agree with her on when it comes to the Bible.

darkNight
August 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it cracks me up when Christians say "turn your life over to the Lord, and it will be materially blessed and you will have health and happiness". As if!

Considering (to Christians) God's only son was nailed to a tree, I don't see why we shouldn't expect some suffering.

Lahmi
September 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
One day you'll find that Paul was indeed correct :)

oh.. and as you continue to study the scriptures you will note that
it promises that we, as christians, will indeed have problems in our lives.

Lahmi
September 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Sorry 'bout that Windsmith..

yes, there are people that have chosen to only follow the Gospels.
I am not sure how widespread a group that is though.
And I have not heard of a denomination that teaches that method.

Cunae
September 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
100% New Testament

darkNight
September 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
One day you'll find that Paul was indeed correct :)

To say this is to claim that God is not our creator.

Lahmi
September 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
to say this is to claim that god is not our creator.

lol

darkNight
September 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
indeed