PDA

View Full Version : Shaktism and Negative Magick?

kalidasa
September 3rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Shaktism and Magick may or may not have any correlation, but my question is ... if one practices Magick and Shaktism ...

How can one protect or defend family/friends by using negative magick, or does one even do such?

I know Karma and Dharma play major roles in Shaktism, but I'm curious as to how protection and revenge will work in Hinduism/Shaktism.

kalidasa
September 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Although my question has not been answered, I have come to realize that there truly is no need for negative magick. All it does (in the ultimate end) is add to one's Karma, and Ma's intention is to help steer one clear of "strikes" against one's Karma.

I do know that Ma can be an assassin to someone who is causing me pain/harm in a way that is deserving of a blast or bane, but knowing how to do that and knowing when to do that are two different things. I still do believe "a witch who cannot hex/curse, cannot heal/cure."

I do realize that I would never call upon Kali to do such for me, but if I were to pray and feel that I needed to step in and do something for someone that I care about or even myself, I will do it in my own power and reap such consequences of my actions.

David19
September 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not too sure, but, in a lot of legends of Hindu Tantrikas, Yogis, etc, who've developed quite amazing magical powers, there have been those who've used them for "negative" ends, for example, killing others, etc, now, some would say they've fallen from the path or fallen from grace, and others might not say that.

Hope that helps :).

kalidasa
September 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I think that post confused me a bit, do you mind clarifying?

David19
September 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I just meant, that there are examples of Yogis, Tantrikas, etc who've used what some people call negative magic (e.g. they've used their magical powers to kill, 'cause harm to others, abused their powers, etc), but, also, in Hindu Myths, the Gods do use aggressive means to take care of enemies, e.g. Kali, Durga, etc slaughter demons, and others use their powers to defeat evil, so, if you're worried about using "negative" magic, then, I think there is a place for it, but, it just depends on your motives, e.g. if your motive is to use your powers to kill just for the sake of killing, that'd be a wrong motive, but, if you're defending someone or a group of people, it'd be a good motive.

Hope that was a bit clearer :).

Anubis RainHawk
September 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Shaktism and Magick may or may not have any correlation, but my question is ... if one practices Magick and Shaktism ...

How can one protect or defend family/friends by using negative magick, or does one even do such?

I know Karma and Dharma play major roles in Shaktism, but I'm curious as to how protection and revenge will work in Hinduism/Shaktism.

I guess it depends on how esoteric you want to get. Ever read about the Dasa Mahavidyas (http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/mahavidyas/)? They're the main goddess of Shakta Tantra, often feared or marginalized as they have great power and are called upon for nearly all magical ends. Each of them have mantras, yantras, and rituals (pujas) that aid in petitioning their aid as recorded in Tantric texts. Tools for Tantra by Harish Johari is a great guide towards this work, although it works best when you can work directly with a teacher as some of the pronunciation isn't the best.

If you're more interested in the theoretical and philosophical components of this type of work you might want to check out Tantric Visions of the Divine Feminine: The Ten Mahavidyas by David Kinsley.

BenSt
September 11th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I can't speak to tantra... but I think I'd offer that revenge and the idea of that is something to be contextualized. I don't know anything about esoteric magical traditions or strains in Hinduism, I know a little about mantras and using them to bring about something.

If one looks at karma, negetive karma will come about after any kind of action or thought that goes against dharma. If it is one's dharma to counteract or take revenge on someone for something that is in that persons dharma then it can be positive because you are just following fate. BUT, if you do something that is not justifiable then it goes against dharma and you take on the negative consequences.

In mythology, Gods don't seem to care what individuals do...unless it interferes with their plans, the stability of society, or threatens their power. So, I guess it comes down to what you believe and is comfortable doing. BUT, I'd say that magick is tied directly to the manifest world, and if your goal is non-attachment then practicing magick will counter that goal.

el123
September 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Just thought I'd add to this. I was diagnosed with an illness that has no cure many years back. I figured (as a Buddhist) this was due to my bad past life karma. But as I got sicker and was finding it hard to get doctors to take on my case. I turned to Kali for help. At first I asked her to cure me but months went by and it was like i was feeling my life draining from me. I then realised how selfish I was by asking this. I then changed. Instead of selfishly asking for things I only prayed that she would be present in my life. In a few months I got the right doctors and a few months after that about half my symptoms had gone away. Obviously I am still sick. But I hope that Kali would one day realise I have repented and release me from my bad karma. I feel like I have become a better, more spiritual person as a result.
Anyway my point is all Hindu gods can help you positively or negatively. But if you are selfish, even if your wish comes true it could consume or destroy you. A better option would be to worship and offer devotion and they will bless you as they feel fit.