PDA

View Full Version : Mabon is soon! Advice needed

Cambria
September 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Inspired by RaheemsMusing's thread on Samhain, I'd need some advice from you all about Mabon. Who is celebrating it? What are you doing? As I mentioned in the other thread I'm new to being "active" about celebrations and starting to be a bit more open with being Pagan..my husband is indifferent and supportive, but none of our friends know. I've decorated the dining room and the alter which I'm debating about leaving out when we have our "Welcoming Autumn" potluck supper this Saturday..just not sure I'm in the mood to expose myself to stupid questions and wise cracks about being a witch...ya know?:hairred:

It's the closest to actively celebrating Mabon with people that I've come to..so anyone have suggestions on what to serve? I'm responsible for the meat dish..thanks in advance ;)

brymble
September 17th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Do you, your husband, or your friends hunt? Many (but certainly not all) omnivorous Pagans like to celebrate the Sabbats with game they've hunted themselves. Others choose poultry dishes like turkey. Many celebrate it identically to the secular Thanksgiving.

Mabon is the fruit harvest. Even omnivores may wish to play up dishes featuring fresh fruits and veggies. Dishes featuring squash, apples, pears, tomatoes, and whatever is local and in season are the most traditional.

Samhain is the meat harvest, when animals too weak to survive the winter would be culled, so meat dishes are more important to Samhain celebrations than Mabon. I have known people who were otherwise vegetarians who consider the symbolism of consuming another conscious life so important to Samhain that they would eat one symbolic meat dish on Samhain, and eat tofu for the rest of the year! As a vegetarian myself, although I don't agree with this practice in my own life, I have great respect for it because it was done with awareness and meaning, and regardless of what you serve or how you decorate, that is the single most important aspect of Sabbat celebrations.

Mabon is a harvest festival of gratitude and feasting, but it is not the secluar Thanksgiving. I feel with it's traditional turkey (or tofurkey in our case) and dressing meal, parades and football on the idiot box, and relatives snoozing on the couch, Thanksgiving has its own uniqueness that should be appreciated as Thanksgiving, and allowed to be itself. Likewise, I feel Mabon should be allowed to be its own self, not an earlier, Pagan-themed version of the secular holiday. So even though Mabon may be similar to Thanksgiving with its celebrations of feasting and family, I think in planning it should be allowed to have its own flair. Maybe consider something other than turkey?

Trying to be helpful in my dilemma of planning a vegetarian feast for kids who have suddenly developed a dislike of the stuffed delicata squash I've relied upon for past Sabbats, a poster on the other board suggested I create some festive pot pies. What a great idea! Pies give you the opportunity to experiment and show off your creative skills without a dependency on the same-old-same-olds like roasts or stuffed squash. Since Mabon is the time when food is prepared for winter storage, and pies are easily frozen, consider indulging in a pie-making frenzy for the whole winter! Mabon is an excellent time for pies. Consider a traditional shepherd's pie (made as it should be, with mutton, not beef), or a gravy-filled pot pie featuring venison. And if you still want to get your turkey on, a big, impressive pot pie with pasrty cut-outs trimming the crust is a good way to go without predictability. And don't be limited to the standard definition of "pie", either. Consider cornbread, polenta, crumbles, or herb bread as a topping or crust. How about flipping things around, instead of stuffing a bird with bread, stuff a bread with poultry!

Other dishes to consider are dishes featuring home-canned preserves, butters, pickles and jellies, and dishes that use up the last of summer garden surplus, like zucchini bread or green tomatoes.

Cambria
September 17th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Wow what great culinary and spiritual advice. Thanks so much brymble! :thumbsup:

EverChanging
September 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Are there any local rituals going on that you could maybe sit in on? You'd be with like people.

Cambria
September 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Are there any local rituals going on that you could maybe sit in on? You'd be with like people.

There is one, I read it on the website of the local magickal store...but I'm shy..:/ One day I'll have to kick myself in the butt and just go.

Well, in other news our autumn equinox supper went very well Saturday. After a bit of wine the subject of religion came up (touchy I know..) and in a great conversation there was a moment where I mentioned that I consider myself an eclectic Pagan, and it was really well received by our friends. They were positive and related it to "the religion of nature and mother earth" which I thought was a mature response.

Everyone had a wonderful time and someone even proposed that we rotate the seasonal meal at each of the couple's homes..one for each season. :smile:

brymble
September 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Who's bringing the dessert? I recommend half-moon cookies. We're making a vanilla/spice version called Harvest Half moons that have cinnamon sugar sprinkled on one half of a big vanillia-frosted spice cookie.

Cambria
September 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Who's bringing the dessert? I recommend half-moon cookies. We're making a vanilla/spice version called Harvest Half moons that have cinnamon sugar sprinkled on one half of a big vanillia-frosted spice cookie.

Oh it was this last Saturday, one of the couples brought home baked apple pie and ice cream. Very yummy. But those cookies sound delicious!! Great idea