PDA

View Full Version : Question - meditation images and thoughts

Burning Angel
September 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
How do you control your imagination so it doesn't interfere with the real stuff you're seeing? I hear all sorts of "interference" is pretty normal...but does anyone else have an imagination that a) is obsessed with sci-fi and fantasy, mythology, and cosmic stuff in general, and b) knows what it wants to see, rather than what it's seeing and kinda takes over?

It's so hard to get back on track once my head barges in and ruins the whole train of thought :hairred:

By Star And Sword,
~Jon~ :cheers:

kaosxmage
September 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Stay focused on your breathing. You can use a little mantra from my early days that helped. It's simply telling yourself, "the breath comes in," while you breathe in, followed by, "the breath goes out" when you breathe out.

That will help occupy your mind. When you find your mind drifting away, go back to your mantra. Don't panic or get upset. Just relax. Take a deep breath and start over.

--Kaos

WildThing
September 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM
For me it helps to be a solid motivation for meditating properly. Elsewise my brain gets "lazy" and starts chattering on about how this and that would be a great story, something to work on, talk about, asap. When I was meditating for my pagan school homework for example, I had NO issues. When I meditate before ritual or because I truly know that if I don't I'll be mess, no issues with my overactive brain. Wonderful, educative, enlightening meditation. But if I meditate just 'cause, I can't really do it that well.

For alot of people I know, it helps to patiently go through the process of grounding and centering first, and settling a kind of quiet in the mind (without thinking too hard on how exactly to do that).
And alot of people find what the person above me suggested, really helpful.

So try a few things. ^_^ don't feel too stressed if one method or combination doesn't work. Don't overthink it. And good luck!

Neville
September 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Slap me thrice and hand me to me Mamma.

How do you control your imagination so it doesn't interfere with the real stuff you're seeing? I hear all sorts of "interference" is pretty normal...but does anyone else have an imagination that a) is obsessed with sci-fi and fantasy, mythology, and cosmic stuff in general, and b) knows what it wants to see, rather than what it's seeing and kinda takes over?

And from Uncle Neville's favourite quote's

Imagination finds a road to the realm of the Gods. And there we can glimpse that which is to be after the soul's liberation from the world of substance.
Kahlil Gibran.
1883-1931

Over to you to work the Math :)

With love Neville aka Thread killer

Neville
September 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
OK..Not enough I know,,

What use is the imagination in Consciousness projection?

I think J K Rowling..JRR Tolkien. CS Lewis, Terry Pratchet ,Lewis Carrol , J.M Barrie ,Clive Barker etc realise the environments of their Novels because they have been there in their in their Minds journeys.

Tolkein Knew Middle Earth because he had been there in meditation. Rowling knew well her environment of Hogwarts et al.

It goe's further...Beethoven, Mozart imagined their Music... In 3D Environments to produce emotional resonances among the listener...

What you regard as Imagination ..Is real enough.

Love Neville xxxx

daphnerose
September 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Well, if I'm having a hard time focusing, I will count my breathes..four in four hold four out four hold, etc. Also there are times that these images can serve a purpose. If I'm having the same images in my head each time I meditate, I will allow it to take its course. I've found that if I have something pop in my head while I'm meditating its there for a reason. Whether or not I choose to focus on it at the time depends, but even if I don't I will generally write about it in my journal after I meditate. That too helps me to figure things out.
When you say that you have syfy visuals while meditating, is it that your brain just isn't slowing down and relaxing, or are these things popping up after you're relaxed and your in that state of mindfulness?
daphnerose

Neville
September 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well, if I'm having a hard time focusing

Concentration is not condusive to relaxation..This is why some people experience frustration and feel thwarted.

I prefer to drift...

Love Neville xxxx

Astral Traveler
September 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
When I meditate, I usually let my subconscious take me wherever I need to go.

Burning Angel
September 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM
When I meditate, I usually let my subconscious take me wherever I need to go.

