PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow of the Dalai Lama

David19
September 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Has anyone been to this site before 'The Shadow of The Dalai Lama' (http://www.trimondi.de/SDLE/Index.htm), I found it, probably, a few months ago now, and, I'm not really sure what to make of it, some of the articles I do enjoy (especially the ones about Tibetan Buddhist magic), others I'm not so sure of. I think you should question everything, and I do know that there are dark sides to all religions and cultures, and that the relationship between a Guru, or Lama, especially in Tantra, can definitely be abused, but, that shouldn't colour the whole tradition. I also think the site is coming from a western background too much, for example, among its criticisms of Tibetan Buddhism and the Dalai Lama, it includes a belief in occultism and magic, to me, that's not much of a criticism (maybe 'cause I, and many people here, believe in those things), and also shows it doesn't know too much about Tibetan culture, as, from what I've learnt and I think MW member, Meabh23 has said, the Tibetan people are not "superstitious", not all of them anyway, many are highly skeptical.

Anyway, I'd be really interested to know what your thoughts are on this, or if you've seen it before.

Thanks.

BenSt
September 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I havnt had much chance to read this, but I thought I'd just put this out. Vajrayana Buddhism is quite unorthodox compared to other forms of Buddhism and by comparison to say, Therevada Buddhism, it is so chock full of magic and supersticion. I thinbk that if the authors were coming from a 'purist' Buddhist sense, then that can be one criticism... but at the same time I think it is a weak criticism because you cannot compare the two. Tiobetan Vajrayana is a complete system that has developed and it does have a lot of extra stuff ontop of the Buddhiust element... but the same can be said about Therevada.

David19
September 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I havnt had much chance to read this, but I thought I'd just put this out. Vajrayana Buddhism is quite unorthodox compared to other forms of Buddhism and by comparison to say, Therevada Buddhism, it is so chock full of magic and supersticion. I thinbk that if the authors were coming from a 'purist' Buddhist sense, then that can be one criticism... but at the same time I think it is a weak criticism because you cannot compare the two. Tiobetan Vajrayana is a complete system that has developed and it does have a lot of extra stuff ontop of the Buddhiust element... but the same can be said about Therevada.

Thanks, I'm not sure what position the authors are coming from, I don't know if they're Buddhist or not, I just wanted to see what people thought of their site, whether it had some valid criticisms or whether it was just fundamentalist venom.