PDA

View Full Version : Human Phenology

Windsmith
October 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
When most folks think of phenology, they think of plants and birds and such. But humans are animals, too, and we have "periodic biological phenomena." I was thinking about this during my commute this morning. Even if I didn't have a single calendar available to me, I would always know when the end of a month was near by the number of cop cars lying in wait for wrong-doers in the town where I work. Likewise, I don't care what the mercury says or how far away the Equinox is, the first day my next-door neighbor sits on his back deck with his guitar is the first day of Spring.

What about the rest of y'all? What periodic biological phenomena of the human animal marks your personal calendar?

Cunae
October 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I know a snowstorm is coming when I see people in lines buying lots of toilet paper.

Shady El-Shafie
October 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
for me i can relate some of the occurance to personal difficulties/problems are headed
as i look in the sky,i see certain pattern if there is a heavy wind or certain rain i can feel that problems might come, and it happens in couple of days after

Windsmith
October 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I know a snowstorm is coming when I see people in lines buying lots of toilet paper.Love it! Thanks, MC.

spiral
October 25th, 2009, 04:32 AM
It's definitely summer when my neighbour starts doing his gardening shirtless, and when my brother starts cleaning the pool.