This is the thing - I have a communication thing going when I meditate. The trick is, my mind fills in the blanks between the actual communications - I just want a way to shut up my head so I can focus on what's coming in :)

So Kaos - you're saying that if I breathe and kinda focus on a mantra, that actually keeps me STFUed but still lets the images and all in?

By Star And Sword,
~Jon~ :boing:

Burning Angel
September 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Well, if I'm having a hard time focusing, I will count my breathes..four in four hold four out four hold, etc. Also there are times that these images can serve a purpose. If I'm having the same images in my head each time I meditate, I will allow it to take its course. I've found that if I have something pop in my head while I'm meditating its there for a reason. Whether or not I choose to focus on it at the time depends, but even if I don't I will generally write about it in my journal after I meditate. That too helps me to figure things out.
When you say that you have syfy visuals while meditating, is it that your brain just isn't slowing down and relaxing, or are these things popping up after you're relaxed and your in that state of mindfulness?
daphnerose

I'm more talking from the perspective that I'm pretty fantasy-scifi-imagination-oriented as is - as I said before, though, I have images and thoughts that do serve a purpose. The trick is, that my imagination tends to expand on the images further than they're intended to go (rather than what was sent to me) - makes it hard to actually receive anything since I'm so busy talking :S I'm almost wondering if the communication doesn't happen as much, and I just need to take some slow periods to go with the few bursts of images.

Also, Neville had some useful ideas - but the problem is, I know when I'm seeing something from without myself - or hearing it. My imagination isn't nearly the same thing :S

By Star And Sword,

Astral Traveler
September 30th, 2009, 01:26 AM
The more you fight the images the stronger they will become. Relax and go with the flow. See where it takes you. Or, do you fear where you might end up?

Burning Angel
September 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
The more you fight the images the stronger they will become. Relax and go with the flow. See where it takes you. Or, do you fear where you might end up?

Well, it's more that I want my own images to be replaced by ones beyond. Or are they all the same in the long run? You can see my noobishness coming out :P I don't fear them at all...I welcome them :)

By Star And Sword,

Astral Traveler
September 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
If you give the less desired images the attention they are demanding, they will gradually reduce in frequency. This is all about giving your subconscious what it wants so it will give you what you want. Make your subconscious your friend.

Burning Angel
September 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM
If you give the less desired images the attention they are demanding, they will gradually reduce in frequency. This is all about giving your subconscious what it wants so it will give you what you want. Make your subconscious your friend.

So the subconscious is equally valid compared to images, thoughts and feelings that come (or seem to come from) Gods and spirits - which I guess I forgot to mention are the bulk of my imagery. I guess it's all very confusing and always has been lol...add to that the fact that my girlfriend's parents and my twins just got into a car accident, condition unknown, and you can see why I'm possibly looking a bit doofy :P

Or it could just be pagan noobery :)

By Star And Sword,

Burning Angel
September 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
So the subconscious is equally valid compared to images, thoughts and feelings that come (or seem to come from) Gods and spirits - which I guess I forgot to mention are the bulk of my imagery. I guess it's all very confusing and always has been lol...add to that the fact that my girlfriend's parents and my twins just got into a car accident, condition unknown, and you can see why I'm possibly looking a bit doofy :P

Or it could just be pagan noobery :)

By Star And Sword,

Okay, this would be called "crazy boy emos out and kills his own thread" - I think. It was awfully late last night....people might just not be in a posting frame of mind atm :P But I am gonna try to jumpstart things lol :)

Anyway, like I said above, Gods and spirits, elementals, whatever seem to be the source of the bulk of my images. But the subconscious is equally valid? And rather than restraining my imagination, I should take from it just as much, even though the source is my own head. That's what everyone's getting at?

*comes from evangelical Christianity by way of humanism...this is difficult to wrap his head around.* It's cool, though. I like the idea :)

By Star And Sword,
~Jon~ :thumbsup: