PDA

View Full Version : Too impatient to meditate

PaganSpirit
September 9th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you get past it? I'd really like to meditate daily, but I can't seem to build up the motivation, and when I do, I guess I'm expecting too much, because I only last a few minutes before I get frustrated and stop.

TheWomanMonster
September 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM
It's like anything else, it's a habit you have to form.
Keep trying.

amidalen
September 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I had that problem. Still do to some extent. I just keep practicing at it.

Pink_sheep
September 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Try at different times of the day. You might find it easier first thing in the morning, or in late afternoon, or later at night. Try different methods too - there's loads if you google or search this site! You might find it easier to meditate lying down, sitting up or in the bath. Maybe incence or a candle flame would help you get in the right frame of mind? It's worth a try!

Don't get discouraged too easily either - a few minutes isn't bad! Start from whatever you can (even if it's just a few seconds) and try to build it up a little more every day.

DON'T let meditation become a chore! When that happens, it's very hard to go back to seeing it as a good thing rather than just something you feel you *should* do.

Astara Seague
September 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Try at different times of the day. You might find it easier first thing in the morning, or in late afternoon, or later at night. Try different methods too - there's loads if you google or search this site! You might find it easier to meditate lying down, sitting up or in the bath. Maybe incence or a candle flame would help you get in the right frame of mind? It's worth a try!

Don't get discouraged too easily either - a few minutes isn't bad! Start from whatever you can (even if it's just a few seconds) and try to build it up a little more every day.

DON'T let meditation become a chore! When that happens, it's very hard to go back to seeing it as a good thing rather than just something you feel you *should* do.
:thumbsup:Very good advice

LilithMorgana
September 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Try meditating for five minutes a day. Then go up to ten minutes, then fifteen minutes, then twenty minutes.

I do agree with TheWomanMonster. It is simply making it a habit. If you meditate for just five minutes a day you will reap benifits. I meditate for 20 minutes everyday. Twice a day. Once when I get out of bed, and once before going to bed.

PaganSpirit
September 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks! I do like the candle flame idea, because I have found that it's easier to relax my mind with my eyes open, but only when I have something to focus on. And there's something just enchanting to me about a dancing flame.

TheWomanMonster
September 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks! I do like the candle flame idea, because I have found that it's easier to relax my mind with my eyes open, but only when I have something to focus on. And there's something just enchanting to me about a dancing flame.

When I meditate it's almost always a candle meditation.
Or staring at the ocean when that's available.

sleepycat
September 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
There ares LOTS of ways to meditate. Westerners tend to focus on the "empty mind" concept, which is hard for anyone not raised in that tradition. You can meditate by chanting, drumming, dancing or singing. My fav is drumming. Muscle memory takes over the motion and the 'self' goes away. Very cool.

The point to this Pisces ramble is "find something that 'clicks' for you."

watersprite
September 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you get past it? I'd really like to meditate daily, but I can't seem to build up the motivation, and when I do, I guess I'm expecting too much, because I only last a few minutes before I get frustrated and stop.
I do mine at night. First I cut the ties that bound me during the day. It rids me of the distractions of man's world. No TV, quiet music if any. Nothing jangling.
Usually, I already have a topic to let in my head, and I stay there.
I am able to work it out in 20 minutes. Or save it for another time.
It took me a long time to build up to that. Ba a little patient with yourself.

daphnerose
September 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
The only thing I would add is, even if its only for a few minutes at a time its a start, and don't let it frustrate you. While your in the bath next time, visualize the water cleansing away all your negative thoughts...before you get out of bed in the morning imagine your body filled with a glowing soft light. Little things like that will help to get you in the frame of mind to relax. We make things harder than they really are sometimes. It doesn't have to be this perfect crossed legged hours long process for it to be meaningful. Those little moments are just as important!
Good luck!
daphnerose

Andyr
September 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
It is extreemly difficult to carry out normal meditation where I am at the moment so I take advantage of short 5 mins here and there during the day when out and about, sounds a bit bizarre but in that situation I meditate better with my eyes open rather than shut...

Also what helped me allot to shut out the mental chatter and distractions around you (like other people are a pita) Run a bath and put your head back and let your ears go below the water and let the water arch your back up as if you were trying to float in the sea... You will notice that everyday noise is almost zero and you can hear your breathing ! makes it pretty damn easy to focus then :thumbsup:

I do have an interesting what I would call a self induced NDE story to tell when I was doing it this way once, but will save that for another thread and day lol

PaganSpirit
September 10th, 2009, 02:53 AM
sounds a bit bizarre but in that situation I meditate better with my eyes open rather than shut...
l

Not bizarre at all, I find that it's harder to shut out my thoughts with my eyes closed because there's nothing specific to focus on.

Windsmith
September 10th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Some of the best advice I've received on that front (from Cheri Huber's The Fear Book) is that if you feel impatient, observe the impatience. Examine it. See what it has to teach you, or what it's shielding you from. Same thing with boredom, tiredness, anxiousness, etc. Anything that comes up, look at it. Don't let it take you over, but don't try to push it away or push it down, either.

Mnemosyne
September 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I've gone in streaks with keeping up with my meditation practice too. Currently, my favorite time to meditate is in the evening. It helps me unwind after my day. Lately, I've been practicing yoga a lot more. My yoga practice has kept me mindful of meditation.

KC Destroyer of Worlds
September 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I have the same problem. I've been working on dance/ muscle control meditation that has really helped me to gain focus.

Gaudior
October 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
There is no specific time limit for meditation. Five minutes can be just as meaningful to you as an hour's worth of meditation.

How do you meditate? There are plenty of ways to meditate. I personally meditate with mudras and mantras, but it can be as simple as concentrating on your breath or on something or someone.

Be patient with yourself. Meditation is all about learning patience, and you can do this little by little. Don't try to master it in one night. Take baby steps. You'll get it soon :)

bellamandu
October 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
i found that until i got used to it, that tai chi worked very well for me as a form of meditation. until you gain the patience for other forms of meditation down the road, this might be a good thing to try.

Wood Nymph
November 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
There ares LOTS of ways to meditate. Westerners tend to focus on the "empty mind" concept, which is hard for anyone not raised in that tradition. You can meditate by chanting, drumming, dancing or singing. My fav is drumming. Muscle memory takes over the motion and the 'self' goes away. Very cool.

The point to this Pisces ramble is "find something that 'clicks' for you."

This is true. I do both "standard" meditations as well as drumming and spinning meditations. With standard meditations, I generally also incorporate Reiki.

I find that when doing something like drumming or spinning, that I tend to trance out fairly easily. Once in such a trance, it is quite possible to have visions.