PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: The Invisible War

TygerTyger
August 18th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I came across the original instalment of this game on a budget re-release and loved it. The whole game concept was so new and refreshing giving the player options on how to develop both the character and the conclusion.

Fighting was mostly done by stealth but there were the occasional stand up fire fights but they required a degree of tactical thinking missing from many of the then current FPS's.

I picked up Invisible War also on budget but it turned out to be nowhere near as surprising as the original. The main changes were cosmetic with a new interface and the movement of the story beyond whichever version of the 'Collapse' you chose last time out.

The fighting still requires a degree of stealth to conclude successfully but you can switch sides with an alarming degree of ease an no real consequence. Whether you use tranquilizer darts or bullets doesn't seem to matter despite the fact that the game makes a big deal of being able to complete it without killing anyone!

Game progression feels much more linear and there are plenty examples of lazy programming, moving the cursor over objects that are close to larger objects can be frustrating and often requires the removal of the larger object first before they register. Animation is frequently poor and the AI pathetic in comparison to to the game's peers.

That said the game does have unique feel about it and the story is genuinely engrossing; I wanted to get to the end to see what outcomes I could influence.

Re-play value is minimal due to the poor AI, even on the more realistic settings.

Hopefully they'll do better on the next installment.

3/5.

green aventurine
August 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I heard the original was pretty good but I haven't played either - it was an interesting read. Doom was my all-time favourite first person shooter game. :)

TygerTyger
August 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Doom was a classic. Deus Ex pushed the FPS format by giving various ways to resolve tasks and by making the player think rather than just shoot.

Invisible War doesn't build upon the earlier success at all and feels rushed. There's also several incredibly long and boring speeches from some of the characters to get through. The weak AI means replaying it is easy because the enemies are always in the same place so you can predict their movement and neutralize them very easily.

You can amass a small fortune but there's nothing to spend it on other than items that appear for free and numerous points throughout the game, which seems pretty stupid!

green aventurine
August 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Doom was a classic. Deus Ex pushed the FPS format by giving various ways to resolve tasks and by making the player think rather than just shoot.

Who needs thinking when you get to use one of these? :p

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/bfg_doom.jpg