PDA

View Full Version : Christian witches and autumnal equinox

zionwood
September 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
so...are any Christian witches, etc., celebrating the autumnal equinox this year, and how so?
i have a ritual and possibly some "pilgrimages" planned...one ritual adapted from Silver Ravenwolf's "Harvest Moon" ritual in her book about Halloween (yeah, i know not everyone likes her, but this ritual caught my eye 'cause she says she wrote it "for an individual of any faith" and it seemed appropriate for autumn equinox even tho it was in the Halloween book.) I intend to watch the sun set (straight west!) on the equinox day, if possible, and my area's Pagan Pride Day is the following weekend, so i intend to hang out there, there should be some cool stuff and maybe some people i know.

faye_cat
September 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

SRW has some good stuff once in awhile lol. I don't think I'm going to be doing anything really important, maybe just say a candlelight prayer or something.

moondust47
September 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm puzzled?Didn't know you could be both Christian and a Witch.Can someone enlighten me please,as i thought it was a pagan belief/wican.:weirdsmil

faye_cat
September 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm puzzled?Didn't know you could be both Christian and a Witch.Can someone enlighten me please,as i thought it was a pagan belief/wican.:weirdsmil
Witch is anyone who practices magic (or magick, if that's your flavor lol). So it is possible.

Cloaked Raven
September 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Christian Witchcraft is one of the many paths under the Christo-Paganism umbrella.

I wrote an article about it in the latest MW Magazine if you want to read a basic overview.

http://mysticwicksmagazine.com/?p=781

I hope this helps. :)

Back to the topic.....

I did some candlelit prayers for the equinox. Samhain will be my big celebration, to welcome the new year and the start of the next turn of the Wheel of the Year.

HerbGurl
September 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
What is everyone doing this year for the equinox? I don't know what I will be doing, as I do not know my work schedule yet. When I was a "full" Pagan, I would commemorate the Mysteries of Demeter and Persephone, but I don't feel right doing that. I was thinking of celebrating the Kyriat as described in Nancy Chandler Pittman's book, Christian Wicca: The Trinitarian Tradition:

Mabon or the Autumn Equinox celebrates the feast of the
second harvest among the farming communities and earth-based
religions of Europe. For Christians, we can also take part in this feast of Thanksgiving as the Feast Kyriat when Jesus fed the multitude.
Christian Wicca, Nancy Chandler Pittman Pg. 101-102.
What is everyone else doing?

Cloaked Raven
September 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm doing the same thing I did last year. :)

scrumpygirl13
September 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think I'm going to have a feast with my friends - we're going to try to have a bonfire and grill out amongst the elements. I think I'm going to an apple orchard to pick my own apples for a pie later that evening. As far as ritual, since none of my friends are on the same path I figure I will do something alone later - or maybe my boyfriend will be up for joining in since he's been pretty interested lately. We shall see.

LadyDryad
September 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I'm going to prepare a feast of things that have been newly harvested. Probably bake some fruit thing for dessert, and just enjoy the day. I'm hoping it'll be a gorgeous autumn day, and not soggy and wet!

Cloaked Raven
September 11th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Your celebrations sound wonderful. :smile:

LadyDryad
September 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Ooook...just noticed it's in the middle of the week. That changes things a bit...guess I'll be celebrating on the following weekend, because I have class that evening from 4:30-6:30.

scrumpygirl13
September 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
i'm pretty lucky that i am off on tuesday and wednesday so i'm pretty excited about celebrating! also means i'll probably imbibe quite a bit of wine...

LadyDryad
September 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Did it go as planned for everyone?

Mine totally didn't...I had a class, and then ended up doing a bunch of other things that were in no way what I wanted to do.

Cloaked Raven
September 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I didn't do anything this year... Since we lost Nanny so close to it, my heart just wasn't in doing even the smallest of rituals this year. :(

scrumpygirl13
September 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
mine didn't. i ended up starting my second job tuesday and worked wednesday night as well. got home both nights with intentions to do something but was exhausted :(

HerbGurl
September 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I actually didn't really celebrate either. It was busy at work, and by the time I got home, I was exhausted. Also, my parents think that I am complete Christian now, and would probably flip out if I lugged all of my old Wiccan supplies out to the driveway to do a Circle. Oh well.

zionwood
September 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
my equinox celebration was pretty low-key...little ritual at lunch the Saturday before...but i got out under the full on Wednesday night. lovely

HerbGurl
October 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Just realized that the Feast Day of Saint Michael and All Angels (http://fullhomelydivinity.org/articles/angels.htm) is on September 29th, right around the equinox. I think I am going to work that into my celebration next year...