PDA

View Full Version : sylvia brown

cubay
August 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I absolulty love sylvia brown,burt alot of people thnik she is just a scammer.does anyone agree with that?

jessie

Nox_Mortus
August 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM
IMO, she's completely full of shit. Here is a website that makes some very good arguments against her: http://stopsylvia.com/

Also I think there is a very long thread about her in the psychics and sensitives seciton, she's not very popular around here.

Caitlin.ann
August 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
She's so full of shit its not even funny. Its ridiculous really.

wanderer
August 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
i'm sorry but i'm not really sure how you can stand watchin her...first of all she is so rude and think's she is the coolest thing since sliced bread plus there are videos of her makin no sense at all...honestly i think she hits the opium then decides she can c the future

androgino
August 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
We are better off going to Panda Express and breaking open some fortune cookies than we would ever be to put out trust in Sylvia.

She claimed that Aramaic is the language spoken in the astral realm...

And just by going to the bookstores and seeing lots of her books with her picture all over them in the "new age" section should tell people something.. but apparently no.

Denikke
August 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Anyone who charges $500 or more for a phone line prediction has to be a fraud.
Sylvia has done a lot of irreparable damage and caused a lot of pain for a lot of people. She's way too generic in her answers and, like someone on that site said, she's like a horoscope psychic. Gives a generic reading that just about anyone can find something to connect with.
To my beliefs, and from the research I've done, and the little bit I've seen and dabbled in, psychic work takes energy. It's emotionally and mentally draining. It's not some spirit just whispering all the answers in your ear like Sylvia makes it out to be. I don't get a lot of the things that Sylvia says...she tends to go off on random tangents. And her medical advice scares me. No psychic should EVER give out definitive medical advice based on something a *spirit* told them. That sort of thing can get people killed. Dangerous, dangerous stuff to play with.
I don't believe psychics can know anything for certain. I can't remember where I read it (may have been a Sword of Truth novel) but the basic gist of the quote is: if someone wasn't all knowing in life, what makes you think the simple transition of death is going to change that?
Made sense to me. Spirits may have a slightly greater insight, but in my mind, are not all knowing.
I fully believe that there are people with *psychic powers* (I use the term loosely because I'm not sure exactly what I believe that encompasses). Sylvia Brown?? She may have started out with some abilities, but they've long since been lost. I think she's now a power monger, and very money hungry. She's raised her son to be the same way. In fact, the only other psychic she gives any credibility to, is her son. That's saying something when she won't even acknowledge any other person's abilities.

Agaliha
August 15th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I can't stand her!

First, she's just rude. I've seen her on Montel and she's so off-putting. Here these people are in desperate need for answers and she's just so blunt and bitchy. I've seen her act like this with people that recently had a loved one die, too. Ugh.

Secondly, she's a fraud. The website Nox posted is great. There are tons of articles and analysis of her readings there. Also many ex-Novus Spiritus members speaking out. Long ago I thought she might have some abilities, but when I actually paid attention, I realized she was a total fake.

A longer thread that gets into why she's disliked:
Sylvia Brown busted? (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=146692)
Has some interesting videos too.

aranarose
August 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM
She uses classic cold reading techniques, fishing for information, and then later spitting that very same information back at the person, spinning it just enough to make it sound as if she came up with it on her own.

Most of the people in her live shows are plants, as she certainly wouldn't want to look bad.

Tobias
August 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I probably have a different opinion of Sylvia Brown. After reading some of her books, I had the privilege of meeting her spirit guide, Francine. It gave me a little bit of insight into why Sylvia acts the way she does.

When I first met Francine, I was trying to call her by her real name, Iona -- or something like that; because Sylvia mentions in her book that she picked the name "Francine" but that it wasn't her spirit guide's real name. But Francine seems to have a real attitude; and told me that if "Francine" was good enough for Sylvia (who she deals with every day), then it should certainly be good enough for me!

It was later when I started watching Sylvia in person (rather than just reading her books), that I noticed many of Francine's personality traits had rubbed of on her. I suppose it's bound to happen, when you spend so much time with an entity. Francine herself has a good heart, but comes across as rather harsh and matter of fact. When Sylvia is acting this way, she is simply imitating her friend and companion.

Sylvia's methods do bother me though. When people ask her; "Am I going to be ok in the future?" She always answers "Yes". Any prophet knows that this is dependent upon what the person does with their life! Why doesn't she just say so? But I suppose she thinks that by telling people that they will succeed then the chances of them doing so does increase greatly. By doing so though, she is setting herself up as an authority figure in their lives, which only works as long as they believe wholeheartedly in her.

If Sylvia has indeed branched out into cold readings and other fake methods, then she's further gone than I thought. That's too bad. But I guess we at least can learn from her mistakes, if indeed she doesn't have anything more positive to add.

Cloaked Raven
August 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I am not a fan of hers... In fact, if someone shoved her into a cannon and sent her into the sun, I'd be VERY happy.

To be blunt, she makes me sick. :ugh:

Gaudior
August 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
No, sorry, I don't like her at all. She isn't very friendly, she charges too much, she makes bizzare claims, and I believe she once made a claim that a young man who had gone missing for quite a while was dead...he was found alive.

Stay away. Far away.

Agaliha
August 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
No, sorry, I don't like her at all. She isn't very friendly, she charges too much, she makes bizzare claims, and I believe she once made a claim that a young man who had gone missing for quite a while was dead...he was found alive.

Stay away. Far away.

Yeah, that was the Shawn Hornbeck case.
For articles: http://stopsylvia.com/articles/montel_shawnhornbeck.shtml
http://stopsylvia.com/articles/montel_shawnhornbeck2.shtml

:wtf:

Gaudior
August 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Shawn Hornbeck! That's it! Thank you!

Agaliha
August 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
No problem.

I remember that one. She was so wrong on so many levels!

Parents have stopped looking for their kids because of psychics. Or they change focus on something totally unrelated to the crime because a psychic told them to look here or there. Cops also have changed investigations because what psychics have said. I think there were cases Sylvia was involved in that did at least one of those things. Personally, I think psychics getting involved in criminal cases has more potential for harm than good. I hope Sylvia thinks twice before giving cops her 2 cents. :hrmm: