PDA

View Full Version : Purchase vs. PDF

Kalika
October 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
For those of you who are planning to participate in the bookclub - would you like to vote on books that would require a purchase on your part (if you don't already have them), or do you want to stick with books we can find free online?

The book club is all about the participants, so I want to get your input, please. :)

brymble
October 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM
One of the reasons why I don't participate in book discussions is because I can't afford to purchase.

la tortuga
October 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I can afford to purchase and probably will even if the book is available via pdf, simply because reading online gives me a headache.

For those who have issues with purchasing books have you tried second hand book stores? Even amazon has used books for very, very cheap. There are other websites, too, like www.swaptree.com where you swap books and things like that. Just an idea. :)

aranarose
October 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
One of the reasons why I don't participate in book discussions is because I can't afford to purchase.

Ditto.

I can afford to purchase and probably will even if the book is available via pdf, simply because reading online gives me a headache.

For those who have issues with purchasing books have you tried second hand book stores? Even amazon has used books for very, very cheap. There are other websites, too, like www.swaptree.com where you swap books and things like that. Just an idea. :)

Love used bookstores and swaps, but I can't even afford bus money, let alone postage to do a swap or to buy a book!

la tortuga
October 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Ditto.

Love used bookstores and swaps, but I can't even afford bus money, let alone postage to do a swap or to buy a book!

Ah, understood. One of those situations where a PDF would probably be best. Again, I have no problem with selecting a book that is available via PDF other than that it limits some selections, but I'd probably buy a copy, anyway.

aranarose
October 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Ah, understood. One of those situations where a PDF would probably be best. Again, I have no problem with selecting a book that is available via PDF other than that it limits some selections, but I'd probably buy a copy, anyway.

For the most part, I really do prefer having a book in hand. But my finances right now make that an impossibility, so I'm very, very thankful for the books that are available by free pdf and podcast :)

la tortuga
October 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
For the most part, I really do prefer having a book in hand. But my finances right now make that an impossibility, so I'm very, very thankful for the books that are available by free pdf and podcast :)

Ah, yes, especially those that are out of print! :D

brymble
October 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
My best friend owns a second-hand online bookselling business, and I'm in the awkward position of not wanting to ask for free books even though she'd probably send them if she has them, and not wanting to buy from anyone else.

I prefer hardcopy, too. But pdf's are convenient enough, and free.

faye_cat
October 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I prefer hardcopy, too. But pdf's are convenient enough, and free.
Same. I can't afford to buy even one book, unless I got really lucky.

Kalika
October 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ok. So... it sounds like we should stick with PDF's for now, and see how it goes.... then we'll tackle other options later.

Sound good?

Corvis Canis Latrans
October 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM

You might check the interlibrary loan services at your local library. Those are usually free, and depending on how extensive the network is you can get almost anything.

Of course, then you run into time constraints, both waiting for it to arrive, and then having to return it in a given amount of time. But it might be a possibility.

Me? I don't participate because I don't like reading for pleasure on a schedule...:weirdsmil

Agaliha
October 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Libraries were my first suggestion for those that can't purchase the books. Most libraries will have the fiction books suggested and if a particular branch near you doesn't, you can put a hold on it and request it to be sent there for pickup. ;)

BryonMorrigan
October 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
You guys are talking about stuff that is available "for free" online, as opposed to stuff that is illegally put out on file-sharing services...right? (*)

(*) ...said the guy whose sole income comes from the sale of stuff he writes...

Kalika
October 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
We're not allowed to post any books on here that are illegally copied online so far as I know... so it would be things that are allowed in the MW Library I would think.

brymble
October 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Libraries were my first suggestion for those that can't purchase the books. Most libraries will have the fiction books suggested and if a particular branch near you doesn't, you can put a hold on it and request it to be sent there for pickup. ;)

Libraries are the best options for those of us who don't have outstanding late fines...:bigredblu

Ben Gruagach
October 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM
We're not allowed to post any books on here that are illegally copied online so far as I know... so it would be things that are allowed in the MW Library I would think.

I seriously hope that's what everyone means. There are a lot of "free" PDFs of books floating around on the internet that are actually illegal copies. Illegal copies hurt the authors and make it much less likely for those very authors to produce future books. (If they can't get money from their writing they often have to give up writing to take other work... bills don't pay themselves.)

Please support authors by buying their books if you can, or else get legal copies from your library, borrow them from friends, or buy them through the used book market.

Ben Gruagach
October 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Libraries are the best options for those of us who don't have outstanding late fines...:bigredblu

You might want to talk to the librarians and see if there is a way for you to "work off" the fines by volunteering.

la tortuga
October 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
You might want to talk to the librarians and see if there is a way for you to "work off" the fines by volunteering.

Our libraries allow us to pay off a little bit each time we check out a book, so that may be helpful as advice, as well. :)