PDA

View Full Version : Look out! Pantheist in the kitchen!

Poledra
November 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
If I could, I would be a kitchen witch. I love cooking, baking, mixing and experimenting, and then. . . love love love eating and feeding others. I still love reading about other people's spiritual experiences in the kitchen, mixing magic into the food they create. I'm slowly coming to the realization that pantheism doesn't mean I have to leave all that magic to the kitchen witches though!

Let's start with baking, I think the fact that you can take flour, water, a little sugar and this weird substance, mix, add heat and end up with the heavenly smell of baking bread that is currently wafting from my oven! Yeast must be the most amazing substance in the kitchen, leading to lovely leavened baked goods that is all the magic I need.

The act of creating food for others is also a very grounding and natural experience for me, and I think that I will be embracing my kitchen witchy tendencies more, bringing more ritual and focus to my daily cooking. I want to watch the way ingredients change as I process them, the way flavours meld and mix, and especially, watch the way eating food brings incredible emotional responses in people - evoking memories and feelings from what is essentially a bodily function.

Does anyone else care to explore the way pantheism and kitchen witchery are more closely related? Does anyone else have closet kitchen witch tendencies?

What about other secret spiritual leanings you've felt you had to leave behind in embracing pantheism?

Poledra

bellamandu
November 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
I think I have quite a few kitchen witch tendencies.

And also, just to add: In my experiences, since I have come to know myself as a panthiest, I don't at all feel like I have had to leave behind any aspects of my spiritual life. In fact, quite to the contrary. If anything, spirituality and tendencies I have had in the past have become a bigger part of my life now because I actually know what I am now. (or at least as damn near close as I am ever going to be able to "term" myself as)

And looking back at my words, I've realized that none of that makes any sense at all, which is just how I like it. :giggle:

TygerTyger
November 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
I do a bit of cooking but never thought of it as a spiritual matter, until I read Poledra's initial post.

It had neevr quite occurred to me that there can be something 'magical' about producing cooked food. I need to think upon this some more!

*oonagh*
November 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
hmmm...well cooking is like manufacturing items out of raw materials. the finished product is different yet made up of all the parts. it's all divine energy.

i was thinking about witchcraft and pantheism a little while ago and wondered (and still do a little bit) if one can practice witchcraft and be pantheist.

Windsmith
November 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Poledra,

If anything, I've become more comfortable naming myself a cottage witch since also being embraced by Pantheism. The word always felt weird to me before. But once I got a better grip on my belief about what magic is (the alteration of circumstances through the alteration of self), I was able to see just what you're talking about: the magic of everyday acts. Cooking and baking, in particular, are magnificent dances of destruction and creation. Feeding others strengthens the magic of community. These are real transformations, real magical acts - no belief in supernatural entities needed.

You may enjoy this TED talk: Peter Reinhart on Bread (http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/peter_reinhart_on_bread.html)